Trigger Job Recommendations? Nashville Area

Guest MrCleaner30

Guest MrCleaner30

I'm looking for a reputable gunsmith that is competatively priced to do a trigger job on my S&W 686 and S&W 642 revolvers. Any suggestions? Also what type of prices should I expect?

I appreciate your help

Eric

I hear the guy @ guns and leather is really good. I've heard enough good things about him that I plan on taking my SP101 to him this fall. Jeff Walle is his name, I've talked to him on the phone. He's a very polite guy.

Guest nicemac

I have had two S&W 442s done at Franklin Gun Shop. The triggers are awesome, with about a three day turnaround. To prevent light primer strikes from the much lighter trigger, he replaces the firing pin with an extended pin. I have had no light strikes with either gun after the trigger jobs.

Is it me, or does it seem that FGS has tried to clean up their act a bit? I know before, you couldn't find a snobbier bunch of _____'s. I've never stopped going, they have the best selection anywhere, so i always go there to see what I want, then go order it elsewhere cheaper, from nicer people. BUT, over the past year or so they really seem to "ACT" like they care whereas before....well they didn't. They're still a touch pricey, but I can deal with that much easier than the attitude. I hope they're trying harder now.

Guest nicemac
Is it me, or does it seem that FGS has tried to clean up their act a bit? I know before, you couldn't find a snobbier bunch of _____'s. I've never stopped going, they have the best selection anywhere, so i always go there to see what I want, then go order it elsewhere cheaper, from nicer people. BUT, over the past year or so they really seem to "ACT" like they care whereas before....well they didn't. They're still a touch pricey, but I can deal with that much easier than the attitude. I hope they're trying harder now.

I have bought 8-10 guns from them through the years and have never felt they were snobby in the least. I found them to be the absolute cheapest local (Nashville metro area) price on several of those purchases.

I've bought a good dozen from them as far back as when they were in the small shop across the parking lot. I guess I look like the type that has no money or the one your momma warned you about because I used to have a heck of a time getting waited on {NOT recently BTW} but the shortest straw was when they wouldn't wait on my wife when she was shopping for a gift for me. She stood there for a 10-15 minutes while they were just talking and laughing. There might have been 4 or 5 people in there. They were just yucking it up not actually doing business.

That just didn't sit well.

Guest nicemac
I've bought a good dozen from them as far back as when they were in the small shop across the parking lot. I guess I look like the type that has no money or the one your momma warned you about because I used to have a heck of a time getting waited on {NOT recently BTW} but the shortest straw was when they wouldn't wait on my wife when she was shopping for a gift for me. She stood there for a 10-15 minutes while they were just talking and laughing. There might have been 4 or 5 people in there. They were just yucking it up not actually doing business.

That just didn't sit well.

My wife has bought two from them without me in there with her and been in numerous times for accessories. She thinks very highly of them–they always treat her respectfully.

Yeah, we've seen a real change as of late, that's pretty much how we both are received there now. I'm glad too.

Whoa,:screwy: Sorry OP!

Another place to get a good trigger job would be the Lock Stock and Barrel in franklin. I have a one handgun done by Tom Marker and it is very nice. Just don't be in a hurry, because I guarantee he won't. He does good work and is fairly reasonable but likes to take his time.

Guest MrCleaner30
I hear the guy @ guns and leather is really good. I've heard enough good things about him that I plan on taking my SP101 to him this fall. Jeff Walle is his name, I've talked to him on the phone. He's a very polite guy.

Did they quote a price? What can I expect? Thanks

Guest MrCleaner30
I have had two S&W 442s done at Franklin Gun Shop. The triggers are awesome, with about a three day turnaround. To prevent light primer strikes from the much lighter trigger, he replaces the firing pin with an extended pin. I have had no light strikes with either gun after the trigger jobs.

Guest MrCleaner30
I have used John Wall at Eastside Gun Shop. Through, knowledgeable, and reasonable. That says it all. Just my opinion.

Guest MrCleaner30
Tom at Lock, Stock and Barrel in Franklin does good work. But be sure and hold him to whatever price he quotes you.

I'm not sure I understand the question. But John will ask what you want done, inspect your gun and give you a price for the work. He's always treated me fairly and will resolve any issues you might have. ( I've never had any problems.)

You know, if you want the best trigger job money can buy, it's not that big a deal to head east my friend. There is NO FINER PISTOLSMITH on God's green earth than the gentleman residing in Louisville TN. There's some really big dog gunsmiths out there, but if you want the best work (revolvers) on earth, not just TN Head east and and let Hamilton Bowen take care of it.

How many people do you know that can make the value of your gun higher, just because they worked on it? http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/index.html

i use 300 gunsmith in denver co for s&w anything else i use mark warner he lives in old hickory for triggers anyway

i have a 475 that mr bowden built it is something else but 300 gunsmith does a great jod on smiths as does bill laughin this could go on and on so i will stop here

• Like 1
Guest MrCleaner30
I'm not sure I understand the question. But John will ask what you want done, inspect your gun and give you a price for the work. He's always treated me fairly and will resolve any issues you might have. ( I've never had any problems.)

thanks for the info. What did Eastside charge for your trigger job might I ask, so I know what to expect?

Edited by MrCleaner30
Guest MrCleaner30
You know, if you want the best trigger job money can buy, it's not that big a deal to head east my friend. There is NO FINER PISTOLSMITH on God's green earth than the gentleman residing in Louisville TN. There's some really big dog gunsmiths out there, but if you want the best work (revolvers) on earth, not just TN Head east and and let Hamilton Bowen take care of it.

How many people do you know that can make the value of your gun higher, just because they worked on it? + Bowen Classic Arms + Home

Not really lookin to get that crazy but a local reputable shop is good. What did G&L quote you may I ask for the SP101? Thanks

Guest MrCleaner30
i use 300 gunsmith in denver co for s&w anything else i use mark warner he lives in old hickory for triggers anyway

i have a 475 that mr bowden built it is something else but 300 gunsmith does a great jod on smiths as does bill laughin this could go on and on so i will stop here

Thanks for the info...just lookin' to drop it off somewhere local for now at a good reputable shop for a competative price.

Tom at Lock, Stock and Barrel in Franklin does good work. But be sure and hold him to whatever price he quotes you.

I had Tom do some work for me, and it was finiished early, and at the quoted price. That said, it was an easy job (front sight install, requiring a tap then drill, on an old Ruger Mark). The work was spot-on. He has my recommendation. I've also used Jeff Walle, and he may be the nicest person on the planet.