Please Help 1st gun

Guest Damon

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Magiccarpetrides has a S&W sigma, in .40 in the classifieds for $275 (unless it sold). Never owned one, they're cheap, heard good and bad about them, but I'd buy that LONG before I'd get a hi point.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have you shot a Hi Point?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I actually have owned 2 of their carbines, one of which I still have. However, I have handled their handguns enough to realize that they are pretty low quality, freaking huge for what they are, and not really a very comfortable gun. I'm not at all impressed with them.

Guest friesepferd

I dont know how many times he has shot one, but i have shot a LOT of them, and had a lot of them break.

You might have a good one, and thats fine. I'm sure they don't all fall apart, but personally, I have shot a LOT of guns, and watched people shoot a LOT of guns.

Hi Points are the only one that I will consistantly tell people to stay away from. They are trouble, and I have seen it more times that I have not seen it.

Guest Damon

Sup everyone,

I ended up getting a SW .40 sigma today. I went to a couple of shops and the price was right. I know there is better, but for the money i am pretty pleased. I looked it up on the internet and it has good reviews for the most part, alot of the downsides seems to come when comparing it to a Glock. Am going to try and get to a range in the next day or two and give it a try.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Guest ArmaDeFuego
I dont know how many times he has shot one, but i have shot a LOT of them, and had a lot of them break.

You might have a good one, and thats fine. I'm sure they don't all fall apart, but personally, I have shot a LOT of guns, and watched people shoot a LOT of guns.

Hi Points are the only one that I will consistantly tell people to stay away from. They are trouble, and I have seen it more times that I have not seen it.

Cool thanks for the input. I've heard mostly good things about them online & a few bad things that usually come from people saying "A friend of a friend had a Hi Point 8 years ago & it blew up in his hand." Nice to hear some people with first hand experience with them. I guess they are good for range guns anyways hehehe. At least if it does break you got the lifetime warranty so just ship it back to them & they send it to you good as new. :)

Sorry for the semi-hijack on the thread OP. :)

Guest 556or762

I got a S&W sigma .40 for my first semi auto handgun, took my carry class with it and all. I have argued with several people about the Sigma series but the bottom line is in my humble opinion it is a great starter semi auto, doubly so for the budget conscious. I think new you can get them for under $400 and used around $300 or less. I am big fan of the Springfield XD and have seen several XD service models in 9mm and .40 in the $300 range. My opinion might not count for much but if you can borrow or rent a gun for the class and save a few pennies and buy a better gun that has better ergonomics in a couple weeks I see no point in spending less now. I have a step brother that got a high point 45 for cheap and after he really thought about it if he had waited another 2 weeks he could have bought an XD or Glock just as easily. I guess long story short how much is your life ( or what you are guarding ) worth? I would say get the best deal you can but dont sell yourself short if you can spend $300 now you can probably spend $400 or $500 soon.:)

Sup everyone,

I ended up getting a SW .40 sigma today. I went to a couple of shops and the price was right. I know there is better, but for the money i am pretty pleased. I looked it up on the internet and it has good reviews for the most part, alot of the downsides seems to come when comparing it to a Glock. Am going to try and get to a range in the next day or two and give it a try.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

where did you end up buying from? I think the sigma will serve you well. It didnt even cross my mind really, you dont see to many of them in shops anymore. There were some law enforcement that used them at one time. Let us know what you think

Guest 556or762

Oh yeah and good luck with the Sigma I never had a minutes trouble out of mine and shot the crap out of it so I think you did a lot better than the High Point. I am right there with some of the others in the High Point sucks category I have shot 3 of them and they all either broke or had malfunctions galore. Oh and lets not forget you need tools to take them down and with the Sigma its a cinch. On a side note I used tetra gun grease on my slide for the Sigma it seemed to make it run smoother than the oil on the small tabs the slide runs on.

Guest Damon

I got it at the Tri-cites Gun Depo. You all were right the guys in there were very nice and helpful. No pressure sales. It cost 299.99 which was about 10 or 20 cheaper than Byrds in Jonesborough for the same gun.

Guest Damon

Anyone know of any good ranges around Jonesborough. The Grey Kennels website says theirs is closed for maintaince, even though ill will be qualifying there Saturday. i know there is an indoor one in Piney Flats too. And do you need to bring your own targets? Im going to try and go Thursday. I looked on the TWRA sight and the closest one of those is in Hampton (Jacobs Creek) thats about an hours drive to far.

Guest friesepferd
Anyone know of any good ranges around Jonesborough. The Grey Kennels website says theirs is closed for maintaince, even though ill will be qualifying there Saturday. i know there is an indoor one in Piney Flats too. And do you need to bring your own targets? Im going to try and go Thursday. I looked on the TWRA sight and the closest one of those is in Hampton (Jacobs Creek) thats about an hours drive to far.

If you want to go indoors, and not very often, then Shooters Edge - the one in Piney Flats- is the way to go.

They will provide you a few large targets, but I always tend to bring a few of the stick on shoot n see kinda targets to put on them to make them last longer.

Shooters edge is a very nice range and the guys are good.

If you are looking for a long term range in the area, take a look at Tac2 . Thats were I go. Only $100 a year, you can go whenever you want, theres a lot of different bays to shoot in all with different stuff, and there are good compititions on saturdays if you ever want to get into that.

Guest gunrunner1979

if you have not bought yet check out the springfield xd's they are cheaper than glocks and glock makes a great gun but they don't fit my hands so i tried the xd's and now i have 4 of them

if you have not bought yet check out the springfield xd's they are cheaper than glocks and glock makes a great gun but they don't fit my hands so i tried the xd's and now i have 4 of them

Please try to keep up by at least skimming a thread, especially in this case posts by the originator. Thanks in advance, and welcome to TGO. :)

- OS

Guest 556or762

Gunrunner 1979 I am right there with you on the XD's I had 3 but I let the .45 go so I am down to the 9 and 40 but they fit me very well and I am looking into another one in the near future. I find it hard to believe how many people discount the way a gun fits the owners hand and biomechanics and just throw the Glock out there as the best gun ever. I do think it is an excellent weapon but lets just face facts every gun doesnt fit everyone I say try several and buy what works for the shooter you will be a lot happier with your purchase if you arent trying to correct for something that just doesnt fit well.

First for Armed Guard I strongly recommend a 9mm because of its wide acceptance by most all guard companys. A 38spl 4" revolver would be a great choice to.

I would stay clear of the Hi Point being due to to the fact you may never find a good belt holster for it. You stand a good of a chance being shot with your own weapon as any other. Don't make it any easier for them, I would be more concearned with my holster retention than the firearm brand/size.

I would prefer the Glock for many reasons but a lot of companys say it has to have an external mechanical safety and the trigger safety doesn't count. Sometimes a used XD can be found cheap but still not a mechanical safety.

A lot of guys carry the P95 Rugers, but I would look for a $350 Beretta 92 or a $300 Smith and wesson 5906 or similar model. Sigmas are cheap and I have seen lots of firing pins break on them anywhere from 20 rounds - never so you never know.

Stay clear of 1911's they are very frowned upon in the Armed Guard industry.

These are not my opinions but what are the facts.

Edited by Patton

I have thought of another odd question. I do not yet have my handgun permit, class is in June, do i have to have the permit 1st in order to take the gun out of the house to the training class???

No but you can't carry it loaded, nor the magazine loaded

Guest TN.Frank

A S&W Model 10 K Frame Revolver would work as well as anything for Armed Security. You're not going to be getting into running gun fights and hosing down a dozen bad guys so you could get by without a hi cap semi-auto. I carried a S&W Model 13, 4" bbl, 357Mag as a Wells Fargo Armored Car worker with +P 38spl ammo and felt perfectly armed. Don't discount a good revolver, they're reliable, can be reloaded fairly fast with speed loaders and go "bang" every time. Ruger Security Six or GP100 would also be a good choice for Armed Security.