Yankee Clarification

My kids were born in Michigan (not my fault...we were visiting) ( he's 45) Kansas (she's 42) Texas (he's 35). When I turned 17 I moved west of the Mississippi and swore I'd never live "east" again. You might think of yourselves as southerners...to me you're Easterners...but you're WAAAAy better than Califoricators.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

Yankee is a "State of Mind". If your a city dwelling gimbus who doesn't know how to plant a garden and has no interest in such things, if you don't own a chainsaw and hate the woods then there is a good chance your a Yank. There are untold southern bred "necks" who are Yank to the core, likewise there are plenty of northern born and bred yankees whou would be right at home in the woods, brewin some shine and have the DIY spirit.

Lol, that's kind of funny to me, people tend to forget there are backwoods in the north, big time. Anyone who doesn't believe me I'll take you up to my old stomping grounds and show you what COUNTRY is! I haven't found anything close around here (western NY, I have a picture somewhere taken off a seasonal limited use highway on top of a hill where you can see a good 20 miles, and there isn't a house or road in the picture. We used to see how long we could drive around without ever touching pavement, our record I think is 3 hours, and we gave up and got on a paved road because we needed gas. In wyoming county NY, both deer and cows actually outnumber people).

That being said, I'm originally from Ny, been here for 7 years, and I ain't goin back, so yall just have to deal with me! I won't tell you how great it is up there though, as I hated all 20 years I lived there!

I lived in both Wyoming and Montana for long enough that people there said I was a native. You have to have lived through one winter before the locals will even talk to you. My wife and I were shocked when the neighborhood welcomed us the first day of no snow...that's "no snow, not spring...there is no spring...just 3 months of bad skiing" When the state averages 120 FEET of snow a year, no snow is a welcome season.

I'm a retired archaeologist. In Montana you can only dig during the "summer". In 1993 it snowed, sleeted, or otherwise sucked for 89 of the 90 day excavation season. Bozeman MT had snow on the 7th of August...by snow I mean 6 or more inches, anything less is flurries. That snow lasted on the ground for 5 days. That year it snowed so bad on the 4th of July weekend we had to get a motel room the entire holiday and I never did get back to Bozeman until the 1st of August. Montana has a COUNTY with 20 people. Wyoming issues car license renewals one month a year. There are no month stickers...just year ones. Rednecks abound! Montana has no concealed permits...you can't carry it under your clothes...right out in the open please. No unmarked policecars either. There's a law in the state constitution that prohibits unmarked cars.

Edited by bajabuc
rant
Guest Letereat!
To Europeans, all Americans are Yankees.
To Americans, all Europeans are #$%##&%^$$$(#&@^...

Well if thats the case then all people from the UK are bloody Brits, specially the ones from Northern Ireland, Oh Shoot is a Zealous and Pious Baptist Preacher cause he was born in the Bible Belt, (i recon so at least), and everyone who commented on "Prince Poppycock" thinks he is the shiznit to be emulated hero of the Stars and Stripes. And, Mike357 is in league with Enfield commiting subterfuge and reconnoitering there asses off for their weekly meetings with Kissinger, Obama and G. Gorden Liddy.;):P OR, all Europeans are a bunch of ignorant buffoons who parrot everything they here; or mabey they simply use vague generalities cause they just dont know any better.

At any rate, the ubiquitous "They", can call me anthing they like, and I dont give half a horses buttocks; because I know I am a GD redneck ass Heretic who has Lots O Bibles in multiple languages and countless other observations and opinions in them thar Book things. THUS, I got my own opinion of just whats goin on round here so just carry the F on if you don't mind....lesson if theres sumthin I ken do fer ye that is?:screwy:B)

that is correct. He doesn't like when I call him a FIFO :D

the first person I ever heard say that was a guy I worked with who was from Dickson. Cracked me up when he told me what it meant. He started in on me with it one day. I started referring to him as a FIFTEN. He did not care for that too much. LOL And he quit referring to me as a FIFO.

I came here from Florida. I am sure you all got a name for that too.

Guest rebeldrummer

Let's start with the background...

My moms side all from Kentucky

My dads side all from Mississippi

Somehow they migrated to Illinois....thus that is where I was born

Now I grew up hunting and fishing...guns and knives.

All but about 10 of BOTH SIDES have merged here to Tennessee. Somewhere around 30 immediate family members,

I made it here when I was 14.....I'm 26 now...in less than 2 years it will be 50/50...

I haave that "DIY" attitude....I also have a little bit of both street and woods smarts

I guess I'm a hybrid, and proud of it.

I have never denied it. Raised on Skyline and Goetta and Hudepohl, can't get anything that good here.

I was just kidding, actually. I don't care, I just like to play along as a southerner.

I was just kidding, actually. I don't care, I just like to play along as a southerner.

I knew that :)

I find it funny or irritating, not sure which when people hang labels on other people. Well unless it is me assigning the labels ;)

I said it before in another thread about this topic. I think we are all Americans.

I knew that :)

I find it funny or irritating, not sure which when people hang labels on other people. Well unless it is me assigning the labels ;)

I said it before in another thread about this topic. I think we are all Americans.

Sure, but yer a YANKEE-American.

:D

Lol, that's kind of funny to me, people tend to forget there are backwoods in the north, big time. Anyone who doesn't believe me I'll take you up to my old stomping grounds and show you what COUNTRY is! I haven't found anything close around here (western NY, I have a picture somewhere taken off a seasonal limited use highway on top of a hill where you can see a good 20 miles, and there isn't a house or road in the picture. We used to see how long we could drive around without ever touching pavement, our record I think is 3 hours, and we gave up and got on a paved road because we needed gas. In wyoming county NY, both deer and cows actually outnumber people).

That being said, I'm originally from Ny, been here for 7 years, and I ain't goin back, so yall just have to deal with me! I won't tell you how great it is up there though, as I hated all 20 years I lived there!

Exactly. You're probably familiar with the Catskill Mtns. where you have to drive 15-20 miles just to get to a gas station or up in the Adirondacks where there's Amish communities, Indian reservations, and mobile homes for miles on end. It's a very diverse state. I think it's a beautiful state to visit, but the cost of living and back-asswards laws make it difficult for any freedom loving, gun-toting, American to stay there.

And "y'all" won't hear me saying "this is how we do things up North" because as far as I'm concerned, y'all are doing something right. And I've lived all over this country... NY, NJ, SC, IL, MN, OR and here I am... so deal with it ;) But if somehow, I get run out of this state, then I'm going to Wyoming.

Oh and remember when I said I was from NY? Well, just like Obama, I "found" my birth certificate and it looks like I'm from Kentucky... true story... now can we move on to more important things?? :):P

Guest Letereat!
Of course, I would never actually call Mike a FIFO to his face. But behind this computer I have no fear!!!

;)

aint that the truth!!:P And here all this time I thought I was all alone..........

to use the most overused word on the internet

"THIS"

I know plenty of people from north of the Ohio river that are not Yankees, and plenty from around here who are worse than any northerner I have ever met. I have encountered many born here who are the most standoffish people I have come across, and many from "there" who would not hesitate to give you the shirt off their back and half of their last sammich then invite you over for a cookout.

Being born in the south does not make you special or better than people in the north.

So what you're basically saying is that there are @$$hats no matter where you go? Who'da thunk it? :)

It all comes down to this... If you don't eat grits, you're a yankee. Doesn't matter where you were born.

If that's the measure, I'm definitely a Yankee. But my wife isn't. Can I still live with her?