Is There Really A Feral Hog Problem?

Pardon my ignorance on this topic - I don't hunt because I'm too stubborn as a former police firearms instructor to go take that hunter safety course. I would assume that these wild hogs would be good eating wouldn't they?

Yes if prepared properly and not too old. The older boars can have a very strong smell and taste. But the younger ones and sows can taste just like farm raised pigs. Of course correctly field dressing the boars is important to prevent the scent glands from ruining the meat.

Others may have more info on this matter, I'm no expert

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fentress, Overton, Morgan, Scott are all good counties. Emory river, is a public hunting area, near frozen head state park. Definitely hogs in there. It not listed as a WMA, but f you need directions let me know. We have managed the Timber on the tract for over 10 years

I know next year, Dad and I are talking about Going Deer Hunting in Scott County to team up our Deer hunt and maybe have a chance at a wild Hog at the same time.

I believe you can hunt them year around, even in deer season while hunting deer. I will double check before I do so. EIther sex no limit

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Feral Hog/Wild Boar

They even have exceptions in place to hunt with dogs, but I don't have dogs to hunt with. From watching the hog hunting shows one had better know what to expect if you try.

Not sure I can find it now but I thought I found in the hunting guide that that wanted you to wear Safety Orange to Hog hunt even if it wasn't deer season. I am going to try to find that but not sure I will be able to find that. So I will probably only hog hunt during Deer season. Unless I confirm that either way. However I just tried to go though every word of the PDF of orange and Hog and could not find it. So I don't believe it is required expect in deer season, maybe something else. I could always be wrong.

Edited by vontar
Guest 6.8 AR

I saw a roadkilled feral hog in Bruceton this morning

on the way to work. First one on a road. Had to look

twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vontar that info is out of date,new rules landowner & up to 10 others he puts on a list,dogs ,bait & nitetime hunting can & will be allowed.these new rules were passed & should be out soon

Woot, Now I need to see that, then I need to find a land owner that wants some hogs killed. I this fall I plan to do some hog hunting. I probably won't do much until this fall but I am serious I want to kill a some hogs.

I am certainly going to go to Scott Co at the very least.

Maybe a few other places I have a good change.

Heck, I would like some fresh Hog, I bet dad would too.

I read it, but must have missed the "nightime and bait" part. Gonna go back and read it again.

Yeah I don't think you can hunt with bait or at nighttime. Just because changes were approved doesn't mean you can hunt by them. Be aware of the CURRENT rules and regs, which to hunt at night you have to have a special permit from TWRA

Yeah I don't think you can hunt with bait or at nighttime. Just because changes were approved doesn't mean you can hunt by them. Be aware of the CURRENT rules and regs, which to hunt at night you have to have a special permit from TWRA

I haven't see the changes in writing any place except in this forum. I think I will wait until I see something official. However I like the sound of it.

If someone has a link to to something official about this change I would love to see it

If there is a permit to get, I might be interested, depends on all the rules involved and what the area is like were I am allowed to Bait and hunt these things at night.

As it was stated, if I need a Land Owner to sign me up, instead of just hunting on public land that might be a problem most land owners in those counties have Posted their lands and won't let people hunt on their property. Even ones that have their name and phone number list, I have never been given permission to hunt when I have contacted them, I get the feeling they will probably be the same way with the wild hogs. (wait they might let me kill the hogs, just not the deer).

Still, I just need to see the rules. But I am serious about trying to kill some this year.

I have not hunted anything for sport since 2001.

I could get into killing hogs though. I think it needs to be done more so than likes to be done. That is most other types of hunting are done because people like to hunt, I am not faulting anyone for that because I was an avid hunter at some point in my life. But with the pigs they are so intrusive and destructive that if we don't keep them at bay they will cost us all money in the way of property, livestock and crop damage.

If anyone knows of any hunting grounds within 1 hour of Knoxville please let me know.

Dolomite

I haven't see the changes in writing any place except in this forum. I think I will wait until I see something official. However I like the sound of it.

If someone has a link to to something official about this change I would love to see it

If there is a permit to get, I might be interested, depends on all the rules involved and what the area is like were I am allowed to Bait and hunt these things at night.

As it was stated, if I need a Land Owner to sign me up, instead of just hunting on public land that might be a problem most land owners in those counties have Posted their lands and won't let people hunt on their property. Even ones that have their name and phone number list, I have never been given permission to hunt when I have contacted them, I get the feeling they will probably be the same way with the wild hogs. (wait they might let me kill the hogs, just not the deer).

Still, I just need to see the rules. But I am serious about trying to kill some this year.

Whatever is on the TWRA website are the current up-to-date rules. If there is a change that applies to this hunting season they will post it on there. Also Public Hunting areas (not WMA) is considered under private land rules so I'm not sure how the whole landowner sing-up would work with those properties.

If you determine that hogs are causing damage to your property you can apply for a permit to hunt them at night ( or the landowner can apply). That's how it works now, the future changes we'll just have to wait and see

Instead of simplifying the rules on hog hunting, seems to me they complicated them even more than they were in the past! Our local Wildlife refuge has a good (or bad in this case) population of feral hogs, but they stopped the hunt on them this year. I can't figure that one out. There is a lot of cropland there also. Going to be interesting to hear what the cooperative farmers will have to say.

Guest Appalachian

As far as eat'n the hog , I've always heard that if a hog gets excited/mad/panics before its killed the meat aint fit to eat because it smells & taste so bad.

Guest brandon_pitt
As far as eat'n the hog , I've always heard that if a hog gets excited/mad/panics before its killed the meat aint fit to eat because it smells & taste so bad.

Interesting. As far as the feral hogs being a nuisance, I have not found/heard of any land owners allowing people to hunt the hogs. I, too, have been looking to hunt these beasts.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jeffster

Hunted them in Texas and talk to folks that deal with them in other locations. Just wait if you don't have them all over the place now you will in the future. They breed non-stop, eat anything and....well coyotes aren't going to put a dent in the population one bit. Finally use them Pit Bulls for something they were bred to do. Talk about a RUSH of a hunt. :shrug:) a couple of catch dogs, and a pig sticker. Puts the South In Southern. (HA)

Guest Larry

Here in Texas they have no rules on hogs, no limits, hunt at night, etc. I can take you places that the ground looks like its been plowed due to their rooting. Most farmers will let you hunt if you are polite and dont seem 'tactical' which is a joke here. I have had hunters ask to hunt on my place that looked as if they had spent or were getting ready to hit the bush for a month.

Hogs are a huge problem here, especially east and south. We hunt usually at night with lights. 3 of us, 1 with a large cal rifle (308 usually). I have had a 6mm and 243 with Speer 70 tnt's which are my coyote load not knock hogs down.