Copyright infringement

Okay, David just shut down a thread

[AND I'M NOT HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE SUBJECT OF THAT THREAD]

and something he said gave me pause.

....That crap can get TGO in a lot of trouble.

Well dang man, I copy and paste stuff all the time. Witty lines from movies, stuff I see here and there. Could someone define the problem a bit better? Like keep it to short sections and not entire works??? Is that cool, or just post a link to it? No one wants to get the forum in hot water!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops...sorry guys..I've emailed the guy...the part I used isn't something I'm particularly worried about...most of it is anthropology...straight out of textbooks... What is important is that Lazlo is possibly the best thinker on our age.

• Administrator
Whoops...sorry guys..I've emailed the guy...the part I used isn't something I'm particularly worried about...most of it is anthropology...straight out of textbooks... What is important is that Lazlo is possibly the best thinker on our age.

If you get his permission to repost it here, that will take care of all problems. Thanks.

I personally don't mind clicking a link to check out the article... might as well show them the courtesy of visiting their website if I want to read the article. If nothing else, it will give their site stats a boost. Yes it's a pain to open a new browser tab and load a new page, but I can deal with it.

As popular as some of the forums are, the copied verbatim article could end up in a search engine result before the newspaper's own website... that isn't fair. Theoretically, a small newspaper could end up getting no credit or recognition from a story even though it became extremely popular online.

this post is not to single anyone out, but just happned to be the very next link I clicked on.

Am I missing something or isn't this the exact same example we are being told not to do?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/58311-dickson-co-deputy-extremely-serious-condition-after-shooting.html#post741554

I am just like others wanting clarrification.

Thanks

this post is not to single anyone out, but just happned to be the very next link I clicked on.

Am I missing something or isn't this the exact same example we are being told not to do?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/58311-dickson-co-deputy-extremely-serious-condition-after-shooting.html#post741554

Thanks

That sounds EXACTLY like what is forbidden. I read the entire article, including an update, without ever visiting the originating website.

The copyright problems on forums came about when a group called Righthaven started suing any board or blog that republished content from creators who had gone into business with Righthaven, whether or not the "infringements" constituted fair use. As a result, many boards, M4C included, decided to completely avoid the problem by disallowing reposting of any content that could be construed as copyright infringement. Righthaven sued Democratic Underground because someone posted five lines of text from an article from the Las Vegas Review Journal or something. They are basically throwing suits left and right in the hopes of getting settlements from their victims.

As it is, it's probably best to link to things instead of reposting.

Apparently, though, Righthaven doesn't hold the copyright to any of the content it is suing over, and it's looking like (hopefully and rightfully so) none of its suits will hold any merit.

More here:

Righthaven LLC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Righthaven Victims

Righthaven Will Sue No More? - MediaJobsDaily

Apparently, though, Righthaven doesn't hold the copyright to any of the content it is suing over, and it's looking like (hopefully and rightfully so) none of its suits will hold any merit.

Based on my limited experience on the law, I believe that the law does require a plaintiff to have some direct interest in the material to claim damages. This is yet another example of why we need a "loser pays" legal system.

Guest GunTroll
Based on my limited experience on the law, I believe that the law does require a plaintiff to have some direct interest in the material to claim damages. This is yet another example of why we need a "loser pays" legal system.

Agreed.

I've been corresponding with Lazlo for about a year. He's brilliant...with a twist...I was worried about it as I was using it...my intention was to name him as author as soon as I'd posted it...but one thing led to another...my wife's computer bellied up and I had to format it...excuses I know...but...

• Administrator

Thanks

You seem like the ideal candidate to scour the forum for all of the things we miss and tell us when you find something like this that qualifies.

Guest Lester Weevils

Fair Use in a forum post in the past may have included a link and a SHORT verbatim quote from the source article. I guess from now on it needs to be a paraphrase rather than a short quote?

Some folks who are busy will not click on a link if the post contains a link and no explanation of the link. They don't have time to look at every link if they don't know they will be interested in it. So if someone wants a link to be widely read, I guess they would need to take the time to write a brief summary.

What about youtube videos? If an author has locked out embedding, then the youtube video automatically will not play any place except in youtube. Presumably authors who have not locked out embedding are attention hounds who would appreciate the publicity? Not arguing any point. Just wondering if the risk is so bad that not even youtube videos can be embedded.

• Admin Team

The courts are going to weigh in on this soon, and are already kicking some of these "infringement" cases against blog owners out of court. Here's hoping they make the jerks pay legal fees as well.

You seem like the ideal candidate to scour the forum for all of the things we miss and tell us when you find something like this that qualifies.

you know i asked a question for clarrification, thanks for your heart felt response.

Paraphrazing is out too...go to Plagiarism.org and see what they have to say about it.

As it is...the part I copied is mostly anthropology studies...I'd just never seen it put together the way he did.

I'd say the material is public domain...the writing is Lazlos

BTW...if you're interested in what he has to say...his work is available on the internet. I'm not saying where but you can google him.

Paraphrazing is out too...go to Plagiarism.org and see what they have to say about it.

Paraphrasing is not wrong, as long as you cite the original source and don't take ownership of the ideas as your own. For instance, I could say: "According to Emile Durkhiem, crime is a normal and beneficial phenomenon in society. It gives societies the opportunity to clearly define, reinforce, and revise social norms and values. Without a clear definition of wrong, you can't have a clear definition is right." I totally paraphrased it and gave credit to the original author (who has been dead for over a century now). As far as plagiarism goes, you can also use brief quotes as long as you note them as such and give clear credit to the source.

I would assume that meeting the standards of academic publishing would be more than sufficient for the purposes of copyright issues.

Considering that there are no words in the English language that haven't been written and published before (and to quote my anthropology professor LB Davis "There have been 6 original ideas in the course of human events. Everything else is take offs") everything is plag.

Guest RevScottie

Kind of takes the fun out of posting stuff if you have to follow the rules for writing a college level english paper :D

What about youtube videos? If an author has locked out embedding, then the youtube video automatically will not play any place except in youtube. Presumably authors who have not locked out embedding are attention hounds who would appreciate the publicity? Not arguing any point. Just wondering if the risk is so bad that not even youtube videos can be embedded.

Youtube is designed so that you can embed the videos using their code... their logos and links are embedded into the video and plays are tracked accordingly. A Youtube video is fair game, as long as you stick to their embed code.

Considering that there are no words in the English language that haven't been written and published before (and to quote my anthropology professor LB Davis "There have been 6 original ideas in the course of human events. Everything else is take offs") everything is plag.

True, knowledge is nothing more than the collection of centuries of human ideas that are gathered, filtered, reworked, and passed along to others. But plagiarism is only taking someone else's ideas and words as your own and not giving them credit for their work.