Before HCP?

Guest Bruce

Before I take my HCP class which is the end of March and try to get my permit, What is the best way to transport my handgun and ammo to go shooting without getting into trouble?

BTW I drive a Chevy S-10 so I have no trunk or locking glovebox.

Thanks

Edited by Bruce
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unload the pistol, place it in the case, make sure your magazines are empty and the ammunition is seperate. That will meet the requirement for the gun to not be loaded.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon. —

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

Edited by molonlabetn

To be a little more clear of the law and over zealous lawdogs I would get an Army Surplus ammo box and put that with ammunition in the bed of the truck when going to shoot. If possible put the guns in their cases behind the seat of the truck.

id lock the slide open on the weapon, and put a cable lock thru the eject port and thru the magwell and lock it. i would then place the weapon in the case and secure it in the seat beside me. i would then place any magazines and ammo in the trunk (or in the ammo box in the bed) with a bike lock to one of the corners in the rear most section of the truck. you do that and you should be ok even if you had a rookie ass stop you.

Is it ok to transport pistols and ammunition together in a range bag in the psuedo-trunk of the car (Chevy Malibu with a piece that covers cargo area in back making it inaccesible)? Range bag has zip up compartments for pistols & magazines (unloaded) and then boxes of ammo in the center of the bag?

Storage compartment of the bag zipped closed and then the carry strap is velcro-sealed.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Guest TargetShooter84

When I went to take my HCP class, I had a cargo box, so I just kept my gun unloaded in there, and magazines in the back seat...havent had any problems with that.