Please Help 1st gun

Guest Damon

Guest Damon

Hi everyone,

I needing to get a gun for an armed security guard class. I do not have a lot of money to spend on it. Can anyone recommend a gun and a place to purchase. I went by Mahonyes (SP) in Johnson City, decent selection but iv read they are pricey. I drove by Crowders and Smythies in Jonesborough today also and both were closed, don't know if they are out of business or what. I don't care if it is used or new, I just need a reasonable price because, i know i need to buy about 150 rounds of ammo and a holster too. Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tri-Cities Gun Depot in Elizabethton. not to be nosey but a price range would help recomendations of what to buy. Also, dont buy into the whole "they are pricey" , shop around and find who is cheapest. I found Mahoneys to have the cheapest price on a Sig P238, and I have looked at every store from Crossville to JC. now dont take that as they are the cheapest either, some guns they are some they are not. give us a price range and we'll throw some ideas your way

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Damon, head over to Tri Cities Gun Depot in Elizabethton. They have a good selection for about any budget, great prices and excellent service. If you leave there without making a purchase you are one of the very few who does :P

Isn't the armed guard license firearm specific?

Form shows that weapon type/model/caliber is recorded.

Just saying, if that's right, it might bear some research into likely employers to make sure what type of handgun might be allowed.

- OS

Guest Damon

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

@LumberJack: My budget for the gun itself would ideally be around 300.00 I have a large family to support so i cant go crazy on it.

@ OhShoot: You are correct that the armed guard license is firearm specific. What you qualify with is what you have to carry. However, the only information that I have found on specific firearms for companies is it needs to be a major manufacturer.

Here is what I know and it aint much... The most common firearm for this career is a Glock Semi Auto 9mm. However, they run around 500.00 from what i have priced. I have been leaning toward a revolver because 1. they seem to be cheaper, and are pretty idiot proof BIG + there. The guy at Mahonies (sp) i talked to was all about the Glock because of the magazine size. So i dunno. The class i want to take is this weekend, so i need to try and find something soon because the next class isnt until July.

Again thanks everyone for the help. I will definitely check out that store in Elizabethton.

I have thought of another odd question. I do not yet have my handgun permit, class is in June, do i have to have the permit 1st in order to take the gun out of the house to the training class???

Edited by Damon
Thought of another question
Guest ArmaDeFuego

If you want the cheapest reliable gun you can get then get a 9mm Hi Point. They are ugly & pretty heavy but they go boom every time you pull the trigger & cost less than $150. Gun snobs dont like 'em, but if you are on a tight budget you gotta get what you can get, & should sacrifice looks & weight over reliability for sure.

At a bare minimum check to see if you can rent a gun for the class. That might give you a little time to find something or save a bit more money.

When I got my armed guard license I was told it was caliber specific but not gun specific. Things may have changed since I got mine. I never worked under that license but maintained for other possible work opportunities out of state. I know I qualified with a Saiga shotgun but only owned a 870. The instructor let me use the Saiga so I know the shotgun was only caliber specific.

At shows there are used Glock LE turn ins that sell for less than $350. They are generally 40 caliber but from time to time you find some 9mm's for that price. Renting a gun will lock you into a caliber but will give you time until the next show to save up some more money to get what you want. Also, you can find S&W Sigma's on sale for $249 at some of the big box retailers.

If you do not have a HCP you need to seperate the weapon and ammunition during transport. Put one in the trunk and the other in the passenger compartment. As long as you do this you should have no issues.

Dolomite

If you want the cheapest reliable gun you can get then get a 9mm Hi Point. They are ugly & pretty heavy but they go boom every time you pull the trigger & cost less than $150. Gun snobs dont like 'em, but if you are on a tight budget you gotta get what you can get, & should sacrifice looks & weight over reliability for sure.
Yup Hi point and they have won some national shoots...and they do go BOOM...every time. The other suggestion is a CZ 52..Police in eastern europe love them.

Since this will be a full sized service gun (I assume you will be uniformed and carry this on a gun belt of some sort?) you might want to consider the Ruger P95. They should retail for close to your $300 target price if you can find one in the blue finish, which is a little cheaper than the stainless. Ruger® P-Series P95™ Centerfire Pistol Models for more details. 15 rounds and relatively light weight for a full-sized gun, which makes a difference when you're carrying it every day for 8 hours.

When I was a policeman and they let us start carrying 9mms in the late 80s/early 90s, that was one of the choices (edit: it was the P85 back in those days, a predecessor model) and I knew a number of officers who carried one. No problems that I can recall.

Since you're on a budget, 9mm is the least expensive service caliber and will save you money over 38spl for practice and for defense ammo.

Edited by JC57
Since this will be a full sized service gun (I assume you will be uniformed and carry this on a gun belt of some sort?) you might want to consider the Ruger P-95. They should retail for close to your $300 target price if you can find one in the blue finish, which is a little cheaper than the stainless. Ruger® P-Series P95™ Centerfire Pistol Models for more details. 15 rounds and relatively light weight for a full-sized gun, which makes a difference when you're carrying it every day for 8 hours.

i have a p95 in the classifieds for 290$

That's your answer right there! Great price for that gun and you save on tax and TICS fees. I note from TN Outlaw's classified post that it comes with the 10-round mags, but that's plenty for practice and qualifying. Later on if you want to buy a 15-round mag for carry you can pick one up for about $30.

Edited by JC57
Guest friesepferd

check out Byrds in jonesborough (corner of 11E and boons creek, above the pizza parlor).

they are some GREAT guys and their priced are good. TONS of new and used guns. Their store is packed. They will also give you some good answers about guns and wont just say "get a glock". they will point you in the direction of what you are looking for.

What you do need to think about before you get a gun is the following:

caliber

size

if you care about round count

what kind of action and what kind of safeties if any

There are plenty of good options in the $300 range (especially used). Dont give in to the high point. Some may say they go bang every time. I know from experience that they dont. I have had more than one fall apart on me actually (ran a range for a while, saw a lot of guns. that was the only one I didnt like to shoot / expected something to go wrong)

if you want me to just go out there and recommend a gun without you giving more specifics as to what you are looking for... then i will recommend a used XD of some kind- depending on the size you want.

Also, if you would like me to meet you there sometime, I would be happy to help you pick one out, and buy ya lunch at the pizza parlor and chat about guns :)

If the $300 ruger is still high, you can shave off a few $ to get a kel tec -- these have a HORRIBLE STRONG trigger that takes good hands to operate, but they are very inexpensive and the 9mm models are quite reliable (at the most you may need to polish up the feed ramp). I had a p-40 (the 40 caliber version of their 9mm series) and it was reliable and accurate if you were man enough for the trigger (I am not).

I strongly recommend the ruger if you can afford it, the earlier models (p85, p89?) can often be had for 200-250 used. Of couse that scales, the used kel tech is cheaper still...

Another inexpensive option is military surplus. A tokarov or cz82 or makarov can be had for around $200, though you will have to buy ammo online or at a gunshow. Makarov ammo is not bad, less than or equal to 9mm, not sure about the toks (and a lot of tok ammo is corrosive).

The cz82 would be an excellent option for downright cheap, high capacity, reliable , etc. Again, nothing at all wrong with that ruger; I have a 85 and its rugged, reliable, and a very well made gun at a very reasonable price.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Damon

thanks everyone for all the help!!! Ill check out the shop in elizabethton and Byrds here in Jonesborough tomorrow probably. iv got to do a little more research on the armed guard licence before i shell out the money. At the very least I'm going to get my carry permit in June, but i don't need a gun for that. The permit class at ETSU is 60.00 everything included, gun ammo etc...

For those that are wondering why i'm doing this. Ill give you the short and quick version. I graduated ETSU in May with a Criminal Justice degree but i am having a hard time finding work in the field with out those awesome "inside connections" or Military Background. I figured an armed guard position would be easier to get and would give me the experience i need to work my way into the police or corrections or probation etc...

Anyway Thanks everyone you all have been great if I end up buying something Ill let you know!

Guest friesepferd

good. and yea, another +1 for a CZ actually. they are a great gun for the money, can be just a bit harder to find used around town.

again, let me know if you would like to meet up sometime and chat about guns and such, as i live in jbro as well.

If the $300 ruger is still high, you can shave off a few $ to get a kel tec -- these have a HORRIBLE STRONG trigger that takes good hands to operate, but they are very inexpensive and the 9mm models are quite reliable (at the most you may need to polish up the feed ramp). I had a p-40 (the 40 caliber version of their 9mm series) and it was reliable and accurate if you were man enough for the trigger (I am not).

I strongly recommend the ruger if you can afford it, the earlier models (p85, p89?) can often be had for 200-250 used. Of couse that scales, the used kel tech is cheaper still...

Another inexpensive option is military surplus. A tokarov or cz82 or makarov can be had for around $200, though you will have to buy ammo online or at a gunshow. Makarov ammo is not bad, less than or equal to 9mm, not sure about the toks (and a lot of tok ammo is corrosive).

The cz82 would be an excellent option for downright cheap, high capacity, reliable , etc. Again, nothing at all wrong with that ruger; I have a 85 and its rugged, reliable, and a very well made gun at a very reasonable price.

If you come across any Keltec's for under $250 please PM me. I would love to find one for a reasonable price used. A PF-9 would be perfect for those times whan I just want to grab a gun and go.

Dolomite

And I bought a Ruger P95 for a little less. The P95 is an AMERICAN made gun... not many manufacturers can say that! Ruger fixed a problem with mine and it was not under warranty (nor was I the original owner). I LOVE the feel of my P95... cant say I'm very accurate with it but that's my problem! lol

Also to check going rates of different firearms and accessories I go to gunbroker.com (its like checking prices on Ebay).

Edited by MarkInNashville
Guest JeremyD901

You can ge a smith and wesson sigma they are a reliable gun and not to heavy, only problem is the trigger pull is awful. My father in law let me use his to get my permit and now I carry a glock 23 which I LOVE but it is out your price range at the moment. However go rent the sigma shoot it and see it's reliable which matters the most.

If you come across any Keltec's for under $250 please PM me. I would love to find one for a reasonable price used. A PF-9 would be perfect for those times whan I just want to grab a gun and go.

Dolomite

I will keep an eye out for ya. Trouble is most of the ones I see are on the KTOG & time you ship it... you know..

Guest coldblackwind

Magiccarpetrides has a S&W sigma, in .40 in the classifieds for $275 (unless it sold). Never owned one, they're cheap, heard good and bad about them, but I'd buy that LONG before I'd get a hi point.

Guest Dukebb23

If you want a nice Compact with the big gun feel you should check out the Ruger SR9C. With the 17 round mag it is almost as long as the P95 but a lot lighter and easier pull IMO. Even added a Crimson Trace Laser Grip to mine yesterday and man it's a dream to shoot now and it doesn't add alot of weight to it.