Bench Idea.

Guest Fwdftw

Guest Fwdftw

Got this for free from a neighboor moving out... Plans include to brace it and L bracket it to the wall.. i wanna put a clear mat or something underneath the bench for my fiances sake.. and well the carpet too smile.gif ideas??? wavey%5B1%5D.gif

DSC00254.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not big enough. Reolading bench is kind of like a garage. No matter how much room you think is enough, is soon wont be. It looks like to have plenty of room to expand. Try to find someone who is remodeling a kitchen. Thats what I did and got a bunch of base and wall cabinets to build mine out of. Had them filled before I reloaded my first cartridge.

I think your main weakness is in the overhang. I think you might have some serious potential for flexing. You could mount the press, then brace underneath with a 2x4 and paint it to make it look better. Just a thought. I would mount the press and try it before you fasten it to the wall though, just in case it doesn't work out

When you mount the press to the bench use longer bolts that will protrude through the bench enough to mount to a pedastal that you extend all the way down to the floor. Make the pedestal out of 4x4 with a small base maybe 6"x6" square to set on the floor and a pad on top that your mounting bolts can attach to. That way all the force of actuating the press is transfered directly to the floor and bench really only is providing lateral support of which not much is required.

When you mount the press to the bench use longer bolts that will protrude through the bench enough to mount to a pedastal that you extend all the way down to the floor. Make the pedestal out of 4x4 with a small base maybe 6"x6" square to set on the floor and a pad on top that your mounting bolts can attach to. That way all the force of actuating the press is transfered directly to the floor and bench really only is providing lateral support of which not much is required.

>1 this. Gonna need more support to prevent tipping forward, even with angle brackets

to the wall. Good start, but like another poster stated, you're gonna want to expand.

Regardless, enjoy. I built my latest bench from scratch, with 2x4s for legs & table top

support & 1 1/2 " table top, angle bracketed to the wall studs. This works fine for me,

so far, but your setup may be different. My top is 2'x4' BTW. Added shelves above

and below top. Still could use more space. Just no more available here.

No such thing as too much space. LOL

Guest mbushell

I have almost the same thing for my reloading station...set up in the livingroom so I can watch tv and load at the same time. It works great. I bought a steel plate and some 2x4s at home dipo. Run bolts through the press, then the bench top, use steel plate like giant washer under the bench top. Run the 2x4 at front , middle, and back under the benchtop with the "4 inch face" (actually 31/2") facing out. Screw through the benchtop, and at the ends into the sides of the benchlegs. FIND STUDS in the wall and use 3" coarse thread drywall screws to attach through the rear most 2x4 into your studs. The same screws willbe fine for the rest of the project too a one pound boxis fine.You may want to stain the front 2x4 to look better. IT WILL BE PLENTY STRONG! I'm a carpenter for a living. You cannot flex a four foot length of 2x4 stood on edge like that...no fing way. If you really want insurance use some PL400 polyurethane glue on all points wood meets wood (home depot $4).The project as stated will cost $25 or so. The other guy was right about space though. Two caibers or not you will at least need a fire proof safe to keep the gun powder in. I would never advise storing powder near anything else flamable (even primers or live ammo) and certainly not in the house. I keep mine in an outside storage building, and bring in what I need when I need it. You will always be able to add other cabinets for storage.

. . . you will at least need a fire proof safe to keep the gun powder in. I would never advise storing powder near anything else flamable (even primers or live ammo) and certainly not in the house. I keep mine in an outside storage building, and bring in what I need when I need it. You will always be able to add other cabinets for storage.

Bad idea - you really don't want to store powder in a safe. None are fireproof, only fire resistant, and a can or two of powder detonating in a sealed safe could be dangerous. If you have to store it in a box, store it in a weak box, or one that will vent gases to the outside. I do the opposite on storage location also - I keep the powder indoors in the A/C, and take it out to my shed when I'm reloading. It's not like storing gasoline or black powder in your house - it doesn't burn any faster than paper. Probably no more dangerous than keeping a kerosene lamp in the house for power failures.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider

Edited by enfield
Guest mbushell

I thought I was doing the safe thing... I didnt know gunpowder wasnt explosive. I guess the big bang it makes had me fooled. Never the less, I'll leave it where it is I surley sleep better.