Copyright infringement

Guest db99wj

How will this be monitored for the lawsuits? Not here, but everywhere, if a lawsuit was filed on every infraction on all the internet, the court system, if they only did this type of thing, would never get through all the cases, let alone, a court system, as it is set up, that deals with all the other stuff our there.

Sounds like some asshats are trying to find technicalities to sue people on. Seems like some new rules need to be done.

I've seen, like the youtube point made above, pictures on sites that if you try to copy, whether it is the picture itself, or the link, a pop up forbidding you to do so due to copy write. Seems like a person with content, could do that if they didn't want or expect their content to be shared. If something is not done to clarify, protect, etc, one could just post up pictures, and wait for some unknowing ignorant person to come along, yank the picture, then sue them. Bunch of bull****. But it is what it is and I understand TGO's logic in all of this, but it still sucks, sucks that the limits are being placed upon us and it sucks even more that a forum like this could get nailed because someone posts an F'n funny picture or links to a newstory.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What seems to be happening is that most of the cases are being settled out of court and the logic is that it costs less to settle than to spend the money to travel to the location where the case will be heard. Even if you win you are still out your travel expenses. Then what if the case get put off and you have multiple trips. Unless you have plenty of cash and just want to fight them, it's cheaper to settle.

Guest db99wj
What seems to be happening is that most of the cases are being settled out of court and the logic is that it costs less to settle than to spend the money to travel to the location where the case will be heard. Even if you win you are still out your travel expenses. Then what if the case get put off and you have multiple trips. Unless you have plenty of cash and just want to fight them, it's cheaper to settle.

Kind of a pay us, or we will make your life hell kind of thing....sounds like what the Mafia did/does to small business guys for "protection". Grrr.

In other words... just more scumbags to deal with.

This is just the begining of the end of the internet as we know it now that we can't share ideas between sites.

I can understand if someone is using someone else's material for a profit that doesn't include the person who made it or wrote it. And even with that the victim should have to prove actual damages rather than some hypothetical amount that likely is over inflated. And once this become mainstream we are gonig to go broke paying for the courts to decide all of it.

I am actually disgusted by all of this mostly because it is going to stiffle forward thinking and the free flow of ideas.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

No reason for it to stifle anything really.

Just post a link to the original instead of the text of the article. The original plantiff in these suits was a group suing on "behalf" of the Rocky Mountain News. By posting a link, everyone reads the original article, and the copyright holder gets the traffic, advertising revenue, etc...

Well..heck...now that I have permission..I can't remember what I was going to do with it...halfheimers is rapidly becoming threequarterheimers

Of all the things I miss from my youth...and there are many...I miss my brain the most.

• Administrator
Kind of takes the fun out of posting stuff if you have to follow the rules for writing a college level english paper :stare:

Yeah. It kind of takes the fun of running a forum when you get your ass sued off because of user plagiarism.

Guest Verbal Kint
I wonder how long it will be until people engaging in conversations at a bar have to cite their references; stating them in APA style?

This made me laugh out loud. I'm about a year out from having my BS in Psychology and Counseling (read: I've already written a ton of essays and papers) and you should see the amount of citing that has to be done. About every other sentence has a "(xxxx, date)" after it. Which doesn't bother me. Once you get several dozen of those going, it pads the paper length pretty well! :)

Guest Drewsett
This made me laugh out loud...Once you get several dozen of those going, it pads the paper length pretty well! :)

Having written my fair share of papers over the last year, I can identify. It seems the best way to be a good writer these days is to have a knack for stringing together quotes from different sources. The addition of citations and commentary makes writing papers a breeze.

But as far as the copyright infringement is concerned, as long as credit is given, no money is made and the owner isn't harmed in any way, I can't see a judge or jury awarding damages. Hopefully the USC chimes in on this one soon and doesn't punt it back down to the appellate level or just refuse to hear the case.

Guest Lester Weevils
Having written my fair share of papers over the last year, I can identify. It seems the best way to be a good writer these days is to have a knack for stringing together quotes from different sources. The addition of citations and commentary makes writing papers a breeze.

But as far as the copyright infringement is concerned, as long as credit is given, no money is made and the owner isn't harmed in any way, I can't see a judge or jury awarding damages. Hopefully the USC chimes in on this one soon and doesn't punt it back down to the appellate level or just refuse to hear the case.

If forums even make small revenue from embedded advertising, the commercial interest is in there. If a customer reads an article from site A on site B, then site B theoretically (and perhaps in reality) deprives site A of ad revenue.

The reverse situation can sometimes be a problem-- If a picture from site A is embedded in popular site B, then every visitor on site B causes server activity on site A. As long as site A doesn't over-run its data allotment that would be OK.

But if the owner of site A ends up paying extra data charges because too many people are looking at his picture from site B, then the owner of site A might not be real happy about it.