MORELS ARE HERE!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Great find! I had a friend find a bunch a few weeks back.

Wild mushrooms always scare me to death. Even when I know they're safe. I always think - if you eat those, you'll need a liver transplant and likely be dead by morning.

I'm at a loss here....

Watch the Food Network sometime. They are a delicacy of some kind.

Wild mushrooms always scare me to death. Even when I know they're safe. I always think - if you eat those, you'll need a liver transplant and likely be dead by morning.

Or something far more entertaining.

Guest str8shooter

tell me, when I go to look for them where should I look? A friend told me they like to grow under mayflowers? Any suggestions

Look for wooded areas .. under trees. alongside dead trees that are rotted. They grow anywhere where there is soil they like.. We have been pondering different scenarios on where they grow.. but they grow everywhere. We look under shaded areas in the woods. Rocky areas usualy yield the grey ones ..

There are so many people saying where they grow.. one thing is for sure.. they do grow everywhere in the woods.. You just have to look.. we never found them by mayapples or under needle trees..( cedar etc..) soil is to acid..

We did luck into a patch that was under a certain tree.. we dont know what kid of tree but there was a patch that yielded around 30 mushrooms..and all very large shrooms..

There is a poisonous variety of these.. they have solid stems inside..DO NOT EAT THOSE...

But we have been shroom hunting for years and NEVER seen one with a solid stem ..

HOLLOW stemmed ones only ..

We never gotten sick ..and we have been picking them for years.

These things are ugly as sin but they taste better than any of the ones you find in the store. A dried ounce sells for 40 bucks..But we do not sell them anyway..

Guest mosinon

I love the taste of morels but hate the price. I'm not enough of an expert to actually try to harvest them. Good find though, I know a lot of people enjoy that hobby and, you're right, way better than anything you'll find in a grocery store.

Guest Drewsett
I love the taste of morels but hate the price. I'm not enough of an expert to actually try to harvest them. Good find though, I know a lot of people enjoy that hobby and, you're right, way better than anything you'll find in a grocery store.

+1

I don't know if they have don't any good this year but my parents get them, but they have not told me anything this year. They only started a few years ago. I have never tried them and I don't plan on it, more for you guys.

Rauol: Nice find :)

Looks like alot of greys.. the greys here dont get that big, least I have never found any that where this size

We are going one more time this weekend , should be pretty fruitful.

Vontar... we thought this year was a bad one ourselfs.. late frost.. bad winter... but they are out there.. they might just didnt go this year..

Guest monkeyhumper

I ate a batch of these in 'Nam in '62, but there were some special shroomies in the mix. The blistering smell of Agent Orange really set off the colors in the sky. I could taste sounds and felt the earth breathing in low grumbling whisper. As I laid in the rain, caressing her delicate grasses, she showed me the secret of God.

The power of mushrooms are legion, I wasn't even born until '74.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

These shrooms are great! mix up a little corn meal batter, a few spices and deep fry these thing...yummy yummy. I have also heard them referred to as dry-land fish. I guess because of the taste. How do you guys fry 'em up?

I ate a batch of these in 'Nam in '62, but there were some special shroomies in the mix. The blistering smell of Agent Orange really set off the colors in the sky. I could taste sounds and felt the earth breathing in low grumbling whisper. As I laid in the rain, caressing her delicate grasses, she showed me the secret of God.

The power of mushrooms are legion, I wasn't even born until '74.

wild-magic-mushrooms.jpg

Dry land fish up here on the plateau - we'uns do eat good every now and then. :)

Morels are safe and delicious - battered and fried is best, but can be used as any other mushroom. The only 'shroom remotely similar is the so-called false morel, doesn't even resemble the real thing, IMO.