Anyone heard of these guys?

mav

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This company has come into existence over the past 6-12 months. Tony Bellione (spelling on last name?) is the co-founder. He owns Armadillo Arms in Franklin. I use to buy guns and stuff from him all the time. Because of this new business, he's not around much anymore.

Guest 10mm4me

I'm sure they suck. You know why people slop a bucket of paint on a canvas and roll around in it then slap a $50,000 price tag on it? Because some jackass with $50,000 wants to tell his friends he bought a $50,000 painting. Same here. The 1911 has had a resergence in popularity and these guys are cashing in. JMO, but I gotta go with my first instinct here.

Guest Grout

Cast slides?,c'mon now even the new $600 Ruger has a forged slide.Also for the $1600-$1700 dollors guns you would think they could at least checker the frontstrap.

Cast slides?,c'mon now even the new $600 Ruger has a forged slide.Also for the $1600-$1700 dollors guns you would think they could at least checker the frontstrap.

Agreed, I think in all honesty I would get a Ruger SR1911 instead

Guest 10mm4me
Wow; that's never happened with a product before... maybe they're on to a whole new marketing technique. :)

Did I say there was anything wrong with that or that it was a new idea. I was giving a reason for them charging $1,800 for a cast gun.

Did I say there was anything wrong with that or that it was a new idea. I was giving a reason for them charging $1,800 for a cast gun.

I'm not sure, really. I guess not; but that's what I interpreted from:

I'm sure they suck. You know why people slop a bucket of paint on a canvas and roll around in it then slap a $50,000 price tag on it? Because some jackass with $50,000 wants to tell his friends he bought a $50,000 painting. Same here.
Guest Hakkonen

Just thought I'd point out that at least one of their models doesn't have a cast slide. The "Caesar" has a slide made of Damascus steel, which you can't get from casting.

The people who will buy these are the people who will also buy that case to go along with it. An art piece is really what they are selling. I do think they are some pretty guns, and that alone has the potential to sell these guns at that price. However, I agree with the above; I, myself, would rather just buy a Ruger.

Cast metal parts are not necessarily inferior to forged parts. In fact, if casting is done correctly, the metal can be more easily manipulated to get the micro-crystalline structure you want. As a fellow who has done some forging of knife blades, I can assure you that not properly handling the steel will quickly render it useless. The key in each of these processes is that the steel is of high-quality suited to the end use of the part and that it is properly heated, cooled, and finished. I also know that some high-tech steels that are out there now can't be forged without destroying the structure of the metal. There is a big difference between casting of pot metal and casting of high-quality steel. Many vehicle wheels are cast as are car parts. Somehow our cars don't crumble and we pay good money for them. In fact, casting of parts, in many cases, has been shown to be a superior method for producing high-strength parts and parts that would be far too expensive or difficult to machine from forged blanks.

I also suspect that the majority of the money here is in the smithing work. Just look at all the work they are putting into it. Custom fit high-end parts, polishing, melting of parts, etc. It's no different than buying a Kimber or Springer off the shelf and putting a bunch of custom work into it. I know folks that are easily toting around $2000 1911s for all of the custom parts, refinishing, and smithing work put into them.

Interesting to see how the claws have come out when some local folks are trying to put out a new and better product in a world where everything is being made overseas. Did you ever stop to wonder why your guns are so inexpensive (comparatively speaking)? It ain't because they are being generous. They are mass producing firearms using every bit of opportunity they can to cut costs, which is why most 1911 pistols find their way onto a workbench at some point for custom work and tweaking. I am a custom leather maker and it's maddening how people expect the quality of hand-crafted goods, but want to pay China import prices for them. The two aren't compatible in most cases. These guys are looking to fill a niche and I wish them the best of luck at it.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
tony is a pretty good guy a retired cop from l a i think .i dont know anything about his guns but a know he is a stand up guy

I concur.

He still runs Armadillo Arms. Once the guns are distributed (in 42 states), Armadillo Arms will be a retailer, of course. The production plant is in Alabama. It got wiped out by a tornado and will be 90 days for the rebuild process.

If you guys want to buy that Ruger, call him. He'll order and sell to you at cost plus 10%. Very competitive with internet sales, even with tax.

P.S. No, I do not work for him. Just a long time customer.

Cast metal parts are not necessarily inferior to forged parts. In fact, if casting is done correctly, the metal can be more easily manipulated to get the micro-crystalline structure you want. As a fellow who has done some forging of knife blades, I can assure you that not properly handling the steel will quickly render it useless. The key in each of these processes is that the steel is of high-quality suited to the end use of the part and that it is properly heated, cooled, and finished. I also suspect that the majority of the money here is in the smithing work. Just look at all the work they are putting into it. It's no different than buying a Kimber off the shelf and putting a bunch of custom work into it. I know folks that are easily toting around $2000 Kimbers for all of the custom parts, refinishing, and smithing work put into them.

Interesting to see how the claws have come out when some local folks are trying to put out a new and better product in a world where everything is being made overseas. Did you ever stop to wonder why your guns are so inexpensive (comparatively speaking)? It ain't because they are being generous. They are mass producing firearms using every bit of opportunity they can to cut costs, which is why most 1911 pistols find their way onto a workbench at some point for custom work and tweaking. I am a custom leather maker and it's maddening how people expect the quality of hand-crafted goods, but want to pay China import prices for them. The two aren't compatible in most cases. These guys are looking to fill a niche and I wish them the best of luck at it.

Well said. :)

For that kind of money I could buy 3 XD's and be 5 times better off.

I will say I think it's pretty cool they're working here in TN. I wouldn't buy a Barrett product either, but they're still a point of pride for the state.

For that kind of money I could buy 3 XD's and be 5 times better off.

I will say I think it's pretty cool they're working here in TN. I wouldn't buy a Barrett product either, but they're still a point of pride for the state.

You could really make that analogy about many things gun related or not. Howeverif we stick to guns quality costs. Some people buy Rock Island 1911's and are happy, some are willing to spend the money for Wilson or Ed Brown. Others are willing to spend even more for a Vicker's or 10-8 Yam or Rogers 1911. These can easily cost $8-10k. For some those are absolutely worth the money.

It all depends on how good the work really is and what you need it for. I am willing to spend money for something that is well built enough to withstand intense rigors if needed. I own and have owned O/U shotguns who cost I could buy 4 of for the price of my fitted Beretta O/U. But none of them would last more than a couple of seasons. Now I could also buy 2 of my Beretta shotguns for the price of a Perazzi or Krieghoff. I am not willing to do that. If I was only a clays shooter and put another 10k rounds through one a year, or 25-30k, I might would.

It isn't always about how many you could have of something almost as good if what you need or really want is just one of this particular quality. I could have bought 3 pairs of hunting boots for what I paid for my Kenetrek mountain boots. But, I only need the one pair of Kenetreks that I know will survive the elements they are going to be put through.

That all said, I do know Tony, but have never seen this product and cannot make any reference to its worth, value or quality. I can say though that I would buy a Vicker's 1911 if I could afford one and if my particular purpose or need was something that called for that level of quality.

Everything is about need, want and priorities. I really don't blink at what people are willing to spend for guns they really don't have to have, or could have had nearly the same quality for thousands less. I go to auctions all over the country and see people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on guns that cost nearly, or more at times, what my house did.

Yeah, Warbird you are right. Admittedly I am I bigot as I despise the 1911, and I always look down my nose on the pricey things. I have a hard time keeping useless comments to myself sometimes. BUt hey, that's what interbebz forums is for.:eek:

For me the only issues with them that I see is I hate the looks of them, do not like the parts that they use IE Storm lake barrels, sights, for the money they want I can buy a not so flashy Les Baer with what I consider superior parts however I think it is awesome that a local company is making them and if they appeal to any of you go for it by all means