which one to get????

Guest zn418

I am looking to purchase a hand gun, but can not decide which one to buy.... I want a revolver or a semi... but not sure which way to go. Also which brands would you recommend on the lower end of both. Like under $400

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give you some advice on a revolver. I carry a Taurus .38, model 85 Ultra-Lite. It is a great revolver for the money. It's very lightweight, small and easy to conceal. You can get a new one out the door for about $375.00.....That leaves enough leftover for a good box of JHP's :)

As far as a semi-auto goes......not sure for less than $400. I would say if you want a good carry semi-auto, spend an extra $100 and get a Glock 26 or 27. G26 is a 9mm and the G27 is a .40.....they are both the same size, lightweight and easy to conceal. There's a lot of Glock haters on here, so be ready for their anti-Glock comments. But in the end, just go somewhere that has all the different guns in stock and make your own decision. Get what feels right and you're comfortable with. (Go ahead Mars, I'm ready :);))

Check Gunbroker.com, I'm sure you can find a good used S&W revolver there that will be in your price range. As far as semi-autos are concerned, try Gunbroker or CDNN Investments. One of these will probably have a used S&W or Glock in that range (or close).

DON'T FORGET to check w/ Rabbi. He has a gun shop in Nashville and has good used guns pretty regularly.

It is going to depend entirely on what he wants to do with the gun. A concealed carry revolver is not the same item as a full-sized 9mm.

For something just to learn how to shoot and provide home defense, either a Smith Model 10/64 in .38spc or a 9mm 3rd generation Smith or even Ruger would work fine.

I am looking to purchase a hand gun, but can not decide which one to buy.... I want a revolver or a semi... but not sure which way to go. Also which brands would you recommend on the lower end of both. Like under $400

Take that $400, go to a range that has handguns for rent. Try as many of them as you can, if not every single thing they've got to offer. Explain to the friendly guy behind the counter what you're doing so he can explain things as you go. Maybe go to a TGO meet-n-shoot near you and ask to try out the different weapons people brought along. Odds are, most people will be happy to let you shoot their gun. Continue shooting everything you can possibly get your hands on until something feels right to you. Then save up your money to buy that one.

Guns are like cars. Take them for a spin before you buy them.

Take that $400, go to a range that has handguns for rent. Try as many of them as you can, if not every single thing they've got to offer. Explain to the friendly guy behind the counter what you're doing so he can explain things as you go. Maybe go to a TGO meet-n-shoot near you and ask to try out the different weapons people brought along. Odds are, most people will be happy to let you shoot their gun. Continue shooting everything you can possibly get your hands on until something feels right to you. Then save up your money to buy that one.

Guns are like cars. Take them for a spin before you buy them.

This is the best device. I can tell you a bunch of good firearms but if they don't fit you then you are either out the money you paid or the time you spent dealing with something that isn't a good fit.

I can also tell you a bunch of good restaurants but until you eat at them you won't know if I am right or wrong according to your tastes.

If there is no range that rents, go to the store and hold as many as you can with out the guy behind the counter getting peeved.

Guest canynracer

Semi autos, Taurus, Kahr CW series, some berettas, there are alot actually...rent a bunch at the range, read what post 7 said in this same thread...strongly suggest that advice....

Guest darkstar

I'll echo what a lot of others have said....try a bunch out. Also if you want to do a little research you can get one of the gun magazines annual buying guide issues, they are still on newstands and check out a bunch in the comfort of your home...the prices listed in those magazines are full retail prices and most gun stores will have the actual price lower so don't get discouraged. While it is a good place to start by checking out the magazines you can't hold them, examine all the features, etc. Shop around, find a friendly place and ask questions.

I would echo the XD, I have been very pleased with it. Not to start the whole Glock argument again, but I definitely would not recommend for the first gun. You really should have something with safety features. But an XD is going to cost you a little over 400. If you are looking for a semi under 400, I would recomend a 9mm. My first semi was a Kel-tec and it was a good gun to learn with. Very simple and easy to break down and clean.

As far as a revolver. I had a ruger sp101 that was recommended to me for carry by I am sure most everyone on here knows who. It was a nice gun and fun to shoot, but only someone the size of a gorilla could carry it concealed. My wife carries a S&W .38 special revolver that she loves. I have been very impressed with it, especially the accuracy you get from the small gun. I know Rabbi has them every once in a while for a good deal.

• 4 weeks later...

I want a revolver or a semi...

Well that pretty much covers it all.

Hans Solo says

I had a ruger sp101 that was recommended to me for carry by I am sure most everyone on here knows who. It was a nice gun and fun to shoot, but only someone the size of a gorilla could carry it concealed

You are kidding, right? I have one in .357 and it easily conceals. It is hardly a big framed gun at all. On my hip, under a shirt you can't see it, slide it in my waistband at 6 oclock and it is not visible. Actually it is an excellent option for someone buying their first revolver. It can be carried for protection and unlike the ultra lightweight S&W's you can shoot the crap out of it at the range.

Guest TNHillbilly

i alternate between a SP101 in .357 and a NAA Guardian .380.

Both ride IWB.

I'm not a gorrilla, only 5'7" and 200 lbs, (maybe an orangutan) but I can reasonably hide the

SP101 IWB with a jacket or a large T shirt.

Exactly what is wrong with being gorilla size? I am 6'-8" and a little sensitive. I'm not fat just big boned @ 325#'s. I can also carry an 8-3/8" N frame concealed under a light shirt. Also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once also!

I never said the sp101 was a bad gun. I actually loved shooting it. I am 6' and 175 lbs and my normal everyday wear is slacks and a button up shirt with the shirt tucked in. I just found that my XD subCompact in a M-Tac holster a better carry gun. i probably would have kept the SP101 other than the fact that I did not necessarily need it since I have the list of handguns you can see below and I wanted an AR more.

I've had an XD-9, Hi-Power, Kel-Tec PF9, and FN FNP-9. I don't have the XD or PF9 anymore. If your looking for a great all round.... FN Hi-Power .40. You can get them from CDNN for that price. I also really like my FN FNP-9. It was $439 shipped. Also CDNN. Great polymer gun.

The HP is a great shooter with hardly any felt recoil.

Here's the FNP

IMG_2107.jpg

the HP

IMG_1978.jpg

I carry a Ruger 101...it only holds 5 rounds...but, I can shoot reg. 38's for practice and I can carry it with .357 hp's. I have had it for about 10 years and never had a problem. Not sure about the $400 price. 10 years ago it was in the $200+ range. With that said, I would not hesitate to buy a good used one. :)

Guest eyebedam
I've had an XD-9, Hi-Power, Kel-Tec PF9, and FN FNP-9. I don't have the XD or PF9 anymore. If your looking for a great all round.... FN Hi-Power .40. You can get them from CDNN for that price. I also really like my FN FNP-9. It was $439 shipped. Also CDNN. Great polymer gun.

The HP is a great shooter with hardly any felt recoil.

Here's the FNP

IMG_2107.jpg

the HP

IMG_1978.jpg

If im not mistaken Bass Pro has these advertised for 429.00 this week in a .40 & I think the 9 is a little less.

Guest bigbuck_tn

If you are new to handguns I would suggest a revolver.

You can get a good used S&W revolver at most gun stores. Blow's Gun shop in McLemoresville TN has a couple of nice used 66s in that price range and they have had them for a while so they may want to move them.

If you are comfortable with automatics most anything will be good as long as it fits your hand and point well at the target. If you close your eyes and point the gun at something when you open your eyes the sights should be aligned or very close to that. That's why I chose Glocks. It is easier to aim if you aren't looking for the sights.