need help finding good 9mm

thanks for your help yes i sold the p95.... im new to pistols so the problem with the trigger pull was that it was causing me to pull the gun therefor it caused me to shoot inaccurate and inconsistent

Well, all I can say in that case is to give a SA gun a good chance before you spend any money. Every store will have a 1911 .45 that you can at least feel of to see what I am talking about, then you can seek out a 9mm SA if you like the style and feel. There is a reason that most pistol shooters who are going for accuracy use a SA, and have $1000 worth of trigger work done... its the reason you stated, bad triggers pull everyone off target (this is not just you).

If you prefer the DA guns, you just have to get used to nasty triggers. I think its done on purpose, for "safety", but all of them are pretty bad out of the box (again, compared to a DA revolver that is thumb-cocked then fired).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the idea of the 9mm in the 1911 format as well idk anything about one tho

RIA makes one, if you want a budget model. The feg I mentioned is probably SA (I really am not sure, its uncommon, possibly collectable, and you should ask seller). Taurus makes one in your price range. You might find a used big brand in your price range as well -- springfield has one I think, and maybe kimber? Given your situation, its another case of take what people have to sell/trade since you cannot just go order what you want... RIA has a great reputation on their .45s, but no one talks about the 9s, most likely its the exact same design and every bit as good.

RIA makes one, if you want a budget model. The feg I mentioned is probably SA (I really am not sure, its uncommon, possibly collectable, and you should ask seller). Taurus makes one in your price range. You might find a used big brand in your price range as well -- springfield has one I think, and maybe kimber? Given your situation, its another case of take what people have to sell/trade since you cannot just go order what you want... RIA has a great reputation on their .45s, but no one talks about the 9s, most likely its the exact same design and every bit as good.

i appreciate your help!!!

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm ignorant of Glocks. Recently bought a used Gen 3 G17 and the trigger seems excellent to me. The fella I got it from is a Glock fan. Maybe he did some work on the trigger. He didn't mention any custom work. Maybe it is a stock trigger. Last time I tried a Glock some years back I didn't like the trigger and could not shoot it very accurately, but this Gen 3 G17 shoots about as accurate as I shoot any of em. Which is not especially accurate, though I manage to mostly always hit SOMEWHERE on the paper.

When young guys at the range ask about a pistol I have with me and I let em shoot it, they generally seem most enthusiastic about the Beretta 92FS, the CZ 85C, and the old S&W 586 .357 revolver. They seem to get enthusiastic about the 92FS and CZ because being young they tend to shoot em a lot more accurately than I ever can, with no practice. They seem to like the revolver at least partially because it is real loud, has a big fireball, and has an almost-dangerous hair trigger in single action mode (which apparently it had straight from the factory).

There is a gun show in Knoxville June 11-12 where most of these guns will be on display for your fondling enjoyment. You won't be able to get a feel for the trigger as they will all have those twist ties goofing them up but you can get a sense of what's out there. The exception would be CZ's as you never see to many of those at shows, but there is usally one or two.

im just confused like i said im new to pistols i would prefer a double action i just dont know what gun fits what im looking for which is a good 9mm with a decent trigger pull will fit my baseball mit sized hand and is reliable

If these are your qualifications, then the Sig P250 will meet your requirement quite nicely. I, personally, prefer DA/SA so if I were looking today for a plastic pistol I'd look at the Sig Pro 2022. I have two XDs, have had multiple Glocks and I think the 2022 is the best plastic pistol I've ever shot, hands down.

Your results may differ.

I'm ignorant of Glocks. Recently bought a used Gen 3 G17 and the trigger seems excellent to me. The fella I got it from is a Glock fan. Maybe he did some work on the trigger. He didn't mention any custom work. Maybe it is a stock trigger. Last time I tried a Glock some years back I didn't like the trigger and could not shoot it very accurately, but this Gen 3 G17 shoots about as accurate as I shoot any of em. Which is not especially accurate, though I manage to mostly always hit SOMEWHERE on the paper.

When young guys at the range ask about a pistol I have with me and I let em shoot it, they generally seem most enthusiastic about the Beretta 92FS, the CZ 85C, and the old S&W 586 .357 revolver. They seem to get enthusiastic about the 92FS and CZ because being young they tend to shoot em a lot more accurately than I ever can, with no practice. They seem to like the revolver at least partially because it is real loud, has a big fireball, and has an almost-dangerous hair trigger in single action mode (which apparently it had straight from the factory).

The secret to shooting the Glock well is taking advantage of the very positive reset. Get used to letting the trigger come forward, after the first shot, only to the point where you feel it reset. Then squeeze again. After a bit of time you will be able to do this without even thinking about it. I have a co-worker who owns a Glock and has for several years. He is however, mainly a shotgun and rifle shooter. His accuracy with the Glock was only mediocre. I noticed he let the trigger come all the way forward after each shot and I taught him how to utilize the trigger reset feel. After about an hour his accuracy and speed was vastly improved.

The reset was one of the reasons why I switched to the Glock to begin with. I hated the mushy crap feel of the XD, and the original M&P's were as bad. Speaking about striker fire guns here of course. Even though I am a fan of H&K, the only reset I ever liked was on my P7. All of the rest of their are crappy IMO and a couple of the variants are horrendous. Well I will say although long, the reset of the light LEM isn't quite as bad and the HK45 and 45C are not too awful. They are But those were not out when I switched to Glock a number of years ago. And I didn't want a DA/SA gun for carry anymore, which is why I got away from the Sig 228 to begin with.

Edited by Warbird
If these are your qualifications, then the Sig P250 will meet your requirement quite nicely. I, personally, prefer DA/SA so if I were looking today for a plastic pistol I'd look at the Sig Pro 2022. I have two XDs, have had multiple Glocks and I think the 2022 is the best plastic pistol I've ever shot, hands down.

Your results may differ.

I think the 250 has the worst trigger of polymer wonders. The reset on it is just ridiculously long.

I like Glock as well. If you don't like the trigger, it can be easily and cheaply remedied. I just bought a G26 and the trigger was ok. I put in a Wolff Competition Pak (around $9.00 minus shipping) and the trigger is much better. That is one of the advantages of Glocks; there are a ton of aftermarket parts available.

Just got back from the range and happened to shoot both my SR9c and G19. They are both great. The Ruger, at least for me, has a great trigger--not enough o's in smooooooth to describe. To each his own, but hope you get to try out several before you plunk down the coin.

I think the 250 has the worst trigger of polymer wonders. The reset on it is just ridiculously long.

It does take some getting used to, especially for me as I prefer the DA/SA trigger personally. I can, though, shot the 250 well after a bit of warm up.

All the good 9mm "plastic" guns are about the same in terms of functionality and reliability, yet each has some unique points that make them desireable for that or those points: Ruger SR9C, Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD , then I would look at the Rock Island 9mm for a truly fun gun and then go take a look at the higher end Sigs and maybe a Beretta 92 in some form. There are some others that sell in lower numbers which are worthwhile also, but you should be able to find those on the used market at pretty good prices from time to time like CZ, Baby Eagle, EAA/Tanfoglio, other Beretta's, Taurus and Bersa. If I didn't already have nine 9mm pistols I would think seriously abut the Ruger SR9C.

So far in 9MM, I've had/have Beretta 92's, Beretta Cougar, Sig P6/225, CZ SP01, Glock 26, Glock 34, M&P 9Pro, XD9Tactical, Kahr CW9, and a Colt Defender. If you have a larger hand, and don't mind it's bulk for carry, I highly recommend the Beretta 92. Out of the box, the DA trigger pull is a bit long and heavy, but after about 200 rounds, it smooths out quite a bit. The trigger is also fairly tunable without a major ordeal.

Mac

The 9mm's I own:

Sig P229

Springfield XDM

CZ 75B

Kahr PM9

Keltec PF9

Until 2 weeks ago, HK P2000 SK.

I really like all these guns.

The one gun I could never do without and will always own. My best shooter ...

CZ 75B - bought it for $500, brand new.

Edited by cyh1830

I have been wondering about the cz rami, it looks really cool. Plus it has a bonus of being able to switch between a sa and a da mode. I would lean towards the metal frame, but it is also available in polymer. The added weight doesn't mean much to me...

Guest bkelm18
I have been wondering about the cz rami, it looks really cool. Plus it has a bonus of being able to switch between a sa and a da mode. I would lean towards the metal frame, but it is also available in polymer. The added weight doesn't mean much to me...

The RAMI is considered by many to be one of the top carry pistols around. Pretty much anything made by CZ is going to be top notch.