Briggs & Stratton engine troubles

I have a tiller and cant seem to get it started and running .

Here are the symptoms: I crank it and it wont start. I then spray gas into the carb and it starts for a few seconds then stops. It has fire to the plug . I know that .

I have took off the fuel tank, cleaned it out and the line too .

I have took off the carb and cleaned it out . I took off the float bowl and clean it too .

Still it only runs a few seconds with a splash of gas to the carb and then quits .

The carb only has an idle adjustment screw . I dont see any other adjustment needle or valves . It is a Brigg and Stratton 6hp engine .

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had similar issues for two or three years in a row. I found a good deal on a pressure washer that the pump was busted on, pulled the Honda engine and threw the B&S into the scrap metal bin. 4th season on the used Honda. Starts 2nd or 3rd pull, EVERY time. I think I gave $50 for the junk pressure washer. Best $50 I ever spent.

Hate to say it, but Briggs and Tecumseh have become the laughing stock of the small engine world in the last 8 or 10 years. Can't beat japanese designs.

.......that really doesn't help you though. Sorry.

I sounds like the main jet for the fuel in the carb is clogged. The reason its running when your putting gas in the carb is because its not getting any other wise.

Sounds like it me too. You mentioned cleaning the carb but if that didn't include cleaning out the jet passages then try that. They are very small though. I've had good success using a small piece of copper wire out of electrical wire.

Tip#1 - Use non-ethanol fuel in your lawn tools.

Did the garage sale thing with the Honey this morning. Found two mowers, one was free and the other $5.00. Both not running. Cleaned the carbs and put fresh fuel in them and they fired right up. One was a Bolens (free) and the other was a Craftmans with a Honda motor.

Most of the time it's only trash in the fuel or a crack in the fuel line or plunger/fuel primer which may be the case on your tiller.

some of the BS engines have removable brass orifices for the main jet. You can carefully remove it and see if there's crud in there. I'd suggest you strip the carb and get a can of Berryman's carb dip, about $20 at most auto parts stores. Once you've removed everything dip the carb in there over night. Pull it out and rinse with hot water and then blow it dry with compressed air. It will look new. Reassemble and you should be good to go. I'd be careful poking any metal through carb holes as it is possible to change the size. But of course it is just a B&S engine. The carb dunk will probably fix your troubles.

I look at some for my neighbors.

Take it apart and soak it in carb cleaner. Blow it out with air.

Crap sometimes getcaught in the small orfices.

Check the rubber primer line for dry rot if it has one. If it has a primer bulb, make sure

the bulb isn't sucking air around the sides.

Let us know how you make out.

Ray