Carpenter bee loads

Guest Longshot1

• Admin Team
You guys talked me into it! I think I've got all my stuff together. I'll begin load development as soon as possible. My barn will soon be on the ground if I don't do something soon. My boys have had limited success with plastic bats and airsoft pistols. I think this will be a lot more fun.

My wife's pretty lethal with a badminton racket. Chops 'em in half with a good swing.

I am assuming these loads are not too loud , I live in close quarters but am not scared to make noise ; (I blow up m60's during football games every time TN. scores playing football) my neighbors know me and my love for guns. They think I protect them all ; who since I don't reload would sell me some loads for bees in .38 Special or .44 Mag in Nashville ? Would it matter if the .44 is ported ? Maybe a little extra dust ?

Edited by Threeeighty

My 38's are not loud at all. I have heard cap guns that were louder. I'm not sure how loud a 44 would and I wouldnt think walnut, rice or grits would bother the posting. Like you suspect there would likely be so shot out of the ports.

Guest Longshot1

Try loading some small grain rice. Was getting decent results with grits but loaded some rounds with rice and shredded some carpenter bees at 6-8 ft.

cid__image.jpg

Here are two of quite a few casualties that fell to me and the boys this afternoon. We shot several carpenter bees, bumble bees, and wasps. We think the cicadas will be fine sport soon. I'm having good luck with 2.5 grains of Bullseye, then a 3/8" wad cut from gasket paper, then filled to the rim with walnut media, and capped with another gasket paper wad. The only trouble I've found is getting the first wad to go down into the case straight. I seat the second wad with my bullet seating die, and crimp it in place. These aren't any louder than a pop gun, and are deadly to insects at 6-8'. THanks for the suggestion. This is a lot of fun.

Thought I'd make up some of these but didn't have any crushed walnut hulls. Decided the rice was too large as mentioned here. So I pulled out the wife's blender and threw some rice in. Ran it for just a few seconds and wallah, crushed walnut size pieces of rice! Maybe a few larger pieces, and a good bit of dust, but for the price it will be hard to beat. I used a flour sifter to separate the dust out. Haven't checked it for patterning, but it fits the pocketbook.

I used to fire form cases using corn meal and this technique, I'll think I'll try it for these: prime the case, drop your powder, with a pencil push down a small light wad of pillow ticking (not foam rubber) -doesn't' take much- (or the cotton from a pill bottle), dump in your chopped up rice, then finish it off by pressing the end of your case into a block of wax (or an old candle) to hold everything in. I usually pressed the case in about 1/8" to 1/4 inch in and give it a twist. No crimp.

Gonna try to fix up some tonight.

Thought I'd make up some of these but didn't have any crushed walnut hulls. Decided the rice was too large as mentioned here. So I pulled out the wife's blender and threw some rice in. Ran it for just a few seconds and wallah, crushed walnut size pieces of rice! Maybe a few larger pieces, and a good bit of dust, but for the price it will be hard to beat. I used a flour sifter to separate the dust out. Haven't checked it for patterning, but it fits the pocketbook.

I used to fire form cases using corn meal and this technique, I'll think I'll try it for these: prime the case, drop your powder, with a pencil push down a small light wad of pillow ticking (not foam rubber) -doesn't' take much- (or the cotton from a pill bottle), dump in your chopped up rice, then finish it off by pressing the end of your case into a block of wax (or an old candle) to hold everything in. I usually pressed the case in about 1/8" to 1/4 inch in and give it a twist. No crimp.

Gonna try to fix up some tonight.

Sounds like it should work well. I may look to see if my wife has any pillow stuffing left. Dacron I believe it is. That would be easier to place over the powder than the oversized piece of gasket paper.

Just tested a few out. Used an old Lee powder measure for the powder. Supposed to throw 3 gr. of Bullseye, so I left it a bit shy. They all went together pretty well, easier than trying to make a wad sit on top. Patterned ok at about 12 ft. Had two where the primer backed out slightly causing the cyl to jam. I remember having this problem years ago when trying to make some blanks. Not sure the issue, maybe the wax builds just enough pressure to set the primer back. Only a couple did it.

I used cotton balls, doesn't take hardly any to hold the powder back.

The wax wad makes a good hole in paper.

Guest Retch
I didnt even think to take measurements for Boone and Crocket. :)

Boone and Cricket...

Great thread fellas. The carpenter bees are as bad as I have ever seen this year. Thinking I'll work up a load with a 357 case and a bit of unique. Putting some rice in the coffee blender for a second or two sounds like the way to go.

Or make a load using multiple items, perhaps media on the bottom then rice on the top. Get the best of both worlds. Seems to be the trend in defensive shotgun ammo so it should work as well to defend against insects. In a long case lie a 357 you could even do a load with an airsoft BB as well to get everything from short range to long range providing the load was reasonably accurate.

Dolomite

Or make a load using multiple items, perhaps media on the bottom then rice on the top. Get the best of both worlds. Seems to be the trend in defensive shotgun ammo so it should work as well to defend against insects. In a long case lie a 357 you could even do a load with an airsoft BB as well to get everything from short range to long range providing the load was reasonably accurate.

Dolomite

I ended up with some bigger chunks of rice mixed in with the smaller ones, so it's sort of does this on it's own. Nothing as big as a airsoft BB though, my rice didn't stick together;)

Edited by seez52
Guest rebeldrummer

I need someone to be a courier for me! Someone coming from around Cleveland to Knox or Maryville.

Buck has some rounds for me and I'm dying to make some bees drop!

I need someone to be a courier for me! Someone coming from around Cleveland to Knox or Maryville.

Buck has some rounds for me and I'm dying to make some bees drop!

If its ok with you I will post on the General board asking about a courier.