What are the rules for shooting on your own property?

Guest dlcameron5

Guest dlcameron5

I have 5 acres in Brentwood that extends into Davidson County and I'd like to practice on my own land but I can't find any posted rules on the Williamson County or Davidson County web sites related to firearm use on private property. Anyone know if it's ok? I have a very safe area with a good backstop to use and I'm only shooting handguns. It's still rural where I live but it's built up over the years for sure.

Do yourself a favor and talk to an Officer from the department that would respond to a “Shots Fired” or “Man with a gun call”. It only matters what those guys will do.

We could really get you screwed up. :D

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1
In Davidson county you can't discharge a firearm on your property ever. Not sure about Williamson county.
I don't believe that is correct. I think the ban applies only to the urban services district, and the general services district at night. I have hunted several different places in Davidson County, and never had an issue.

I do believe that Brentwood has a ban inside the city limits, but I have never really looked into it. Seems like Cal Turner got in a little trouble a few years ago for having a dove hunt in the city limits.

Tough in Davidson County...

Chapter 11.12 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

11.12.080 - Discharging weapons.

A.

It is unlawful for any person to discharge or fire any firearm within the urban services district of the metropolitan government at any time, and within the general services district of the metropolitan government during the nighttime.

For the purposes of this section, the word "nighttime" means that period of time beginning thirty minutes after dusk and ending thirty minutes prior to sunrise.

B.

It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government.

C.

Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the discharge or firing of any firearms by anyone:

While in the lawful performance of duty as an officer of the law; or

Within a legally established shooting range or shooting gallery where precautions have been taken to insure the protection of human life and property; or

Lawfully engaged in hunting, as permitted by the state, upon any property located within the urban services district of the metropolitan government; or

Legally defending person or property.

(Ord. 99-1775 § 1, 1999; Amdt. 1 to Ord. 96-295, 6/4/96; Ord. 96-295 § 1, 1996)

Guest bigbovine

I must say if you cannot fire in the outer parts of Davidson County, I should have been getting in trouble long time ago. I do so on the north side and have never even had a call in. I do this in the Joelton/ Whites Creek area though.

Guest dlcameron5

thank you all very much - there are some great suggestions which I will use tomorrow to start really looking into this. thanks for the welcome - I'm new to the forum and sort of new to guns...just applied for my carry permit and joined the range on Owl Hollow Road but it sure would be convenient to shoot on my own land. BTW, it is considered agricultural property and I do have horses (who will be safely tucked away when shooting) so maybe that will help.

Guest Oaklands
the biggest rule I have for shooting at my place is to bring your own beer. :D

DaveTN nailed it, call the man and ask if you can shoot.

Heck, I'll even bring a 6 pack for you.

Guest mosinon

"It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government."

well I guess that is it for slingshots as well.

I get that you can't get your own nuclear waste dump going on your property, I get that you aren't allowed to start your own polio farm but just shooting a gun? Seems more than a little restrictive to me.

Guest Broomhead
It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government.

That rules out airsoft, Nerf guns, dollar-store suction-cup dart guns, bows, crossbows, squirt guns, pepper spray, champagne bottles with corks, etc. That is pretty freakin' all inclusive.

Guest RobThatsMe

Hi,

While checking it out, you may also want to look into how far away from another dwelling you have to be.

If you have neighbors ajoining your property, then I do believe you must be 500 ft away from their homes.

+1 on checking with the local LEO's. Also, when you do obtain clarification, please post your answer here in the forum.

Rob

Guest dlcameron5

I can easily be 500 ft away from any dwelling ( my land is about 1K feet long) and I plan on making sure the neighbors don't have any beefs (I'm only really worried about the city slickers who moved in next door and are scared of everything including dogs and cats - can you imagine that? why move where there are coyote's, deer and geese in your yard if you are scared of everything that moves).

I did call the Brentwood Police this morning and spoke to the 1st shift supervisor. His first answer was "it's not a good idea" but I persisted to get an answer regarding the law, not his feelings. He's a cop so of course he doesn't think it's a good idea. But he was good natured about it and promised to call me back with an answer after doing some research. I'll let you know when he does and what he says.

I can easily be 500 ft away from any dwelling ( my land is about 1K feet long) and I plan on making sure the neighbors don't have any beefs (I'm only really worried about the city slickers who moved in next door and are scared of everything including dogs and cats - can you imagine that? why move where there are coyote's, deer and geese in your yard if you are scared of everything that moves).

I did call the Brentwood Police this morning and spoke to the 1st shift supervisor. His first answer was "it's not a good idea" but I persisted to get an answer regarding the law, not his feelings. He's a cop so of course he doesn't think it's a good idea. But he was good natured about it and promised to call me back with an answer after doing some research. I'll let you know when he does and what he says.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, there is nothing better than being able to shoot in your own backyard, I love living in the country!

Guest dlcameron5

It used to be a lot more country when I bought the place in '98. I've never been happy about being incorporated by Brentwood - if they had stopped one house over, I wouldn't have to worry about this at all.

According to the law posted above, it doesn't matter what the Brentwood police tell you, it will be illegal.

Whether or not they'll do anything about it is a different story...

Guest dlcameron5

he did tell me that it was legal to hunt in Brentwood...he wasn't sure about just target shooting. I guess I can always say that I was shooting at a coyote and even though I shot 100 rounds I still missed.

Proves I need to practice.

Guest nashvegas
According to the law posted above, it doesn't matter what the Brentwood police tell you, it will be illegal.

Whether or not they'll do anything about it is a different story...

Brentwood is in Williamson County, not Davidson, and I have never had any issues shooting on my farm which is located in Davidson County.

in williamson county it is legal to shoot shot guns on your property as long as you are 200 ft from a right of way or dwelling. i was shooting skeet in brentwood on sat and the cops showed up. ten mins and a couple of phone calls by the officers and we went back to shooting. don't really know about rifles and handguns though.