Think I screwed up today...

Wazzu

I went to the gun show in Knoxville today and sold a handgun. It's the first time I've ever sold a handgun and I didn't think to do any paperwork. (In fact, I didn't even get the name of the guy I sold it to.)

How bad did I screw up here? Is there anything I can do now to protect myself from liability in case that gun ever ends up being used in a crime?

I'm getting pretty nervous now...help!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where you screwed up was in selling the gun in the first place.

I've sold dozens of guns, and never did any paperwork. The only way it's ever bitten me in the ass is when I'm looking at a nice piece, and I get to say, "Oooh, I used to have one of those..."

And even if he uses it in a crime, your not liable unless they can prove 1) that you sold it to him 2) that he was not legally eligible to buy a gun and you knowingly sold it anyway

So as long as he didn't say " i can't buy a gun legally can I buy yours?" your fine, rest easy

Guest Tusculum

I totally agree, The only screw up you made was selling the gun to begin with. What sucks is: The money gets gone and so is the gun! Dont sweat the lack of info. Ive done it plenty of times.

Guest motonut

It's more a CYA kind of thing. In case the gun is used in a crime you can say, "see here, I sold that gun x yrs ago to this person".

you are going to prison dude..........

:up:

Just make up some kind of note that dates the day you sold it. If something should come to pass you will have something to show. Anyway there is no law that says you need to do anything other than what you did.

If I am selling I only ask if they are legal to buy a gun and ask to see their ID proving them as a TN resident.

I always keep hard copies of receipts for guns bought, even FTF purchases I will write up something and put in my gun file, then when I sell I note it on that sheet of paper.

I sold one at a gun show a few weeks back and all that I did was asked if he had an HCP and when said he did I asked to see it. That was proof that he was eligible to buy a gun. I can't tell you his name now.

Guest dubaholic2

bought and traded lots of guns and never filled any papaerwork out. i had a guy want me to fill out a form with a bunch of stuff on it that i didnt really want him to know, so i refused. i will however show my permit to prove i am elidgible to purchase.

You should be OK - but you should askt he seller a few questions - are you a resident of Tn - have you been convicted of a felony? you also may go as far as asking to see his driver license. Just my preference.

Where you screwed up was in selling the gun in the first place.

I've sold dozens of guns, and never did any paperwork. The only way it's ever bitten me in the ass is when I'm looking at a nice piece, and I get to say, "Oooh, I used to have one of those..."

That's my typical thought: sellers regret.

I refuse to sell or buy from anyone requesting a bill of sale on a personal transaction...they can do business elsewhere IMHO.

I don't know who they will sell it to or what happens to it after it leaves my hands....I sure don't want my name in the box 3 owners later if they do something bad with it.

Just my honest opinion. As mentioned earler if you sell to someone and have no reason not to sell to them you are good. Simple TN DL or HCP is all you need to comfort your ego is something seems off.

Guest motonut
I refuse to sell or buy from anyone requesting a bill of sale on a personal transaction...they can do business elsewhere IMHO.

I don't know who they will sell it to or what happens to it after it leaves my hands....I sure don't want my name in the box 3 owners later if they do something bad with it.

Just my honest opinion. As mentioned earler if you sell to someone and have no reason not to sell to them you are good. Simple TN DL or HCP is all you need to comfort your ego is something seems off.

Ego has nothing to do with it.

I really am more concearned by who I trade from than who I trade to. Example being I here all the time about people getting checked on traffic stops and the gun is comes back stolen and the person in posession of it has accuired it legally. Numbers get reported wrong all the time and duplicate numbers exist. I like to know how to get back in touch with a seller afterwards so in case I need them to vouch that they did have it.

You should be OK - but you should askt he seller a few questions - are you a resident of Tn - have you been convicted of a felony? you also may go as far as asking to see his driver license. Just my preference.
Oh Thank you TGO...I sold my Smith and Wesson shotgun for more than I paid for it...and bought my Mosin

I did ask the guy if he could buy and he said yes...