Colt Combat .45 ACP

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I would like to preface this post by saying I wished I had more/specific information to convey. I have been offered a Colt Combat (my buddy purchased it new about 25 years ago) and has never carried it and put maybe 500 rounds through it and has 5 magazines for ther gun. He is not sure the exact model but thinks it is a combat. I asked him if was a Commander or what and he says it is not. I am sure he has kept it in his safe and has not picked it up in years so I can understand the lack of details. Given what little information given, would any of you guys or gals have any insight on reasonable asking price, etc.? I will be taking a look at the pistol in the next few days and will post more information. Thanks

Okay, I just received a phone call. The pistol was purchased in 1997. It is actually a Colt 1911 Combat Target.

Edited by dboonekilledabearhere
More specific description added
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through a few Colts a couple of years ago, and I got excellent help directly from Colt. Just call them with the serial number and they'll tell you everything you could want to know about it.

As for value, it would depend on things like overall condition, caliber, finish, whether it's in original condition, and whether it includes the original box and papers.

If it's original with 95% finish and box and papers, my wild guess would be anywhere between $900 and $1,500, depending on particulars. If it's in worse shape, or has been modified or missing box and papers, the price could be as low as $600-$700. Still, it really just depends on what the market will bear.

Once you get your info, dig through GunBroker or GunsAmerica for some check prices.

Good luck!

I'm an old Colt 1911 guy (...back to the mid seventies...). There was a Combat Commander (...4.25 inch barrel....). It is simply an all steel commander (...the original commanders were aluminum frames...). They are more like the current springfield champions. They are a great pistol if the price is right. Highly recommend 'em.

Hope this helps.

leroy

Guest 10mm4me

It could be a Combat Commander or a Combat Elite...both great guns. If in decent shape, $700-$800 would be fair as you can get a new XSE version for around $900 and cheaper. A Combat Elite will be a blued slide atop a stainless frame w/really cool looking wood grips.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will actually get to see it tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

It is a Colt Combat Target. One owner. purchased new in 1997 and it looks brand new. No scratches or wear of any kind. If think I can get it for around $650. Thoughts?

....No, that's way too high! Why don't you PM me this guy's name and address, and I'll go straighten him out for you.:)

$650 for most anything with a picture of a horsie on it is a fair price nowadays. ....

Aint it the truth brother!!!

Keep up the good work!

leroy

No, that's way too high! Why don't you PM me this guy's name and address, and I'll go straighten him out for you.:up:

$650 for most anything with a picture of a horsie on it is a fair price nowadays.

Thanks for having my back :D