Any relic hunters out there? What is this????

The kids were bored so I grabbed the metal detector and headed out with them to a small treed area where a ditch runs at the back of my property.

I am not a serious relic hunter but was given these when my Grandfather passed and the kids love going out looking for treasure. Until now all I have found were some nails, and my property corners

We dug this up about 8" down. Obviously shaped like an arrow head. Looks like one side is flat and the other has a taper like an edge. There is a small hole above the half circle at the bottom.

Most old arrow heads have a small tang to insert into the arrow shaft and then wrap so don't believe its an arrowhead but....

Besides running it under some water I have not done anything to clean it. Not sure what is crusted clay or rust. I will soak it overnight to see if anything loosen up.

Not sure what to make of it.:mad:

Any guesses?

dugup3.jpg

dugup4.jpg

Edited by Dad03
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

But it is metal, correct? Essentially knocks out the arrowhead idea, I suppose?

My father-in-law would know, I'll show it to him later.

Kinda looks like one of the cutting heads or tips from an old hay mower.

Yeah, I was thinking replaceable teeth on some kind mower or harrow or saw or trencher or something. Just to narrow it down. :mad:

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Bronker

You guys are brilliant. That's exactly what I think. I believe it's either a old cultivator shoe point or a sickle mower cutter point.

Been looking for a good pic.

Guest BEARMAN

FWIW...After about the 1750's, the native American indians were trading heavily with the white pioneers infiltrating their lands.

The indians transitioned from primarily stone arrowheads to metal points, made of any salvageable metal they could scavage and form into useable tools, or weapons.

I wouldn't rule it out that it could very well be a "new world" arrowhead from that time frame.

If it is, its way more rare than a stone arrowhead; and worth alot more than most stone points of that era.

That does look pretty close.

May not be a major artifact but my kids sure got a kick out of finding it.

I will hold on to it anyway. I was just happy it was not another nail!

Thanks guys

Edited by Dad03

I did an online search. This "metal artifact" doesn't fit the "projectile head" classification. It has no haft to afix it to a shaft. The hole makes it more a mower tip. You can't rule "projectile point" out completely, Archaeology ain't found everything yet.

There are complete quivers with metal pointed projectiles (arrows) in collections throughout the US. I have seen unhafted metal points but those had side notches for binding. I have never seen a metal point attatched with a screw.

Edited by bajabuc

This is a tooth from one of the early visitors from outer space to earth. During a struggle with a CAVEMAN, the CAVEMAN sucker punched the alien in the chops and out popped a tooth. It has been buried for millions of years and you unearthed it. Be careful, don't break it or you will inherit the curse of the spaceman's tooth. Put it in a glass of water and it will regenerate the alien......:). I know this cause when I was abducted by aliens years ago, I remember seeing that very same shaped tooth in one of the examiners mouth. But I not like CAVEMAN, was unable to handle the deadly alien so I suffered a horrible fate.......