What to carry?

Guest tnmom

Guest tnmom

Hi, I've been carrying a Beretta Jetfire 25 that's at least 40 yrs. old, but my dh wants me to carry something with a little more punch. I'm 5'4, about 150 lbs and I have some health issues that effect my ability to rack harder slides, that's part of the reason why I love my Beretta, it's got the drop barrel feature. I've been carrying in SOB, but want to carry with a belly band, (appendix). Have been looking at the Kel Tec 32, S&W 38, Taurus TCP 32. Any help would be really appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

tnmom, my better half has been through the same thing ... ... except she was the one who decided to "upgrade." Long story, but basically a "scare" caused her to retire her Beretta Bobcat .22 for a bigger "punch."

She picked her own pistol, a Taurus 709 Slim (9mm), and is pretty good with it. Matter of fact, better than I am. She also has problems "racking" a slide, but with a little practice, became pretty proficient at it with the Taurus. The secret seems to be to hold the slide with one hand and "push" the frame with the other hand, rather than trying to work (pull) the slide while holding the frame steady. May take a little practice, but it works for her.

That being said, I came home with a S&W 637 airweight with Crimson Trace grips, and she promptly confiscated it. Claims it's hers now. And after a wide-eyed first round, put another 49 rounds into a target (paper plate). That first 38 Special round had, she said, a little more "kick" than she expected. She's good for 50 rounds during practice, and after that, she's pretty tired. But if things get bad enough to need that many rounds, you've got more trouble than most of us expect to face. Oh ... and I think the laser grips give her a little more confidence.

She also has a belly band, along with an IWB, for both the .38 and the 9mm, with her clothing for the day determining which she wears.

I would encourage you to try anything and everything you think you are interested in, to determine what suits you. It doesn't have to suit anyone else. Either borrow someone else's or go to the range with someone who has something you like, or rent them at a range. It will be time well spent.

And while I am not a fan of the .25, if you can't find something you like and trust (and can hit your target with) as well as you can with the Beretta, then by all means keep it until you find what suits you.

Just my two cents. And best wishes in finding what you like. (The shopping and try outs are tons of fun.)

• Administrator

If you have problems racking the slide on a semi-automatic, I would recommend that you consider a small revolver of some sort. Smith & Wesson J-Frame chambered in .38spl would be sufficient. While a full-house .38spl load can have a little pop to it in a short barrel handgun, you can find lighter power loads that remedy some of that -- if it is a problem.

I have to agree with TGO David that a lightweight .38 snubby of some sort would be an excellent choice. They are so light that you practically forget that you are carrying them. Also, if you plan on carrying in a belly band, a lightweight gun is almost a necessity to prevent the belly band from sagging......especially with the 4" wide bands. If you have any trouble at all with the recoil of the regular .38 loads, there are many low recoil .38 self defense loads available. My elderly mother has a S&W 442 .38 and I bought her some Federal Nyclads (low recoil) for it and she can handle it just fine.

The technique of racking a slide that "safeandsecure" mentioned is also a very good way for someone that has problems with pulling the slide back to learn. It takes a little bit to learn, but it will make racking the slide of any semi-auto much easier. There are a lot of different semi-autos out there and they are all different as far as how much effort it takes to rack the slide. I would suggest that you go to several gun shops and try a bunch of them out to see if one might be easier for you to handle if you are dead set on getting another semi-auto. I have a KelTec P11 and it's pretty easy to rack, but it's also well broken in.

If you are looking for a good lightweight semi-auto to upgrade into from your Beretta, I'd definitely look real hard at the slim frame 9mm's out there. KelTec PF9, Taurus TCP, and the new Ruger slim 9mm (can't think of the model # right now) are all good choices. If you want something a bit smaller, the KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP .380's are both good guns for the money.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with! :)

I have to agree with TGO David that a lightweight .38 snubby of some sort would be an excellent choice. They are so light that you practically forget that you are carrying them. Also, if you plan on carrying in a belly band, a lightweight gun is almost a necessity to prevent the belly band from sagging......especially with the 4" wide bands. If you have any trouble at all with the recoil of the regular .38 loads, there are many low recoil .38 self defense loads available. My elderly mother has a S&W 442 .38 and I bought her some Federal Nyclads (low recoil) for it and she can handle it just fine.

The technique of racking a slide that "safeandsecure" mentioned is also a very good way for someone that has problems with pulling the slide back to learn. It takes a little bit to learn, but it will make racking the slide of any semi-auto much easier. There are a lot of different semi-autos out there and they are all different as far as how much effort it takes to rack the slide. I would suggest that you go to several gun shops and try a bunch of them out to see if one might be easier for you to handle if you are dead set on getting another semi-auto. I have a KelTec P11 and it's pretty easy to rack, but it's also well broken in.

If you are looking for a good lightweight semi-auto to upgrade into from your Beretta, I'd definitely look real hard at the slim frame 9mm's out there. KelTec PF9, Taurus TCP, and the new Ruger slim 9mm (can't think of the model # right now) are all good choices. If you want something a bit smaller, the KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP .380's are both good guns for the money.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with! :)