Professional Gunsmith review of Ruger SR1911

willis68

Joe Chambers is a very respected Professional Gun Smith, I copied his review of the Ruger SR1911 from GlockTalk's 1911 section it is pasted below:

Professional Gunsmith Review of SR1911

Well, it finally dried out enough to go to the range today. Just so happens that a friend of mine wanted to go also. He has never shot a 1911 before in his life. So I thought, well, this will be good. Let someone who is totally a novice at the 1911 have a spin at a gun to see if THEY can get it to malfunction by limp wristing, jerking, or whatever...the results were astonishing...

First off I'm going to list the bullets and or loads that were shot out of this gun. This is not necessarily the order as at times we were shooting whatever our hands could get hold of to put into the mags. I will say that the pricey self defense stuff was shot by me in an order and manner in which I have experienced it would most likely cause malfunctions. I will also mention that the SR1911 I purchased came with one seven and one eight round mag.

- 230g ball Armscorp factory load (1999ish)

- 200g Cast LSWC 5.8g Unique

- 185g Star swagged LHPWC 3.8g CLAYS

- 200 Sierra FP 6.0 W231

- 185g Zero JHP 4.1 Clays

- 185g Nosler JHP Atlanta Arms Load

- 230g Sierra HP CorBon Factory Load

- 185g Starfire HP Factory Load

- 185g (?) Winchester Silvertip HP Factory Load

- 185g Cast LSWC TZZ (old milsurp load with short button nose bullet)

- 200g Speer Gold Dot Factory Load

In all, 225 rounds were fired in about 30 minutes. In total there were 11 different loads with 10 different bullet types tried. There was not one, and I mean not even a single solitary malfunction. Not when I put it in the hands of the newbie, not when I shot the softest wad loads I use (the 185g Star LSHP 3.8 CLAYS), not when I shot it sideways, upside down, soft handed or off the bench...it just ran and ran and ran.

Now, that being said, I will be the first to admit that 225 rounds is not that many. However, putting 11 different types of ammo through it of all different nose types and o.a.l.'s is something that I have seen many other stock production, semi-custom and even custom guns choke on while trying to handle. Honestly, I was shocked...and impressed...and for those of you that really know me, you know that is pretty hard to do.

This is not to say that the potential issues I listed in the initial review are not relevant. The slide stop nose and mag catch nose are still bumping which does affect accuracy. The extractor is still mis-fit, in my opinion, as is the ejector. The slide to frame is still loose side to side and etc. What it is to say is that this gun, out of the box, functioned with 225 rounds of 11 different loads and that is a good thing.

Ejection: It was consistent with ball...6-7 feet at 5:00 from the shooter. With the self defense loads it was rather wild and all over which indicates a need, in my opinion, to tune the ejector and extractor a bit. With the soft loads it just dribbled them out of the gun and onto my feet, which is pretty normal when a gun sprung as this one was actually functions with them.

The trigger: Ah, the trigger, yes, that funny little thing that can change on a whim if you are not careful. It went from being a VERY crisp 4lbs 14oz with a slight tick from time to time at the beginning to being a looong roll of just over 4lbs by the time we were done. This is the way I would expect a trigger with .026" hammer hooks and little to no relief on the sear to feel. It actually doesn't feel bad, but it is long! And this is pretty much what I expected to happen when I shot it as I knew that the fire control parts would mate together over time.

Accuracy, well, ya. I shot it off the bench at 25 yards with both my accuracy hand loads of 185g Zero HP 4.1 CLAYS (a load that has consistently given me 10 shot groups of less than 1.5" at 50 yards out of custom built and re-built guns) and with a test load that I got from Atlanta Arms that has tested sub 1.300" 10 shot groups at 50 yards in many guns. Both targets were ten shots in wind that was about 20-25mph from left to right. The sights on this pistol need to be adjusted a bit but the groups off the rest were around 4-5". Considering the wind, as it was blowing the target and me pretty wildly, I don't think this is terribly bad and is certainly not out of line with what I have seen from other stock production guns. Although, I think that with better conditions it could shoot better. I did have one 5 shot group during a lull that went into 2.5" with the AA ammo.

Overall, I was and am impressed with this gun out of the box. I'm not going to bother shooting it another couple of hundred rounds to see if it will fail. Instead I'm going to modify the things that I feel need to be fixed and sell it as my work with this particular piece is done for now. I hope it was as educational for you as the reader as it was for me as the smith. I personally would have no hesitation in purchasing one of these Ruger SR1911's at this time to shoot, enjoy and maybe even fix up for an everyday carry around gun if I was looking for something on a budget or just wanted something that was less expensive for outdoor use. It is, in my opinion at this time, an excellent value for the money.

Thank you for reading, leaving your comments and feedback and supporting all of us smiths in what we do for a living.

Respectfully,

Joe Chambers

Chambers Custom 1911 Pistols

Chambers Custom Pistols | Facebook

"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"

American Pistolsmiths Guild Member

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

I'm sorry, I do not mean to be cynical, but putting 225 rounds through a gun and implying it is reliable is like driving a new car down the driveway and saying it is reliable and runs great. A good test of reliability is the 2,000 rd challenge. 2,000 rds fired through one gun and the gun cannot be cleaned in any way shape or form throughout the test. If it completes this, then it is reliable.

Does that include 2,000 rounds of every brand of ammo? :rolleyes:

Exactly, I have a 2.7K 1911 that will not run some of the ammo that Ruger did in his test feeding all these types of ammunition proves more reliability than firing several thousand rounds of ball ammo

Guest 10mm4me
Does that include 2,000 rounds of every brand of ammo? :rolleyes:

As is usual on this forum, someone makes a legitimate comment about a post and goes against the obvious grain and bias and the smartasses reveal themselves. I'm not trying to argue with anyone I am posting what I know. Ask any legitimate firearms instructor if 200 rds of ammo through a gun proves it is reliable. It doesn't. The 2,000 rd test isn't just for feeding ammo. It also measures a guns robustness in terms of parts endurance and the ability of all it's parts to function properly. To the OP, I'm sorry you spent $3,000 on a 1911 that doesn't work, the Springfield right? Bottom line is, if a gun is having continuous stoppages, malfunctions, and part breakages, perhaps a new platform should be sought out. There is a reason the 1911 is not a major agency platform anymore. There are agencies that use them, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but in general, there are far more reliable platforms out there that don't require half the tinkering. Read this, I think it will help you all understand what I am saying.

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » 1911 Cult: Cracks in the Armor

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » No One Cares

As is usual on this forum, someone makes a legitimate comment about a post and goes against the obvious grain and bias and the smartasses reveal themselves. I'm not trying to argue with anyone I am posting what I know. Ask any legitimate firearms instructor if 200 rds of ammo through a gun proves it is reliable. It doesn't. The 2,000 rd test isn't just for feeding ammo. It also measures a guns robustness in terms of parts endurance and the ability of all it's parts to function properly. To the OP, I'm sorry you spent $3,000 on a 1911 that doesn't work, the Springfield right? Bottom line is, if a gun is having continuous stoppages, malfunctions, and part breakages, perhaps a new platform should be sought out. There is a reason the 1911 is not a major agency platform anymore. There are agencies that use them, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but in general, there are far more reliable platforms out there that don't require half the tinkering. Read this, I think it will help you all understand what I am saying.

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » 1911 Cult: Cracks in the Armor

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » No One Cares

I never said the pistol did not work, it is a Nighthawk Custom by the way I said it would not feed certain ammo that the Ruger did namely Winchester Silver tip I still have the pistol and it feeds 230 grain Remington Golden Saber like a champ so that is what it eats personally I shoot a minimum of 500 rounds through any pistol before I carry it. I am not sure how much 1911 experience that you have but I myself have a bit and when a $700.00 1911 feeds the ammo that was ran through it by that smith without a malfunction that says a great deal about it

I am a fan of 1911 pistols and one that is made in America and sells for what this one does that gets a review like this one did is worth folks considering that is all :rolleyes:

As is usual on this forum, someone makes a legitimate comment about a post and goes against the obvious grain and bias and the smartasses reveal themselves.

Well - to his defense. If it was gonna stop that is when it would have done it.

Here is a new flash...Police moved away from the platform because it is heavy and expensive. Not because some idiot on the internet says they are unreliable. And I am sure that there are more reliable platforms...glock is doing well right now with all their latest offerings and more than 50% of the police market :-)

Guest 10mm4me

I am just going to observe from here on out and not comment because apparently people on here can't accept fact without getting their feelings hurt. I am just shocked though that so far, evryone who has posted on here thinks that 200 rounds through a gun proves it reliable. WOW!!!! Also, if you think Todd Green is just some idiot on the internet you have no business commenting on firearms ever.

Joe is pretty well known for building some of the best bullseye guns on the planet. He is very skilled and I imagine with a micrometer and a set of calipers he can tell you if the gun is built right. So, if everything measures right, and he has put a couple hundred trouble free rounds through it, odds are it's good to go. That being said, if you're not a Joe Chambers, I think it is a good rule of thumb to put at least 500 rounds of what you carry through the gun before you put it on your hip.

So, I do believe that this particular ruger is as Joe says........................but all SR1911????? NO WAY!!!! But it should give you confidence to try one.

Edited by timcalhoun

In general I like Ruger products and am very interested in having one of their 1911s in my hands. I'm more interested in seeing their parts production, fit and finish. If it is spec'd a 1911 it should work work well enough as do most full-sized all steel service pistols of this design.

Would I carry one? Not any more than I would carry or have carried the 10 or so 1911s I have had over the years - which means not at all. Like several of the older cars I have had over the years I think 1911s are fun to fool with and then run on the weekend.

I am just going to observe from here on out and not comment because apparently people on here can't accept fact without getting their feelings hurt. I am just shocked though that so far, evryone who has posted on here thinks that 200 rounds through a gun proves it reliable. WOW!!!! Also, if you think Todd Green is just some idiot on the internet you have no business commenting on firearms ever.

From what I read there it appears he stated pretty clearly he was impressed from a spec and initial firing experience. Most builders of 1911's know the specs of a gun that will run and can tell you from those measurements what it will and won't likely do. Most of those builders will shoot those weapons 200-300 rounds with different loads, in a short period of time to come to an initial conclusion that the pistol is on the right path or isn't. Then it is up to the owner of said weapon to put it through its paces. It seems he followed the same course.

He also said exactly where he thought the weaknesses were or were likely going to be, ie. the extractor and ejector were needing adjustment. Now some would claim his review shows the gun is good to go for carry. I think most people took this for what it was, an initial review. I for one, having shot a ton of 1911's including new ones, was impressed with that initial performance. Will I likely go out and buy one, no. I have a 1911 that has been put through its paces enough to prove it's carry worthy. I still don't carry a 1911 often. Many will buy one for fun and range shooting and never carry it. Personally I don't buy guns I don't use often. But, that isn't the case for everyone.

Again, I don't think anyone said this was a torture test, it was simply an initial review of a new gun.

I do understand your point. I am not necessarily impressed with any gun that is shot a few hundred times or even 2k rounds if it done over a long period of time. Most especially combat style weapons. This is often a very real issue on gun forums when people will say their gun is good to go or no problems here, in response to someone saying they are not durable. I find it especially true of pistols and AR or AK rifles. For carry and or long term durability I do not trust them as a general manufacturer or brand until they have proven to run hot, dirty, cooled, run again and run for several thousand rounds including high round counts in short order. This does not speak to their reliability as much as their durability. All of them break, but some makes break often. It becomes pretty apparent fairly quickly.

It depends on the mission the firearm was deigned to fulfill. I have on numerous occasions put several of my Glocks through 1000-1500 or more rounds over the course of a 2-3 day period, including several periods of numerous mags emptied back to back sustained firing. They have all held up well. Naturally they are all mechanical devices and every shot fired is one shot closer to breaking. You can get a general idea of a guns basic reliability with a few hundred rounds. Durability is something else entirely. The 1911 design has proven itself reliable and durable. These factors form individual manuf. can vary wildly depending on the materials used and proper fitting.

I think the best you can do on a 1911 is get a base idea and run it though its paces to see as time goes. It is without question a hobbyists gun. As Vicker's says, "If you treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, buy a Glock". The 1911 will have to be tuned as time goes along. It simply is a hands on gun. And in today's world of expectations being for 1911's being tight as all get out as expected quality, they require more tuning than ever.

Edited by Warbird
Most builders of 1911's know the specs of a gun that will run and can tell you from those measurements what it will and won't likely do. Most of those builders will shoot those weapons 200-300 rounds with different loads, in a short period of time to come to an initial conclusion that the pistol is on the right path or isn't.

Yep, and a lot of the specs do not come from the original prints or the Kuhnhausen books, and are even caliber specific.

Also, if you think Todd Green is just some idiot on the internet you have no business commenting on firearms ever.

I wasn't referring to him....

I am just going to observe from here on out and not comment

That might not be a bad idea.

Nobody's feelings are hurt and nobody believed that this was an all inclusive test. But thanks for pointing out that 250 rounds isn't the ultimate test of a true SD firearm...Not sure that anyone here would have thought of that.

Edited by I_Like_Pie
Guest spoolie

I think almost any 1911 gun will run out the box with no problems. I ran just under 6000 rounds through a philli weapon with no problems really. My Ruger has about 2000 rounds now and has performed 100%...not a problem one. Every brass thrown out...every lead thrown forward, and with accuracy.

I also like the 1911s and have a couple. However, they are expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, and too big and heavy to carry, at least for me. I do appreciate, though, the comments and opinions on reliability.

I also like the 1911s and have a couple. However, they are expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, and too big and heavy to carry, at least for me. I do appreciate, though, the comments and opinions on reliability.

well said.