New from Cookeville Area

Guest Burgan

Guest Burgan

My name is Burgan (its a last name, but I'll work with that for right now). I am originally from South Carolina. But I moved to Tennessee from North Carolina back in 2007. It'll be 4 years since I moved September this year. Right now I'm in the Cookeville/Baxter area.

I am an outdoor guy, but I do not hunt right now. Maybe if I get the hunter's safety out of the way, then I'll pick it up. I mostly work on cars/trucks as a hobby, but I haven't done much to my current truck since last year. So I'm getting into handguns.

Currently, I do not own a gun, but I have trained on a few. I have tactical/military training on the M4, M16 and Beretta M9. Although, I am not current/past service, I used to be ROTC though. Also, I am not a fan of the AR platform or the .223.

I am currently in the market for a handgun and I may buy a rifle closer to hunting season (not sure on the rifle purchase yet). Right now I'm thinking since I'm close to Outdoor Junction, I'll go there rent a few guns and shoot them to help me decide but from research and talking to actual owners, I have two I am definitely looking at. They are the S&W M&P (9mm or .40) or Springfield Armory XDm (9mm or .40). I do not like Glocks. I am Lefty so I tended to lean more towards lefty friendly guns. Also, for a rifle I don't like the AR, but I do like the AK, so the Russian 7.62x39mm round is a favorite.

I am also thinking of picking up reloading my own ammo as a hobby, since I like stuff like that. I almost went to a Gunsmithing School in PA. But I was working a Cummins Filtration (Fleetguard) at the time and then I got accepted at TN Tech for Mechanical Engineering so thats what I do now.

I hoping I can get help with getting into reloading and other things down the road.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tenn

Welcome! I'm in Cookeville area as well and teach firearms classes for Suarez Int'l in Cookeville. We have a 1 day AK class August 20th.

I would recommend a second look at the Glock. I shoot left and right handed and have never had an issue with Glocks due to their simplicity. However, M and P's and XD's are definitely good to go as well.

Outdoor Junction is OK on gun prices depending on what you get. Gunny's in Livingston is my go to place, especially if you order on line and have it transfered to his FFL. Also check gunownerclub.com. There are good to deals on used guns there and it's a free listing site for advertising guns for sale in TN.

Guest Burgan

I currently browse ###.com. I don't like the Glock. My Dad has a Glock 22 and I just don't like the way it sits in my hand.

Guest BEARMAN

Welcome Burgan, from just down the road in Gainesboro. I'm a lefty shooter too; however, I just can't seem to cotton up to plastic firearms.

I'll stick with the tried and true 1911 platform, for my money and safety concerns.

Glad to have you on board, my friend.

Oh yeah, try Daves Pawn, in Cookeville...you will NOT be disappointed in their selection and service.

Edited by BEARMAN
Guest Burgan

I have been constantly visiting all the pawn shops and Outdoor Junction in Cookeville, while I look for guns.

Wish I had the money to get my hands on that ACR Dave's got on display, LOL.

Yeah I haven't been to Gunny's yet. May stop in there one day this week.

I understand going with the true metal handguns. If I could find a decently priced CZ, I'd pick one up.

Guest NYCrulesU

Welcome Burgan. I'm in White County but am in Cookeville all the time. I shoot at Outdoor Junction, even had my permit class there. I haven't been to Gunny's but hear nothing but GREAT things.

I see several of us are from that area. If there's ever any kind of a meet/greet count me in.