buying beer while carrying

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeeroyNWH

I do it from time to time, just make sure its in the trunk and there are no open containers and what is there to worry about?

Sent from my Droid

as long as it is not open and you are not under the influence there is no problem.

I do it all the time and the 12 or 18 pack sits right on the seat. Last time I bought beer I was carrying and a deputy was right behind me in the liine. I was not worried.

The thought police are not in charge yet.

Guest monkeyhumper
I know I cant drink at all while carrying a handgun, but are there any rules against buying beer to take to the house? would it be a problem if I got pulled over as they might think I have it and will probably open it.

If you run into THAT cop, look out! He might see your gun and think you will probably shoot it.

Before anyone asks, same for Liquor, you can buy it as well while carrying.

As long as the store is not posted, you can carry.

I don't put it in the truck either; I never read anything about separating my beer from my gun, at least while not drinking.

Edited by vontar
Guest Lester Weevils

No open containers.

I've rarely been stopped and it always went smooth. No probs with police.

Some folks are "unlucky" at police stops which may have something to do with their attitude, but I'm only guessing. I know a guy who seems a nice enough fella, but maybe he turns into "Mr Personality" around police. One time he got busted and managed to even get booked, for having some dried-out beer cans in his back seat floor. He had been fishing a few days before and tossed the empties in the car and didn't clean out his car.

So even a dried-out beer can in the back seat is an open container. At least in some cases. Its easier to avoid trouble than try to talk yer way out of it. :P

Guest monkeyhumper

Ab absurdo ≠ cop hating.

If you indeed find a cop that would arrest you because you might open a beer, it's logical to take the absurd position he may arrest you because you might shoot your gun.

Fun with words!

Guest TackleberryTom
If you run into THAT cop, look out! He might see your gun and think you will probably shoot it.

I thought you meant that he might think you were gonna go shoot the full beer bottles, which is alcohol abuse, but extremely fun to do.

Guest TackleberryTom

Going to the store at a late hour to buy some beer is one of the times you probably need to be armed the most.

I always like your answers, thanks

as long as it is not open and you are not under the influence there is no problem.

I do it all the time and the 12 or 18 pack sits right on the seat. Last time I bought beer I was carrying and a deputy was right behind me in the liine. I was not worried.

The thought police are not in charge yet.

I know I cant drink at all while carrying a handgun, ...

Just to split hairs, TN law does not forbid drinking and carrying in general, only drinking in a public establishment or being under the influence while packing.

Not to advocate it in any manner, but JFYI.

- OS

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Just to split hairs, TN law does not forbid drinking and carrying in general, only drinking in a public establishment or being under the influence while packing.

Not to advocate it in any manner, but JFYI.

- OS

This is definitely one of the more convoluted parts of our carry laws. You can carry in a bar, provided you don't drink. Have a sip of a drink at a restaurant or other place open to the public and you're screwed. But drink at someone's house and you're good, provided you're not over the limit.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I suppose that is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but the same applies to DWI. There is a rebuttable presumption that you are not under the influence unless you are over the limit.

I suppose that is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but the same applies to DWI. There is a rebuttable presumption that you are not under the influence unless you are over the limit.

One diff is that there is no BAC reading listed for that presumption in the HCP statutes. It's totally a judgement call on LEO/court, no requirement to have you blow even if you request it.

- OS

Heaven forbid someone be faced with the situation of HAVING TO pull your weapon and being under the influence, whether there were ANY limits or not. That would definitely be argued and probably used against the HCP holder, and looked down upon. One reason why I don't drink. And a good reason no one should even take a sip or be under the influence, no matter how little. Just my 2 cents, which Im sure there will be debate.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Heaven forbid someone be faced with the situation of HAVING TO pull your weapon and being under the influence, whether there were ANY limits or not. That would definitely be argued and probably used against the HCP holder, and looked down upon. One reason why I don't drink. And a good reason no one should even take a sip or be under the influence, no matter how little. Just my 2 cents, which Im sure there will be debate.

Is there really a debate to be had there? I dont drink either, & DEFINITELY wouldnt drink while carrying. I dont drink anything before driving either. If I get pulled over I dont want there to be any inkling whatsoever that I might be in any way intoxicated. If I had my way the cops would be able to throw you in jail if your breath SMELLED of alcohol & you get pulled over. Alcohol & cars (& guns) dont mix at all as far as I'm concerned. Forget this 0.08 BAC crap. I guess I'm just a teetotaler tho, what are ya gonna do? ;)

Is there really a debate to be had there? I dont drink either, & DEFINITELY wouldnt drink while carrying. I dont drink anything before driving either. If I get pulled over I dont want there to be any inkling whatsoever that I might be in any way intoxicated. If I had my way the cops would be able to throw you in jail if your breath SMELLED of alcohol & you get pulled over. Alcohol & cars (& guns) dont mix at all as far as I'm concerned. Forget this 0.08 BAC crap. I guess I'm just a teetotaler tho, what are ya gonna do? :D

I agree totally. But some people believe as long as you are below .08 you couldnt be charged with anything while in poession of your weapon. Thats not the way I see it, but others do. Thats why I said there would probably be differing opinions. One word wrong often brings debate.