I wonder if this would work? Glow in the dark paint+fiber optic

Question I had was rather than use glow in the dark paint on the sight I wonder if you put glow in the dark paint around or under a fiber optic sight if that would generate enough light for a brighter sight at night than fiber optic or glow in the dark alone. Not cover the fiber optic totally but maybe paint it the scrape off the top portion of the fiber optic to allow light in if the glow in the dark paint doesn't allow it in.

My thinking is the fibre optic is exposed to more light from the glow in the dark paint and would seem brighter if there wasn't enough ambient light to light up the fiber optic. That is once the glow in the dark paint is charged.

Is there anyone in the Knoxville area with fiber optic sights who would want to try this? I have glow in the dark paint, I also have glow in the dark powder as well as titanium dioxide. I can supply materials if you supply the sight. We can also shoot at my home as I have steel targets set up at 25 yards.

I have seen people using glow in the dark paint for thier sights. I have used it for a long time as well but I do things a little different. I mix titanium dioxide (the whitest compound on earth) with two part epoxy and put that in the sight. It makes for an extremely bright white as well as very durable dot even if you don't sprinkle it with glow in the dark powder. I then sprinkle glow in the dark dust over that before it dries. I wind up with a whiter dot than glow in the dark paint alone but with the glow in the dark properties.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Gman,

I added a HiViz front sight to my SP101 and it's great with decent indoor / outdoor lighting conditions, but in low light (and obviously no light) it's near useless.

Since the SP is in my carry rotation, I would be willing to test out your idea.

With my current work schedule, I am only available on Sundays.

If this is a good day for you, let me know and lets get together in the coming weeks!

I'll bring my AC Commander and CZ75B Omega and we can makea day of it.

AJ

As a side note, aTi02 is used as a whitener and can be found in dozens of consumable products from candy to toothpaste. It also has unique properties when baked at about 2200 degrees. It becomes a photocatalyst and takes on similar properties as chlorophyll.

Edited by Gotthegoods
Gman,

I added a HiViz front sight to my SP101 and it's great with decent indoor / outdoor lighting conditions, but in low light (and obviously no light) it's near useless.

Since the SP is in my carry rotation, I would be willing to test out your idea.

With my current work schedule, I am only available on Sundays.

If this is a good day for you, let me know and lets get together in the coming weeks!

I'll bring my AC Commander and CZ75B Omega and we can makea day of it.

AJ

As a side note, aTi02 is used as a whitener and can be found in dozens of consumable products from candy to toothpaste. It also has unique properties when baked at about 2200 degrees. It becomes a photocatalyst and takes on similar properties as chlorophyll.

Sounds like a plan.

I am available any time but make sure to call before showing up to make sure I am home. If you have any other guns you want to have the dots freshened up on bring them as well, either glow in the dark or just titanium diaoxide or both. The paint should be here tomorrow but I can dust the epoxy/titanium dioxide with glow in the dark powder if it isn't here or I could just mix the glow in the dark directly into the epoxy with no titanium.

If not tomorrow then definitely by next Sunday but I will be gone that weekend so we are probably looking at the 8th of May.

Dolomite

If I understand what you are going to try, I don't think it will work. Fiber optics only project light from end to end. If you paint the sides of the sight, that light generated will not be projected out the end of the optics for you to see. Perhaps I am miss understanding the methods, but I would be curious to "see" if it works.

Guest 6.8 AR

I wonder if the amount of light would help the sight at all. It might actually take away from the

brightness, at least from perception in your eyes and make the sight less functional. I'm curious to

hear more when someone tries this.

I bought a used G21 with tritium night sights that I thought the seller said were almost gone, and the

other night I pulled it out from under the bed with the lights off and they glowed bright. It just makes

me think I wouldn't see the sights as well with something else distracting.

If I understand what you are going to try, I don't think it will work. Fiber optics only project light from end to end. If you paint the sides of the sight, that light generated will not be projected out the end of the optics for you to see. Perhaps I am miss understanding the methods, but I would be curious to "see" if it works.

You are thinking of fiber optic used in telecommunications and such. They are hollow with a coating on the outside to keep the light in as well as light out. And this type of fiber optic does not collect ambient light.

The type used on firearms draws light along the length of the fiber then projects the collected light out the ends. Otherwise the light generated would be no more than ambient.

I think if I try coating just the bottom of the fiber and leave the top facing portion alone it might work without affecting daytime performance. The paint is pretty thin so it may not even affect day time performance anyways.

Dolomite

You are thinking of fiber optic used in telecommunications and such. They are hollow with a coating on the outside to keep the light in as well as light out. And this type of fiber optic does not collect ambient light.

Your premise is correct, but telecom fiber isn't hollow. It does have multiple layers of cladding to prevent outside light, or bleeding from other stands.

I am personally interested to see how this experiment works. Since you posted this, I have experimented a little with my FO shotgun sight. It appears that it is most effective when light enters from the top of the FO rod, and tends to wash out when pointed directly at a light source. The only potential issue I see is that the FO may filter the light that gets to the glow paint to the point that it its effective.

• 3 years later...
Guest StorminMormon
Hate to resurrect a long dead post, but I "came up" with this same question and while googling was astounded to see it playing out, albeit more than four years ago, on TGO.

Anyways, did you ever test this idea? If so, how did it work?

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • 5 years later...