S&W revolver crazy

Guest carter

Guest carter

:tough:so...just purchased ANOTHER Smith... S&W 586 4" was wandering what yall thought about this weapon...anyone have one... its an early 80's prelock... no dash...i think i got a steal on it...or maybe i got takin to the bank... $400

pix333061456.jpg

pix328779583.jpg

Edited by carter
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had many 586’s and 686’s. I carried them as a duty weapon when cops still carried revolvers. You just can’t do any better than an L-frame Smith & Wesson for a house or target/range/competition gun.

Prices have gone crazy in the last few years on all guns. I see 686’s priced at $600 used, so I think you probably got a good deal.

Guest carter
Can never have enough Smiths and that is an excellent price.

FYI, there was a recall on the 586 no dashes. Is there an "M" stamped on the yoke? Google it.

no just says AEWxxxx MOD 586 ... heck the grips alone are probley worth 100 bucks...

I love the 586 and 686's...$400 is unheard of anymore for a smith wheel gun in that kind of shape. I was at a gun show last weekend and guys were carrying rusted out smith's of all kinds asking more than that. I have a 686 and am ashamed to even say what I paid for it after seeing your post.

Great gun, Great price...seems almost unheard of lately!!!

Guest Ken45
I love the 586 and 686's...$400 is unheard of anymore for a smith wheel gun in that kind of shape. I was at a gun show last weekend and guys were carrying rusted out smith's of all kinds asking more than that. I have a 686 and am ashamed to even say what I paid for it after seeing your post.

Great gun, Great price...seems almost unheard of lately!!!

Wow, that's interesting. I would have to check but IIRC I paid slightly higher than $400 for a new 686 fifteen years ago. It's nice to know that they are appreciating in value :D

To the OP, that's a nice gun and a nice price. My 4" 686 is my favorite wheel gun. Originally I bought a 6" but swapped it (even) for a 4". I like the balance of the 4" better than the 6".

Ken

Guest motonut
Wow, that's interesting. I would have to check but IIRC I paid slightly higher than $400 for a new 686 fifteen years ago. It's nice to know that they are appreciating in value :)

To the OP, that's a nice gun and a nice price. My 4" 686 is my favorite wheel gun. Originally I bought a 6" but swapped it (even) for a 4". I like the balance of the 4" better than the 6".

Ken

Still have the 686 (4", no dash) I bought new somewhere around 1986. Still have the original box with the $329.99 price sticker on it. I have no plans to ever sell that gun.
no just says AEWxxxx MOD 586 ...

carter,

Great buy on one of best named S&Ws..., "The .357 Distinguished Combat Magnum"

Your 586 is a Nov 84 build. In 1987 S&W recalled 586 and 586-1 L Frames to install a new hammer nose. There were alignment issues with the older design. The modification was noted with a "M" stamp like one pictured below on my 586-1.

orhzdt.jpg

If you think it needs fixing, its my understanding that S&W will still do it under warranty at no cost. S&W customer service, 1-800-331-0852.

Guest carter

thanks DMark... yea it dosen't have an M, it was my understanding that if there is a malfunction, it will do it with 357 magnum rounds... not 38 but i will look into sending it in ... i read there might be an AD or the cylender could possibley bind up

:tough:so...just purchased ANOTHER Smith... S&W 586 4" was wandering what yall thought about this weapon...anyone have one... its an early 80's prelock... no dash...i think i got a steal on it...or maybe i got takin to the bank... $400

pix333061456.jpg

pix328779583.jpg

I have that same gun. The 4" is the one to have!

thanks DMark... yea it dosen't have an M, it was my understanding that if there is a malfunction, it will do it with 357 magnum rounds... not 38 but i will look into sending it in ... i read there might be an AD or the cylender could possibley bind up

carter, really don't know how big a deal it all is. I have a M581 without the M and never a problem with it.

The good news is that I think S&W will pay the shipping for the recall work. So..., if you do return it you might as well have a little "custom shop" time spent on it also. :D

Here is my 586.

2sbv7dk.jpg