Savage 10FP question. pre-accutrigger.

vujade

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kickstand

I'm no expert on Savages, but like other big manufacturers you can probably figure it out from the serial number.

You would better better served using the flat back vs round back.

There was a major change over at Savage. After the change over they went to a round back receiver and dropped the flat back receivers. Savage will not warranty any more flat back receiver guns.

In 2003, Savage introduced their new ACCU-TRIGGER models. Besides the trigger change, the receiver now has a round top in the rear scope base area. It will utilize the same base in the rear as in the front.

Dolomite

I agree with Dolomite. The older savage guns are MUCH better!!! I have a 1997ish production 110 tactical that is STUPID accurate. It will keep WWB under an inch at 100 yards, not to mention the sub 1/2 MOA it will produce with "quality" ammo.

New Savages suck. Ask anyone at Gunsight. They will no longer allow anyone with and Accutrigger Savage to attend a rifle class because they don't last more than a few hundred rounds.

I agree with Dolomite. The older savage guns are MUCH better!!! I have a 1997ish production 110 tactical that is STUPID accurate. It will keep WWB under an inch at 100 yards, not to mention the sub 1/2 MOA it will produce with "quality" ammo.

New Savages suck. Ask anyone at Gunsight. They will no longer allow anyone with and Accutrigger Savage to attend a rifle class because they don't last more than a few hundred rounds.

Not sure where you got that I like older guns because I don't. I use and build new Savages. They tend to be more consistent in their dimensions than the old guns ever thought about. As far as lasting only a few hundred rounds I have a few thousand through a couple of them and never had an issue.

Gunsite, like every other school out there, has their opinions which are not based in fact but based on opinins of those they listen to. There are several schools that tell students that Glocks are junk and likewise there are several schools that claim any 1911 is not fit for duty. Maybe individual guns but not the platforms themselves and the same goes for Savage.

There is even a HCP school on here that won't allow Bersa's to be used in their school.

Savage as a whole is a well build gun and has always been accurate. Whether new or old they all shoot well but from a builders standpoint the new ones are the same lot to lot. Stevens 200's, which is Savages budget line, tends to be even mroe accurate because they are sold "as machined" without all the fluff and buff of a Savage. The fluff and buff can change the guns dimensionally.

Dolomite

I got it based on your previous statement that you would rather have the flat backed receiver versus the newer 2003 production round back receiver. Hence I INFERRED that you preferred the older version.

And I still stand by my assertion that the newer savages with the accutrigger will not hold up. Most serious rifle experts will tell you that for a serious working gun, they will not last. For a target gun, they are fine.

As to the "budget" versions, sans accutrigger, I agree. I bought my Godson an Edge in 243, and it will shoot sub 1/2 MOA with any respectable ammo.

As to Gunsight, and other training facilities, there will always be the couch commando that ends up getting a job "teaching". However, most of these facilities, generally have some idea of what will hold up and what won't based solely on the fact that they see sooooo many guns come through their classes. The training facility that wouldn't let someone use a Bersa, it's probably because they have seen so many problems with them, that they don't want to double or triple the amount of time they have to spend on the range, because they have to clear every other round after a jam.

In my statement I guess I forget to finish the sentence. It should have read "You would better better served using the flat back vs round back as the means to determine age". Sorry about the confusion.

The Axis/Edge is a totally different gun than the budget Stevens 200's. The Stevens 200's are exactly like the model 10's and 110's while the Axis/Edge is a totally different animal. They are good for what most people are going to use them for but if you plan on modifying the rifle the Axis/Edge is not the rifle you want. The reason is there is no aftermarket support for them. Accuracy is just as good as any of the other Savages.

The only different between the newer guns and the older guns is the accutrigger. I do not like the accutrigger and it can be problematic but other than that all other the parts are the same. The parts will interchange without any major fuss. There are a few odd models like the "J" model that is a hybrid gun but other than that all Savages are the same. Long actions have not changed in decades other than the addition of the accutrigger. I can see where the accutrigger can cause problems but the actions, barrels and bolts themselves are rock solid and have pretty much remained unchanged for decades.

Dolomite

Can't see that well but it does look like a flat back receiver. They are good guns but from a builders standpoint the newer ones are truer gun to gun than the older ones. I prefer a 3 screw trigger over the accutrigger but prefer Sharp SHooter Supply triggers over any others.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info Dolomite. I'm still learning more about this rifle. So far it's fun! (just expensive to shoot). Probably the biggest think holding me back from shooting it well is that anxiety right before pulling the trigger that this 3 shot group will cost more than my lunch.

anyone know what kind of stock is this?

2coipg4.jpg

I'm still learning how to shoot. This is what I was able to manage off the bipod with Hornady 168 TAP ammo.

nyubm.jpg

The non touching group on the left is more typical (measures between half an inch to just under an inch). Once in a while, I'll get something touching like the one on the right... does that meet expectations or can I squeeze more accuracy without breaking the bank? (and practice time of course... i just have to eat less so my gun eats more).

Loose the bipod if you want accuracy. It is like a tuning fork and can negatively impact accuracy because of harmonics. Shoot off bags or anything other than bipods. Also, look at spending $100 for a SSS competition trigger. They are easily installed and maintain their adjustments. I have had one installed on a rifle for close to 1,000 shots and it is as good as the day I installed it. Just don't buy directly from Sharp Shooter Supply otherwise you will wait months for your order and get a lot of grief if you call and ask about it.

If you want to wring out the most accuracy possible you need to reload. If not then get some Federal FGMM if they make it for your caliber, it is the gold standard of factory loads.

Your results are probably typical for most Savages using factory ammunition. Mine shot around 3/4" with factory ammo it liked but once I started reloading the groups have been under .400".

Dolomite

good info. I'll try it out without the bipod; that should shed the some weight as well.

I tried some Federal Gold Match. (308) It shot about the same as the Hornady; maybe a little worst. But then again, i only tried one box and that was when it was really really new to me.

The trigger may have had work done or already been changed. In any case, it's already really smooth and light (i don't have a way to measure it except for when I fondle other guns).

I'll start with losing the bipod. (nice to know that my .75 groups with Hornady is 'typical'). Reloading is still an unknown world to me but I'm sure I'll mosey that way one day.