plastic fantastic rentals

Guest nysos

Guest nysos

I am looking to take the plunge into the strike fired realm of a compact carry. Wondering if any Knoxville area members know of any ranges that have s&w m&ps to rent. I know plenty of people with glocks and have shot them, my dad has an xdm which I have shot plenty, but the gun I haven't been able to get my hands on to shoot has been the m&p. I would like to try and decide between these 3 brands, I am currently leaning towards a 3rd or 4th gen glock 19 or 23 just because the grip feels better to me than on the xd and I shoot both equally well. The downfall of the m&p is the gritty stock trigger which kind of has me turned off, but the gun feels good in my hand. I figured people are raving about the apex trigger kits, so if I really can't stand it, then I can always try one of them.

Any others have some insight, or possibly want to go to the range together one day if you have said gun? :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dubaholic2

i believe coal creek rents guns. not sure what kind of selection they have. id give them a shout if i were you.

I am looking to take the plunge into the strike fired realm of a compact carry. Wondering if any Knoxville area members know of any ranges that have s&w m&ps to rent. I know plenty of people with glocks and have shot them, my dad has an xdm which I have shot plenty, but the gun I haven't been able to get my hands on to shoot has been the m&p. I would like to try and decide between these 3 brands, I am currently leaning towards a 3rd or 4th gen glock 19 or 23 just because the grip feels better to me than on the xd and I shoot both equally well. The downfall of the m&p is the gritty stock trigger which kind of has me turned off, but the gun feels good in my hand. I figured people are raving about the apex trigger kits, so if I really can't stand it, then I can always try one of them.

Any others have some insight, or possibly want to go to the range together one day if you have said gun? :up:

CCA does have the M&P9. Also, since you're going plastic, you should give the Sig Pro SP2022 a shot. It's a compact as well with a 3.9 barrel. I don't think they have it at CCA though but it can normally be had brand new for less the $400 shipped. Last time I looked on Slickdeals, I think they were $379 shipped for .40 and 9mm.

Coal Creek Armory Indoor Shooting Range

Here's their full list

Handgun rental inventory includes:

• Beretta 92FS 9mm
    • Bersa Thunder380 .380 ACP
    • Browning Buckmark .22LR
    • CZ 75B 9mm
    • CZ 75D 9mm
    • Glock 19 9mm
    • Glock 26 9mm
    • Glock 32 .357 Sig
    • Glock 27 .40 S&W
    • Glock 23 .40 S&W
    • Glock 22 .40 S&W
    • Glock 35 .40 S&W
    • Glock 29 10mm
    • Glock 30 .45 ACP
    • Glock 36 .45 ACP
    • Glock 21 .45 ACP
    • Heckler & Koch USP .40S&W
    • Heckler & Koch USP Compact .45ACP
    • Kahr CW9 9mm
    • Kel-Tec P32 .32 ACP
    • Kel-Tec P3AT .380 ACP (Temporarily Out)
    • Kimber Rim fire Target .22LR
    • Kimber Custom Target II .45 ACP
    • Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
    • Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50AE
    • Ruger Mark II .22LR
    • Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel .22LR
    • Ruger Mark II 22/45 Suppressed .22LR
    • Ruger SR9 9mm
    • SIG P232 .380 ACP
    • SIG P239 9mm
    • SIG P239 SAS .40S&W
    • SIG P226 9mm
    • SIG P229 .40S&W
    • SIG P220 .45 ACP (Temporarily Out)
    • SIG P250 9mm
    • S&W 317 Airweight .22LR
    • S&W 642 .38 Spl.
    • S&W 432 .32 H&R
    • S&W 686 .357 Mag
    • S&W 629 .44 Mag
    • S&W M&P 9mm
    • Springfield Armory XD9 9mm
    • Springfield Armory XD40 .40S&W
    • Springfield Armory XD40 Subcompact .40 S&W
    • Springfield Armory XD45 .45 ACP
    • Taurus PT709 9mm
    • Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull

Guest nysos

I normally shoot at CCA, last time I was in I didn't see an m&p in the rental case, but there were about 4 guns missing so someone may have been trying it out.

As for the sig pro, I love my sigs and it is definitely on the list of guns to get but I want to get a striker fired next, then a 1911, then maybe the sig pro will be up for its turn. Then again, that order all may change...... Too many guns I want, so little moneys.

Thanks for all the input.

Guest peacexxl

Since you didn't really ask, I won't charge you for my opinion ... this time. Don't overlook the standard XD. I know the XDm is the "latest and greatest" but when I was choosing my carry gun, the XDm was available, but I still found that I prefered the 4" XD over the XDm because I prefered the ergonomics of the original. Just be sure to give it a try.

Guest nysos

I appreciate all positive input. :)

Much of it will come down to opportunity. I am going to borrow my dad's xdm and rent a g19 and the m&p at the range all on the same day to get the best side by side comparison I can. If there is no clear cut winner, much of it will come down to opportunity and price. I have no problem buying a used gun in good condition.

In regards to the xd vs xdm, the match grade barrel hype isn't worth the extra amount in my opinion. I will just go with whatever feels and shoots better. I may have to give the regular xd a try to see if it feels much different to me.

Edited by nysos
Guest nysos
Maybe a few of us with glocks and M&P's and XD's could meet up with you at Coal Creek Armory Indoor Shooting Range and let you shoot our guns? That would save you alittle money to go towards your new gun. I would be willing to let you try out of of my Glocks.:)

I appreciate the offer. A friend of mine at work just got a gen 3 g19 a few weeks ago and we went shooting together, and thats sort of what spurred this on. I shoot his g19 VERY well. I know I like the glock, but not to put all my eggs in one basket I would like to try and get a side by side of each. If the m&p shoots as good as the glock for me, then it will be the winner because it feels better in my hand, and I think it looks better all around too.

I actually have a range membership at coal creek, so apparently I get $5 for unlimited rentals. So the rental fee isn't that big of a deal. I have no qualms with making new friends and range buddies, so if you'd like to go sometime shoot me a pm & we can exchange numbers and organize a date/time to go.

I appreciate the offer. A friend of mine at work just got a gen 3 g19 a few weeks ago and we went shooting together, and thats sort of what spurred this on. I shoot his g19 VERY well. I know I like the glock, but not to put all my eggs in one basket I would like to try and get a side by side of each. If the m&p shoots as good as the glock for me, then it will be the winner because it feels better in my hand, and I think it looks better all around too.

I actually have a range membership at coal creek, so apparently I get $5 for unlimited rentals. So the rental fee isn't that big of a deal. I have no qualms with making new friends and range buddies, so if you'd like to go sometime shoot me a pm & we can exchange numbers and organize a date/time to go.

If I had a Sig Pro, i'd definitely take you up on that offer just to let you shoot it but I have a P226 .40 and soon...(I freaking hope) Sig will finally send me the bloody 22LR conversion kit I ordered from them 5 weeks ago.

....In regards to the xd vs xdm, the match grade barrel hype isn't worth the extra amount in my opinion. I will just go with whatever feels and shoots better. I may have to give the regular xd a try to see if it feels much different to me.

I have several XD pistols and like them. I haven't fired an XDm the XD fits my hand better.