A Good Day..

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

Never thought I would get a bird on the first day, especially after this morning and not hearing anything.

about 10 minutes after getting setup this afternoon had 2 come in, one was a great turkey, strutting the all the way in but just as slow as he could, after about 15 minutes of him not giving me a shot he finally showed up from behind a tree at roughly 35 yards.. I must have pulled high on him when I shot because he just turned and ran, I shot again. and he kept on going..

I checked for blood and actually followed him for a little bit, he never slowed down. still can't believe I missed him, thats turkey hunting.

After that, I still felt the spot I was in was good and it was early so I moved my decoys about 15 yards and setup on another tree and started calling.

By the 2nd hit on the box call I had another Tom standing in the distance gobbling at my decoys.

I only had to call once or twice more and he came in and gave me a perfect 10 yard shot.

I just should have waited until he turned because I shot the hole you see in his tail.

He had a 9 inch beard, 19 lbs and 1"spurs

Heading back out tomorrow..

4-upon2011-04-02at17125.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice turkey glad you got one. I past on one this morning with a 6 or 7 inch beard. I'm holding out for a good one. Going back in the morning before church. Maybe I will see a nice one. I know their there just been stubborn today. Again nice bird.

Guest Bronker

Nice bird! Good for you!

I had one of the weirdest things happen to me today that I can imagine. Me and my 8 year-old set up on the back of our big pasture just at daylight. The birds pitched just after daylight into a field about 150 yds away. I started calling them, and three toms set on a trot coming for us. All three of them gobbling and strutting. When they got about 75 yds out, the strangest thing I've ever had happen...happened!

As they hit the 75 yard mark, a doe jumped from her bed in a blow-down, right in front of them! She was only about 30-40 yards from us and likely would have been intent to sit tight had they not jumped her. She had to have known we were there, and must have let them birds pitch off of the roost over her head. Well, when she busted out, the toms went berserk!

I managed to call them back into about 100 yds, but they henned up, and off they went.

I managed to get a total of 6 toms within sight (50-100 yds or so), but no shots taken.

Still...a great day!

Guest GunTroll

Nice guy!

Let them periscope if possible next time. I almost did the same thing to mine today but thought of it the last second.