ATF calling after tornadoes?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

huh what? do you guys have to registar guns or something down there? or are you talking about someone with a ffl or class 3 or something?

I didn't talk to them but they left the message saying they were contacting collectors to see if they had suffered any losses, gave a number to call but it appears to be a cell number. I will probably call the actual office tomorrow.

Guest Broomhead

I agree with the above folks. The BATFE shouldn't be calling in the first place, unless they are just super, super bored, and they definitely shouldn't be leaving a cell phone as a call back number. If you haven't already deleted the message, don't. Keep it in your voice mail or figure out a way to I would call the local/district office, tell them about the message, and give them the supposed agent's name and number. They may be very interested to hear about this.

Let us know what they say if you decide to call.

Edited by Broomhead

I called the Chattanooga Office number and they connected me with the investigator. They are checking with C&R and other dealers to see if any guns are lost and whatnot. He said some were checking in the Knox area also. It was weird, but legit.

Guest 6.8 AR

Have they ever done this kind of thing in the past? "We're from the government and

we're here to help you" always is fishy to me.

Guest HvyMtl

Um. What? They gonna replace your loss? Do they think the tornado possibly flung your weapon into a high crime area? What was the reason they gave for the call?

After being doubtful about this yesterday. I had a message from the Knoxville ATF office when I came home this afternoon. They called from a legitimate phone number and the message said they were checking for any damage or loss of firearm inventory or records.

I still think this is kind of strange.

Wow, that is odd.

Does bring up one thing I've been curious about. We all know what to do if a firearm is stolen from our collection, but what if our weapons AND records are all destroyed? I assume there's a form for that?

Guest 6.8 AR

David Asner did a piece on his show on FOX Business about Project Gunrunner. That

may be getting some more air time now that UBL is dead. I hope so.

Maybe it's a warm and fuzzy attempt to show the kinder and gentler side to the ATF,

in light of their misdeeds throughout history.

Somehow I doubt that.

With our work phones in-op after the tornados in Huntsville, we (Fed LEO office) were working off cell phones. I also place calls to the west coast from home with my govt cell. Better than hanging around the office until someone in CA gets home from work with a 2hr time difference.

Some houses that were hit by tornados lost entire weapons collections. Gone. I still don't know how a tornado can pick up a rifle or handgun and just carry it away! One owner lost 23 weapons (not in a safe) and only found 3 so far.

BATFE may just be trying to get a jump on entering lost weapons into NCIC.

Guest TnValleyBulletman

Yes, they called me last May after the flood to inquire about my inventory and the records. There wasn't anything said about my personal stamp guns though.

The call came from a cell phone; an Agent somebody. He left a message, I called and left him one that all was secure. It troubled me not at all. If you have any type of FFL including a C&R you can expect some contact with ATF. It's just part of it.