Range etiquette???

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

Maybe I'm just use to shooting out in back yards with a bunch of hicks, but are there range etiquette rules that one needs to follow while at a public range? I'll give you an example: today I was talking with a friend and he was told by someone else that head shots were not proper range etiquette. This guy claimed that an HCP instructor informed him of this. I had never heard this, so here I am asking the greater powers.....anyone care to enlighten me us or elaborate on your thoughts?

Guest failuredrill

golly, I sure have been wrong if that is the case.

My wife mainly practices head shots as it allows her somthing to really focus on and her groups are much tighter on head shots.

IMHO the only range rules are treat all weapons as they are loaded, never cover anything you are not willing to destroy, weapons down range, know target know backstop.

I say take head shots....it's your time, your money, your target.

Ummm...... my HCP instructor was quite fond of consistently well placed headshots... and when I shoot at my range I often spend a few magazines on the Mozambique Drill--- 2 center mass, 1 head shot --- no problems at the range where I shoot. I like to see that ragged hole in the paper head.

Head shots stop threats more often than other shots.

But I know Miss Manners runs some public ranges. And I think she is married to the Range Nazi. And they work for OSHA- and they are members of the Politically Correct Society who think that the Second Amendment is about skeet shooting or something ...and...

• Like 1
Guest emsputz

I have never heard of range etiquette like this. The way I see it, you are most likely paying for the range time, and most likely the targets you are using, not to mention the ammo. As far as I'm concerned, you should be able to shoot the target anywhere you choose. If someone does not like where you choose to shoot your target, tell them to go pound sand!

Guest Medic908

I don't know about not being "proper range etiquette", but I don't agree with shooting just head shots while practicing. I would think time and ammunition would be better spent on "center mass" shots.

It's a larger target and there's a greater chance on hitting the torso than the head particularly if the target is moving or you the shooter are on the move.

Some instructors take someone shooting nothing but headshots as a "show off" - a school I went to some time ago involved tactical shooting with a MP-5 (my first time with one... :koolaid:). I had trouble with proper sight alignment and hit the first 12-15 rounds (3 round bursts) in the head and promptly received a "that's enough, Mr. Head Shot..." - admittedly operator error, but they didn't like it just the same.

See that flying out the window?

That was your next invitation to come over and shoot

:koolaid:

LMAO, does that mean there's an opening at the backyard hick range? And +1 to NB.

Guest ETS_Inc

Sounds to me like some guy had too much time on his hands, and wants everyone to do as he says.

I've been shooting for a long time, and I've never heard that range etiquette required you not to shoot head shots. I thought the biggest range etiquette rules were simple:

1) Be Safe.

2) Don't nothing stupid.

3) Don't shoot your .50 right next to others when there are perfectly fine lanes available a few spaces away.

4) If you've got something nifty, neat, cool, or unique, it's polite to let others look at it, fondle it, or even possibly shoot it.

Guest atomemphis
It might not be as much an etiquette issue, but one of the local ranges doesn't allow headshots in order to prevent damage to the target carrier. Maybe it was a range rule at the place you took your class at.

+1. If your range is indoor and uses top-mounted hangers for your targets, it is not uncommon to be asked not to shoot head shots since the erratic shots (hey, not you! the other fools) damages the equipment, such as the hanging device or even the electronic runner that moves the target.

What's as fun as the Mozambique drill? 2 shots to the center of mass, one to the center of the hang-low.

+1. If your range is indoor and uses top-mounted hangers for your targets, it is not uncommon to be asked not to shoot head shots since the erratic shots (hey, not you! the other fools) damages the equipment, such as the hanging device or even the electronic runner that moves the target.

What's as fun as the Mozambique drill? 2 shots to the center of mass, one to the center of the hang-low.

:lol:

I don't know about not being "proper range etiquette", but I don't agree with shooting just head shots while practicing. I would think time and ammunition would be better spent on "center mass" shots.

I don't think he was talking about shooting headshots exclusively. Besides, headshots are fun to practice every now and then. :lol:

Guest Medic908
I don't think he was talking about shooting headshots exclusively. Besides, headshots are fun to practice every now and then. :lol:

Completely agree - entirely possible I misinterpreted.

Guest Boomhower

I am assuming you are correct. Like I said, I'm just passing on a conversational piece that I had today and it got me to thinking.....hmmm.....are there unspoken range etiquette's?

I require head shots on some COFs. I have even required some weak hand head shots. The IDPA classifier has 9 required head shots. Or you can just hang the target upside down.

If some Bg has body armor, shoot for the eyes. Their are many reasons for head shots. It may be the only shot you have, BG behind cover.

Guest price g
If I'm paying for the ammo, targets and range time I will shoot at what ever part of the target I want. If a particular range has a problem with that I will take my business elsewhere. Pollitical correctness disgusts me.

PLUS, join a private club if you can, the front gate stops alot of that BS.

What you shoot at (as long as it's safe), and where you shoot it are not range etiquette issues... those are PC issues.

Range ettiquete issues are things like:

- Setting up your loud-boomer magnum in the lane next to the father and child learning to shoot a .22

- Sweeping the firing-line with the muzzle of the gun you were just firing, after experiencing a jam (or any other time)

- Handling your weapon while the range is cold

- Being inconsiderate of where your brass is landing

etc...