Spanish Mauser FR-8

I was looking around for some options for when C&R arrives and saw one of my old favorite rifles, the Spanish Mauser FR-8. I had one years ago and had to sell it when I got divorced. I paid $79 for it at the time and of the handful I found, they were listed for $250 and up. Man, I sure wish I had that old rifle again! Does anyone have one of these lying around?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... I paid $79 for it at the time and of the handful I found, they were listed for $250 and up. Man, I sure wish I had that old rifle again! Does anyone have one of these lying around?

I have one and agree that the price has really, really gone up since I picked one up several years ago (and sorry but its not for sale).

I think the lesson here is the ole' "Buy'em Cheap - Stack'em Deep" deal. One of these days all of those $70 Mosins will be gone.

Remember all of those old $49 Turk Mausers that use to be at the gun shows. :lol:

I have one and agree that the price has really, really gone up since I picked one up several years ago (and sorry but its not for sale).

I think the lesson here is the ole' "Buy'em Cheap - Stack'em Deep" deal. One of these days all of those $70 Mosins will be gone.

Remember all of those old $49 Turk Mausers that use to be at the gun shows. :)

Yeah, I'm reading where some versions of the M44 are on their final run into the country. I was kind of shocked at how many of the old surplus handguns have jumped up in price as well. Wish I'd gotten in on the C&R thing sooner.

Yeah, I'm reading where some versions of the M44 are on their final run into the country. I was kind of shocked at how many of the old surplus handguns have jumped up in price as well. Wish I'd gotten in on the C&R thing sooner.

Ain't that the truth!

I'm waiting for mine and it seems like each day just makes it harder.

Guest 6.8 AR

I like my old 98 Mauser. First I've heard of this one. Tells you how much I know:D

Bought mine for $25 in the 60's and is a heck of a shooter.

Guest Laufer

Very nice. My next gun will probably be an FR8.

As scarce as original Enfield #5 "Jungle Carbines" are, the FR8 appears to be much harder to find, and not many guys know what they are, or confuse them with the FR7.

My Yugo Mauser 48A is for sale (FTF: Memphis area), ready for the remote chance of bumping into a local one.

Edited by Laufer

Ok, ok! Here is one of the pics that Caster sent me before we did our deal. It looks like any other FR8 on the outside. It's on the inside where the "special mods" have been made. That's all I can say at this time. I've signed a non disclosure with Caster.

7.jpg

And one of the FR8's unique front end.

6.jpg

Edited by Westwindmike
Added second pic
Guest Laufer

WwMike:

The FR8 seems to be a nice solution to wanting an HK rifle.

They have some of the wicked looks of the CETME (HK-91) and C-93, without the mechanical problems of so many older semi-autos, which were assembled by Century Arms.

And I doubt that FR8s mangle the brass like most .308 semi-autos seem known to do (without port buffers).

Just got my 1909 cleaned up & shot it this past weekend, amazing guns. I hope you can find a replacement for yours. I am researching my options for a no-damage scope mount to take it to the next stage; I can barely hit an 8 inch target at 100 yards with iron and have no idea how those guys were shooting 800-1000 meters with iron sights in the heat of battle, under ideal conditions I doubt I could hit a guy at 300! I think they had more muscles too; after a box of 20 my shoulder was starting to get sore. A solid steel recoil pad ftl ...

I think they had more muscles too; after a box of 20 my shoulder was starting to get sore. A solid steel recoil pad ftl ...

Yup, that was one thing I remember about mine. It beat me up. I got a rubber pad and put on it, which helped a lot. I hope I get a replacement someday myself.

• 1 month later...
Guest Laufer

Allen's Guns in Clarkesville had a good one a week ago.

I bought it, but have no idea how to post photos. Can't wait for the CETME sight tool to arrive!

With the 100-yard open sight (no bayonet), it shoots about 10" high and about 3 " right. It seems to do better with the bayonet.

After several hours reading about the common confusion over whether commercial .308 is safe, both the seller, my gun smith and some Mauser gurus confirmed that .308 Saami converted to 7.62 NATO "C.U.P." equates to very similar pressure.

The Win. and Am. Eagile brass from this gun (with very limited wear) looks/feels perfectly new, and this indicates that headspace is very good.

After my first exposure to Any gauge-ordered the .308 field gauge from Numerich-this also confirmed what others claimed about the safe operation.

One part of the confusion is that people combine discussions of the much older FR7 actions with those regarding the FR8.

Westwindmike: Among other components, your wood looks excellent.

Suprised I hadn't noticed this thread...My BIL and I each have FR-8's purchased in the late 1990's, both have been fired with commercial and surplus ammunition and grouped well enough with the H&K Sight's and mixed ammunition to please us. One thing I will say about the FR-8 is its stock design and lower weight get your attention when you shoot it. Still, it's nothing recoil wise when compaired to a No. 5 Enfield, that darn thing kick's like nobodies business. I've used slip on recoil pads on the No. 5 Enfield and FR-8 but didn't care for the way they made the rifle(s) feel.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest agt.dealer

ive got a rare m24/47 matching numbers WITH BLUED BOLT!!!!!!and 700rds of ammo!!!trying to list it here but it wont let me,sucks being the new guy!lol!!!funewgy!!!!

Guest agt.dealer
Not because you are the new guy, you just haven't paid to be a Benefactor. Only they can list guns for sale.
i was gonna sign up tonight anyways,thanks.listing coming soon....