Herman Cain 2012

Guest Lester Weevils

A 50 year old handsome sexy feller saying what Ron Paul says might be electable. I like Ron, but he's not electable and he's too old. I'm old, so it isn't age discrimination. President is not a young man's job, but it is too much for an old man.

It isn't necessarily damning that Cain has been inside the Fed. Maybe he knows where to look for the skeletons in the closet.

Palin would be completely out-maneuvered dealing with the Fed. Bachmann has accounting credentials, but can you really see her getting elected?

Romney just isn't likable enough to be elected IMO.

What the heck is Rick Santorum doing up there? If we need an annoying moralistic jerk wrong-headed yankee, why not go all the way and get Peter King or Rudy Giuliani? How many people would vote for that idiot? On the other hand, Biden is vice-president, so I suppose anything is possible.

I just don't see anybody running that I like much. Which isn't new. The typical thing for every election. Cain seems about as good as it gets.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lathe guy
Yes please. Bright. Smart. Clear talker (without a script like another man I know). Truly conservative. What's not to like? And no hairpiece!

Gets my Arizona vote

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Businessman Cain enters 2012 GOP presidential race

By SHANNON McCAFFREY and GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press 4 mins ago

ATLANTA – Herman Cain has run a pizza chain, hosted a talk radio show and sparred with Bill Clinton over health care. He's never held elected office. Now the tea party favorite wants to be president.

"In case you accidentally listen to a skeptic or doubting Thomas out there, just to be clear ... I'm running for president of the United States, and I'm not running for second," he told a crowd at Centennial Olympic Park on Saturday. Chants of "Herman" erupted from the crowd of thousands in downtown Atlanta.

The announcement by the businessman, author and radio talk show host that he was joining the expanding Republican field came after months of traveling around the country to introduce himself to voters.

Now the 65-year-old will see if he can use that grass-roots enthusiasm to turn a long-shot campaign into a credible bid.

Cain supports a strong national defense, opposes abortion, backs replacing the federal income tax with a national sales tax and favors a return to the gold standard. He said President Barack Obama "threw Israel under the bus" because he sought to base Mideast border talks partly on the pre-1967 war lines, and criticized the Justice Department for challenging Arizona's tough crackdown on illegal immigration.

"We shouldn't be suing Arizona," he said to cheers. "We ought to send them a prize."

Cain lost a three-way Republican U.S. Senate primary bid in Georgia in 2004 with one-quarter of the vote. His "Hermanator" political action committee has taken in just over $16,000 this year. He said he's running "a bottoms-up, outside-the-box campaign." Supporters say he taps into the tea party-fueled desire for plain-speaking citizen candidates.

Born in Memphis, Tenn., and raised in Atlanta, Cain is the son of a chauffeur and a maid. He attended historically black Morehouse College, earned a master's degree from Purdue University and worked as a mathematician for the Navy before beginning to scale the corporate ladder.

He worked at Coca-Cola, Pillsbury and Burger King before taking the helm of the failing Godfather's Pizza franchise, which he rescued by shuttering hundreds of restaurants.

He burst onto the political stage when he argued with President Clinton over the Democrat's health care plan at a 1994 town hall meeting.

"On behalf of all of those business owners that are in a situation similar to mine," asked Cain, "my question is, quite simply, if I'm forced to do this, what will I tell those people whose jobs I will have to eliminate?"

The late Jack Kemp, the GOP vice presidential nominee in 1996, once described Cain as having "the voice of Othello, the looks of a football player, the English of Oxfordian quality and the courage of a lion."

In 2006, Cain was diagnosed with liver and colon cancer. He says he's been cancer-free since 2007 and credits the nation's health care system with keeping him alive. He says it's one reason he's so opposed to the health overhaul championed by Obama.

At the speech, Cain tried to build a foundation for his run for the White House. He said the American dream is under attack from runaway debt, a stagnant economy, a muddled foreign policy and an influx of illegal immigrants. He said Americans should be infuriated because the Obama administration's $787 billion stimulus program "didn't stimulate diddly."

"It's time to get real, folks. Hope and change ain't working," he said. "Hope and change is not a solution. Hope and change is not a job."

___

Online:

Herman Cain: http://www.hermancain.com

Businessman Cain enters 2012 GOP presidential race - Yahoo! News

I hate to say it, but while Cain makes some good points, he makes GWB look like a great orator. Plus from the links above, it sounds like he's more of the same...

True. The problem with Mr. Cain is that he is trying to become a politician.:lol:

I hate to say it, but while Cain makes some good points, he makes GWB look like a great orator. Plus from the links above, it sounds like he's more of the same...

True. The problem with Mr. Cain is that he is trying to become a politician.:lol:

What do his oratory skills have to do with his qualifications to be an effective president and leader? He speaks well enough. Look what we have now - great speaker with no skills or leadership abilities.

What do his oratory skills have to do with his qualifications to be an effective president and leader? He speaks well enough. Look what we have now - great speaker with no skills or leadership abilities.

My main point is that he will be a politician. At that point he will lose any value that he had, but he will be or guy right? I would like to think that the leader of the free world would be well spoken. Your views may differ. To each his own.

QUOTE]My main point is that he will be a politician. At that point he will lose any value that he had, but he will be or guy right? I would like to think that the leader of the free world would be well spoken. Your views may differ. To each his own.

By defiinition I guess he should be called a politician if he is elected although that's not his background. But to say that he will lose any value he had? Does that mean all politicians have no value? If so, do you ever vote? He's not a bad public speaker, perhaps not the best, but not bad. As you say, just my view.

Guest 6.8 AR

And by your own definition, anyone elected is corrupted the minute he decides to run for office,

which, by your own definition means no one could be suitable. Interesting.

Cain has made many speeches that show his oratory skills. His abilities are far superior to most running.

I think the question would be rather of corruptability and which direction the corruption takes if one wishes

to write off every politician as corrupt, coming out of the gate, if one is to be that cynical.

Not all politicians are corrupt. We just don't take enough time to listen to what they are saying, and what

they have done in the past.

My main point is that he will be a politician. At that point he will lose any value that he had, but he will be or guy right? I would like to think that the leader of the free world would be well spoken. Your views may differ. To each his own.

Here is the question that each of us must ask ourselves:

"What qualities MUST I see in a candidate for office in order to earn my vote?"

For some people party affiliation is enough. For others, a candidate must meet some very specific requirements. Obviously, the second group is very likely to be disappointed. The political process is one where your choices become more constrained by time. This Spring, we have had the chance to choose between a dozen or so Republicans. Many of those have already been weeded out. We may see some more appear on the scene, but the choice is likely between four or so between now and November. By next March, we will likely be down to two. So, if you have a favorite, support them NOW, or the chance to do so may be lost.

Remember, if you cannot find a worthy candidate now, it is very unlikely one will magically appear in the next several months. You can afford to be picky now, but as time goes on your choices will be fewer. Do you want another McCain? And by next summer it will be the Republican candidate or Obama. And while Obama looks likely to lose now, do not underestimate his campaigning skills, fundraising ability, or the legions of dedicated supporters he has.

Guest Lester Weevils

For good or bad, oratory skills have always been important to getting elected. Maybe somewhere in the USA is the absolute ideal president-- Maybe he is a mousy little guy with 6 university degrees, ugly as a toad, with coke bottle glasses and a bad stammer. He ain't ever gonna get elected.

I don't understand the talk about Obama's fabulous oratory skills. For one thing, if you are orating cr@p ideas, then it doesn't matter how elegantly it is delivered. For another, the man has odd phrase timing and a drive-you-up-the-wall monotonous style. Obama ends too many sentences with an upward pitch movement which makes it sound like each sentence is a question. I have to change channel when the dude comes on because he is so annoying to listen to. Of course I changed channels on George W. Bush for the exact same reason.

I suspect that presidents who have annoying enough vocal mannerisms risk getting booted out of office merely because people are tired of hearing his voice on radio and TV. Silly reason, but perhaps a reason none the less.

Herman Cain can pull off a good Baptist Preacher oratory style. That is the style that Al Gore tried to emulate but would fail miserably because he didn't have enough soul to pull it off.

I suspect Cain would be better at getting people emotionally involved than Obama. Elections in the ideal would be cold calculating evaluations, but emotion and enthusiasm wins elections in the real world. Even Obama can stir more enthusiasm than for instance a yuppie droid like Romney.

I also suspect Cain is quicker on his feet than Obama for non-teleprompter debate. Obama does too much stammering when he has to speak without the teleprompter, and is prone to gaffes and mis-statements.

Yes I vote, but I only vote issues. I don't let the parties sucker me in with hot botton issues. I am very cynical when it comes to politicians and I make no apologies for that. I want actions from our so called leaders not pep rallies.

Our elections are becoming nothing but high school popularity contest. The people are not demanding that our representatives address the issues. We let them trick us into getting caught up in trival matters while the country continues to implode.

Obamas days are limited so we need to ensure that we elect a leader that will lead this country. We don't need someone in office simply because we like him or because he makes a good speech. Don't we already have that. I like old man Paul. I don't agree with everything he stands for but he has good ideas for this country. I also know that I have a better chance of getting elected to office than Mr. Paul.

I will continue to follow Mr. Cain and hopefully he will be what this country needs. I don't have to like him. I just want to see if he will be a leader and not de lo mismo.

Guest HvyMtl

What are the odds, for Cain? He is not "mainstream" GOP. He is not well known. He is not getting much media coverage.

Political "wisdom" indicates, you run for office the term before you intend to be elected. Could this been a dry run for 2016?

Guest 6.8 AR

I think almost everyone around here votes issues. The problem with that is that by the end of the primary process the issues almost always become watered down to the point that one or two remain, to appease the masses. I doubt even with the one I want to win would campaign on all the issues, in order to win the general election. But, that's just the way the process allows, except in that rare candidate, like Ronald Reagan. His campaign for 1980 and 1984 was superb. I think it had to do with the character he displayed. I have yet to see it since.

Issues are the only reason to vote for any of them.

Guest Oaklands

True. The problem with Mr. Cain is that he is trying to become a politician.:D

You will become a politician if you run for office. However, he is not a "Professional" politician like many who have made a career of living off the government by holding various offices. He is not accustomed to "Playing the game" to get support from other politicians and having to return favors.

Love how Cain handles this. He's got fire in his belly and calls it like he sees it.

Overall, I think I prefer Ron Paul, but I think Cain is more 'electable'.

Watching both with great interest...