What you like vs what you know...?

LA_357SIG

To make a long story short:

I was in the U.S. Army for a while. I trained on the A2. All this was during the AWB and I had limited exposure to the AR-15. When I got out around '05 I bought my first AR. It was a Carbine (16" M4 style) I made it into a 20" w/ A2 stock and then sold it for another M4 style. I spent a lot of money on accessories, furniture, Carbine, Middy etc. and after all that... I'm happy with this.

1304019291.jpg

Now with that out of the way, my question is:

For you .mil guys do you like what you like better? Firearms like you were issued (or trained with) or unfamiliar firearms [FOR PERSONAL USE]?

Which the rifle and carbine versions of the M-16/AR-15 aren't all that different. I know some older gentlemen that swear by the M-14/M1A and just don't care for the AR15.

Edited by LA_357SIG
Clarify question in bold.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i was in with the A1, A2, M21 and got out as the M4 and the M24 where coming in. i really wanted to move from just pistol matches to 3 gun and rifle matches. did not and still do not want any AR that looks military. and even poeple who say they have a M4 gets me, to me a M4 is a select fire SBR. even thought about a AK but could not bring myself to it. and now even we (USA) use chest rigs. oh well just getting old i guess.

just me though sorry for complaining

I carried an M4 in Iraq, it is the one weapon I have actual experience with. I would probably take it over anything else if things went bad, just because of that.

I carried a M4 with ACOG and surefire with a vertical grip in Iraq. That is the same setup I run on my personal AR. I find it hard to like anything else in long rifles and hard to trust any other optic. ACOGs are rock solid.

My first issue weapon was the M16A1. Even then, I was unconvinced that the little 5.56mm was an adequate infantry cartridge. And the durability of the M16A1 was less than stellar. In the early '80's I carried an AK for a short while and was unhappy with it's poor ergonomics, short range, and ho-hum accuracy. I then was offered an FN FAL and fell in love with it. I sometimes had opportunity to make shots up to 500m, and if I did my part, the FN delivered. And the 7.62 easily turned light cover into mere concealment. That rifle took a lot of punishment in the 6 months I used it. When I got home, the first thing I bought was an FN FAL of my own.

I was also taught on the Browning 1911A1 .45, and have never had an issue with it as a duty handgun. I was introduced to the Browning P35 and CZ75, but never felt that they were better than the old .45, just different.

As a PFC machine gunner, I had an M-60. I thought it was a pretty good weapon until I was introduced to the FN MAG and MG-3. Both are superior to the M-60 in many ways, but I REALLY liked the MG-3!!! I like and appreciate the strength and reliability of the FN MAG (M-240 in US Army), but the MG-3 somehow just seemed to 'click' with me. Perhaps it's because I had a German Army instructor who took the time to make sure I really learned how to shoot a machinegun properly and engage echelon, file, rank, and area targets out to 1000m.

The dislike for the M16 by some of us older guys may be due to the way it was introduced to troops in the 60's. Little to no training unless you were Infantry, lack of chromed interior prts like the barrel, no way to seat the bolt into the receiver, and being told it didn't need much cleaning (when it needed just as much if not more care in the jungle) was what they said. The early problems ruined it for a of of guys.