Things to know about Tennessee

Guest UberDuper

I moved here from the UK, two years ago & everything these guys have said is true.

'Sir & Ma'am' go a long way as do; 'Please, Thank you & You're Welcome'

Driving in the country is a lesson in relaxation, the city, not so much. Turn signals are indeed, optional (as are brake lights, bumpers, windshields & tailgates)

Allergy avoidance; Don't go with meds that have the warning; ' Take 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours as needed'

What you're looking for is a Warning label that reads 'Take one & brace yerself!'

Everything you'll ever need can be found at any country Gas Station.

Grits are optional, despite what everyone will tell you! :poop:

Everyone really is as friendly as you think. It ain't an act! When someone says 'Y'all have a good day now!' They really want you to have a great day!

Distance is always measured in time. 40 miles means nothing. Depending on the route, 40 miles could be anything from 30 minutes to an hour-and-a-half.

You can't get a seat at ANY restaurant on a Sunday between 11 & 1 o'clock without a 30 minute wait.

Oh, and the opening day of Dove season is a State Holiday.

This gentleman here is hereby an official Tennessean now!!!! If only he'd start making knives again, he'd be durn near perfect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mrkirker
You'll love this! The TVA has, as far as I know, the lowest electric rates in the entire nation. I have a 2000sf house, and the electric bill averages around $200 per month. No gas or other methods of heating.

That was the case before TVA began their nuclear program, which has proved considerably more expensive than anticipated. Several states have lower KwH/hour rates than the region 'served' by TVA. Even at that, the 9.59¢ per KwH in Tennessee vs. the CA rate of 14.43¢ per KwH will be noticed. I checked my utility statements for the last calendar year, and discoved that we average 62$ per month for gas/electricity combined. My home is something in the 1400 s/f range, and is admittedily 'over-insulated'. (And, I tend to live much like my grandparents.)

I kinda LIKE those that leave their turn indicators 'on' for miles. It's one of the few times that and idiot actually verifies his/her presence BEFORE it's too late! "idiot!....idiot!...idiot!....idiot!"

Welcome to Tennessee!

I moved here from the Communist state of Jersey.

Got rid of my snow blower, Carry a gun, Chilled out and watch my Christmas trees grow

on my little farm.

Wish I was born here. You will love this state.

God bless Tennessee!

Guest nashvegas

I must say... although I live in the Nashville area, East Tn is by far the most beautiful part of TN, and arguably one the most beautiful parts of this nation. I drove through today. Spectacular! Even more so in the Fall.

• Administrator
Unfortunately AZ kinda blows too.

Interesting. My wife and I visited Arizona last year and spent some time in Sedona and neighboring areas and really liked what we saw. Of course visiting and living someplace are two totally different things.

Guest GunTroll

If I could only live where I thought the scenery was great! Downside is usually the lack of economy and or the wealthy jacking up land value for their fourth vacation home.

Welcome to the great state of Tennessee. If you get the urge to honk your horn...don't. It goes over like a turd in the punch bowl here.

If you can't understand our southern drawl; then don't be afraid to ask what we said, we really don't mind translating that for you...you'll learn it in time.

And yes, we do move at a MUCH slower pace than the rest of the country...you will too after a while, and you'll love it.

Also, remember to respect our women-folk...they can whip and out-shoot most of the men in the state!

Forget about the myth of alot of snow here...what you need to worry about here are the black panthers and poisonous snakes.:)

Beware of the dreaded copperheaded, cottonmouthed, rattlin' snake! They are the worst!

I'm from Ohio, been here 5 years now... and I think the biggest adjustment was Sunday. Most of the time the pace of things fits with my MidWest upbringing but Sundays are still amazing. In Ohio stores opened at mostly their normal times on a Sunday. Here things don't open until after noon... I don't mean AT noon, but after... Don't go shopping on Sunday before 1:00 it's an exercise in frustration. Better yet, go to church -> Brunch -> Home on sunday and no where else :-)

Driving:

People in TN drive far faster, and better, on the freeway than people elsewhere... and, as far as I can tell, far worse when they aren't on the freeway. Intersections are made to be blocked... turning signals don't matter... but no one is really in that big of a rush. In Ohio taking a trip more than 20 - 30 minutes from home was a really big deal... Here, going 2 hours a way is just a normal weekend trip to the gun shop. I suspect this attitude towards driving long distances comes from having such a long state?

Trees:

Trees here are gorgeous and everywhere... You can feel like you live in the country while being a couple minutes from a mall. The flip side is that you'll have allergies... Even if you've never had allergies in your entire life... you will here.. Buy the allergy meds behind the counter.. they are the only ones that work for me.

lifestyle:

My experience on the south (atleast TN) has been that everyone is super nice and helpful... but they also big on minding their own business. I've met some very conservative folks here that don't want to go fight against things like gay marriage... They mostly just want to be left alone to live their life their own way... Without interference from government and without telling anyone else how to live their life. That's really the reason I love TN... The do what you'd like attitude.

Beware of the dreaded copperheaded, cottonmouthed, rattlin' snake! They are the worst!

The most dangerous animal in Tennessee is the the yellow back politician. They are usually found near governemt buildings and will strike without thinking. The scent of money will lure them from their usual hiding spots.

TN has some of the worst drivers in the country. As dangerously aggressive as you've seen in CA, that's how dangerously passive they are here. Many won't take the right of way when they have it because it might seem rude.

Actually you'll get used to it but it will try your patience until you do.

Guest UberDuper
Interesting. My wife and I visited Arizona last year and spent some time in Sedona and neighboring areas and really liked what we saw. Of course visiting and living someplace are two totally different things.

Once you get that far north it's a different state.

Guest Fuernis

I live in Nashville now but grew up in Sierra Vista. Sundays are hard to get used to. Allergies are murder here, go get RX for something.

Don't make the common (mostly by Yankee's as they are called here) of thinking because someone talks like the guy in king of the hill they are stupid. I have meet some people who like to milk the southern accent.

Job market is solid but it is an at will state. One thing to keep in mind is TN is a mostly conservitive state, except in Nashville. Think Scottsdale.

Being from Germany ..I can tell you.. TN is not as bad as people say it is.. only time I do not like it here is in the winter.. I want snow.. not this 1 inch dusting we get.And then there is no milk or bread to be had in the stores because people freak out that its spitting snow..

But very beautiful in the spring and summer..

Oh.. and Cornbread IS NASTY.. its like eating chicken scratch.. dont eat it..

Guest BEARMAN

Oh.. and Cornbread IS NASTY.. its like eating chicken scratch.. dont eat it..

:)....Bless your heart, Tulip...surely as the sun rises, my dear; please tell me you don't mean it!;)

Cornbread and white beans with onion...to die for! A true Southern tradition.:yum:

If you are an ugly man, the Tennessee is the place for you! They have the most beautiful women in the world in Tennessee, walking hand in hand with some of the ugliest men you have ever seen. That's why I moved to Tennessee! I figured if all these ugly men could get beautiful women then maybe I could get me one. It worked! I met a lovely lady in Nashville and we were happily married. I think there must be something in the water that effects women's eye sight.

I know a guy from Wartburg who could go to the liquor store when he was 16 years old. It wasn't that he looked 21 it just that he was so ugly, nobody wanted to see his picture on his drivers license.....

Edited by Will Carry
  • 1 month later...
Guest UberDuper

We land in Nashville at 12:10AM on the 7th. Found a nice rental in Murfreesboro. Cars will arrive later that day and the rest of our stuff a week later.

The family is really excited.

Always remember, pajamas are perfectly acceptable attire for going shopping, especially at Walmart. Even more so if you are way overweight and have a few nasty tattoos!

I am from the MS delta but been in TN since I was 7. lived in Memphis for about 20 years and Franklin the last 8.

TN is the best state in the US. we get all the seasons. we have the most beautiful fall in east TN and middle TN, we have the best food in west TN. I wish we had more lakes but other than that, after going coast to coast on business travel for years I do not hesitate to call Middle TN home.

The nashville area (Nash, brentwood, franklin) was one of the tech hot spots for a while until the bubble burst. I am an IT guy myself.