First gun purchase: step by step

Guest Hakkonen

Guest Hakkonen

I'm thinking about buying my first gun. I have never owned a firearm before. I know nothing about gun laws in TN. What kind of permit(s) do I need? What do I need to do before buying the gun?

If it matters, or if you're just curious, the weapon I have in mind is Uberti's reproduction of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver. Obviously, it's not a "carry" weapon; it would be strictly a range gun.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Strictly speaking, you do not need to do anything before going out and buying the gun, so long as it truly is just a range/home gun. Transporting it to and from the range will require the separation of gun and ammo, but nothing too crazy.

If you wanted to carry the gun, or transport the gun without unloading it, a permit would be required. The permit requires you to take an 8 hour class covering some aspects of gun safety, gun laws, and actual shooting. You also have to pass a background check, etc.

If you have not had much trigger time on a gun before, many people here would probably also recommend that you take some manner of instructional course, regardless of whether you intend to get a carry permit or not.

Yep, to everything above (especially the training). I would add that you also need to pass a background check at time of purchase, but it's performed over the phone while you wait and the fee is $10.

To buy that Uberti absolutely nothing is required, only money. Matter of fact you can order one directly off the internet and have it sent right to your home. Cabelas has a very nice selection of BP pistols. BP replicas are not considered firearms and AFAIK not subject to TICS or anything else.

To buy that Uberti absolutely nothing is required, only money. Matter of fact you can order one directly off the internet and have it sent right to your home. Cabelas has a very nice selection of BP pistols. BP replicas are not considered firearms and AFAIK not subject to TICS or anything else.

Oops...my bad.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Hakkonen

At the range I see some folks who obviously never had any training, not even grand dad yelling at them for pointing the gun at people.

For your own safety and others', it would behoove you to get some training on safe procedure at least from a knowledgable friend. In theory you could read everything you need to know, but live instruction is better. It is not rocket science, but even an untrained rocket scientist might not think of everything and possibly shoot himself with a dumb behavior he didn't think thru.

Some vicinities have multiple kinds of beginner training courses. In my vicinity years ago when me & wife decided to get guns, we took the handgun carry permit class. Neither of us intended at the time to get a carry license, but wanted to know how to safely handle guns in the home. Later I got the carry license, wife did not. It was a good enough introduction to help avoid dangerous handling.

Because a lot of the handgun carry classes devote a lot of the time discussing legalities of carry, then if your vicinity has some other class which only instructs on safe gun practices and marksmanship, then perhaps some other class would be more useful if you definitely don't intend to carry. That might give more "bang for the buck" in training if the entire class is devoted to gun handling.

Guest Hakkonen

Whoops. Forgot to mention I'm thinking of the cartridge-converted model, not the black-powder gun. It being my first, I think I prefer the ease-of-use of cartridges. :D

Hi Hakkonen

At the range I see some folks who obviously never had any training, not even grand dad yelling at them for pointing the gun at people.

For your own safety and others', it would behoove you to get some training on safe procedure at least from a knowledgable friend. In theory you could read everything you need to know, but live instruction is better. It is not rocket science, but even an untrained rocket scientist might not think of everything and possibly shoot himself with a dumb behavior he didn't think thru.

Some vicinities have multiple kinds of beginner training courses. In my vicinity years ago when me & wife decided to get guns, we took the handgun carry permit class. Neither of us intended at the time to get a carry license, but wanted to know how to safely handle guns in the home. Later I got the carry license, wife did not. It was a good enough introduction to help avoid dangerous handling.

Because a lot of the handgun carry classes devote a lot of the time discussing legalities of carry, then if your vicinity has some other class which only instructs on safe gun practices and marksmanship, then perhaps some other class would be more useful if you definitely don't intend to carry. That might give more "bang for the buck" in training if the entire class is devoted to gun handling.

I've been looking around for classes, actually, and Coal Creek Armory lists a basic handgun course on their website. Can anyone vouch for its quality/usefulness?

Edited by Hakkonen
Guest HvyMtl

Ok. First things first: Safety. Look up and know the safety rules of firearms. Take a firearm safety course. Always assume its loaded. Never point it at anything you do not want to put a big hole in. It is not a toy and should be respected.

Find others who own the firearm you want, see if they will give you advise on the best brand, model, and ammunition. See if they will let you shoot theirs. See if you like it.

Since you want a "range only" firearm, there is no need for a carry permit. The firearm must be transported to and from the range unarmed, with the ammo and pistol separate. The easiest way to do this is make sure the gun is unloaded. Then place it in a hard case, in the trunk, where it is not accessible to the passengers. Lock the case. Put the ammo in a separate container. And place in trunk or back seat. This way there is zero question as to whether you intended to use the firearm.

I do recommend you get a permit in the future. Self defense is your responsibility.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I purchased my first handgun about a month ago. I got a Hi Point .45 for plinking/range use. (Havent had any malfunctions yet!!)

It was super easy. As was said above, the background check takes about 5-10 minutes. As long as you dont have a criminal record & havent been committed to a mental institution you should have no problems passing.

Can't really add much to what's already been stated and I do agree on the training. At Range USA in Memphis they offer a bunch of different classes. The classes are good and help to build "proper skills" and improve confidence. I had been shooting for years before I took a class and still learned so much - especially what I had been doing wrong for years. So check out the ranges in your area.

you can order a BP pistol and have it sent directly to your home. You can also order a conversion cylinder and have it sent directly to your home.

I am probably wrong but this whole thing smells funny.

You can buy a heck of a modern day revolver for less than what a colt or remington reproduction revolver and conversion cylinder would cost. I am not sure at all why the route stated by you is a good way to begin with firearms.

Guest Hakkonen
you can order a BP pistol and have it sent directly to your home. You can also order a conversion cylinder and have it sent directly to your home.

I am probably wrong but this whole thing smells funny.

You can buy a heck of a modern day revolver for less than what a colt or remington reproduction revolver and conversion cylinder would cost. I am not sure at all why the route stated by you is a good way to begin with firearms.

I'm a little confused. What part "smells funny?" I don't want to perform the conversion myself, chiefly because I have no experience with gunsmithing and it doesn't really strike me as a good area to fiddle around with as an amateur. As to being able to get an excellent modern gun for less money, you're probably right. So what? The gun I'm looking at is item #341360 on Uberti 1860 Army Conversion, 1858 New Army Conversion, 1851 Navy Conversion, and 1871-1872 Open Top, the 1851 Navy in .38 Special with the 7.5" barrel. It comes already cartridge-converted (actually it's probably manufactured cartridge-compatible in the first place and only looks like a black powder revolver that was converted; same diff, as far as I'm concerned). No modification necessary.

If you buy a handgun chambered for anything other than black powder, you will have to have money, be at least 21, and have proof of Tn residency, able to pass background check. Black powder gun, just cash.

I'm a little confused. What part "smells funny?" I don't want to perform the conversion myself, chiefly because I have no experience with gunsmithing and it doesn't really strike me as a good area to fiddle around with as an amateur. As to being able to get an excellent modern gun for less money, you're probably right. So what? The gun I'm looking at is item #341360 on Uberti 1860 Army Conversion, 1858 New Army Conversion, 1851 Navy Conversion, and 1871-1872 Open Top, the 1851 Navy in .38 Special with the 7.5" barrel. It comes already cartridge-converted (actually it's probably manufactured cartridge-compatible in the first place and only looks like a black powder revolver that was converted; same diff, as far as I'm concerned). No modification necessary.

That pistol would have to be bought through a FFL. A background check would be needed.

You can buy a modern day revolver for less than that Uberti reproduction. I would not recommend this gun as a first gun. I can about guarentee that this pistol will have to be special ordered.

As to not recommending it as an introduction in to firearms, it is a very old design. The parts used in the action of the gun while made from modern metals are prone to needing replacement, and inturn prone to needing gunsmithing. They just do not drop into place and work. Also the Uberti most likely needs to be shot with "cowboy" loads which are not as readily available, in other words you can't walk into WalMart and by .38 Special rounds that will work safely over time in that revolver. Modern single action revolvers such as a Ruger BlackHawk or Vaquero are going to last longer and be much more reliable.

Just saying.

The pistol you linked is beautiful and Uberti makes nice guns but they are not in league with Ruger or Smith&Wesson.

As for the whole situation smelling funny I also said I am probably wrong :panic:

Make sure that is the model you want then check around for the best price. Go and buy it.

Nothing is needed to purchase a firearm in Tennessee and as long as you do not have a disqualifing arrest on your record you will be god to go.

Think about any accessories you may want or need to go along with the pistol.

If you follow these rules with a heavy dose of common sense, you will be fine:

NRA Gun Safety Rules

Its PC to have rule #3 but clearly, your carry gun (if you decide to go in that direction one day) cannot sit around unloaded waiting for a thug to show up. The same is true about storing guns so that no one can get to them.... use your own common sense and judgement for your situation if you choose to have loaded weapons around your home or person (and get your permit if you want to have a gun on you).

I think they took this one out, but you should also not hand off a loaded gun to another person (and all guns are always loaded, right?). Put it down on the table facing downrange, let the next shooter pick it up. If it is loaded, the other shooter should be aware of it (though, they should treat it as loaded no matter what so thats just a courtesy thing). In a gun store or show etc, the seller will usually open the gun and demonstrate that it is unloaded before handing it to the customer, this is the proper way to hand one off in the situations where it is appropriate to hand a gun to another person.