Clip or magazine?

Zeus

We all know what is inferred when using the word "clip" where "magazine" should be used. To many purists it's annoying when the terms get mixed up. It's not that big a deal to me but I'd like for people to understand the difference.

thereisadifference2.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

I'm not a "purist" so it does not really bother me either way? I have slipped and said clip before.

However I don't like when people get bent over which word was used? We all understand what was being said. That's good enough for me.

Anyways, nice presentation. Time to put the clip back on the chip bag, set the Guns and Ammo magazine down and do something productive ;)

I'm not a "purist" so it does not really bother me either way? I have slipped and said clip before.

However I don't like when people get bent over which word was used? We all understand what was being said. That's good enough for me.

Anyways, nice presentation. Time to put the clip back on the chip bag, set the Guns and Ammo magazine down and do something productive ;)

lol....Guns and Ammo. I gave up on most gun rags years ago. I got tired of the same old comparisons. The same old writers rehashing things that make no difference to me. My biggest beef is the fact that I've never seen a bad review. A lot of junk out there has been recommended because advertisers pay the magazine good money. Not really unbiased.

I do subscribe to 1 shooting related magazine....Handloader.

No time for productivity while I'm on vacation.....too much relaxing to do!

The term is now interchangeable to the point of being ubiquitous. So much so that it is somewhat of a running joke for some.

It can also used in an as a douche-o-meter with stunning accuracy....try it out on you least favorite gun shop staff or other loathsome range brethren.

lol....Guns and Ammo. I gave up on most gun rags years ago. I got tired of the same old comparisons. The same old writers rehashing things that make no difference to me. My biggest beef is the fact that I've never seen a bad review. A lot of junk out there has been recommended because advertisers pay the magazine good money. Not really unbiased.

I do subscribe to 1 shooting related magazine....Handloader.

No time for productivity while I'm on vacation.....too much relaxing to do!

I've noticed this too! I know there must be bad reviews of new guns but I don't remember seeing one ever! lol.

I try to be precise when talking about such things as "clips" and "magazines". However, I don't really care when the words are used interchangeably...what does bother me is when people who don't know which end of the tube the round comes out of tries to dictate to me what size clip/magazine I "need"!

The term "magazine" didn't appear until after the 1911 was invented (seems to appear for the first time in the 1917 U.S. Expeditionary Forces manual). So what did John Browning call the thing that held the bullets in his beloved pistol? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guest bkelm18

It doesn't bother me. I even use "clip" when discussing things with non-firearm folks just because everyone knows what a "clip" is thanks to the movies, but some people might not know what a "magazine" is.

It doesn't matter. But I've always felt that some of the guys who have been into firearms for a long time use this as a kinda snob move against newer shooters.

I think you may be right, and think you might hit a nerve with a comment like that.......high five!;)

It doesn't matter. But I've always felt that some of the guys who have been into firearms for a long time use this as a kinda snob move against newer shooters.

We have a winner!!!

I know the difference, but don't really care. The term "magazine" was invented by the U.S. Military to keep the soldiers in line with lingo especially when filling out requisition sheets (they also use terms like "kinetic military action" to refer to attacking Libya, WTF?). The difference in terms has very little "real world" use to the average US citizen because we aren't filling out requisition sheets to arm an entire division, and in truth, that was the only reason a distinction was made.

At least its all in fun for once. My favorite was someone explaining to me how a 9.2 mm diameter bullet is a smaller caliber than a 9mm. Sometimes guns stuff is just funny like that. He was (and still is) totally convinced that caliber and diameter are unrelated...

I sent my wife a text message in Dec with some Christmas gift ideas. One was gun magazines. I proceeded to explain that I wanted magazines that hold bullets, not magazines you read. She replied "I know, I'm not stupid", I guess she's a keeper

As for the term, I refer to them as magazines 100% of the time, but if someone says they need a clip for their Glock 19 I fully understand their question. No correction needed. As a matter of fact I her the term "clip" used at gun shows ALL the time. I wonder if the orginal GI's still called them clips. How long did it take to consistantly refer to them as magazines?

BTW, if only proper military terms are correct, then we need to change this website to TN Rifle, Sidearm and Shotgun Owners (TRSSO for short).

And just for fun, even though I never have before, I will swear off the word magazine and only use the word clip.