Looking for a New 12 ga. pump something barely outside of class III

vontar

OK, This is just gathering ideas. I have not been shopping around. I have not be out putting guns in my hands yet.

Due to the increasing number of home breaking's and home invasions around Oak Ridge. This morning I said that is enough,when I was woke up this morning to my scanner going off with reports of another home invasion report as I was about to go to work (Oak Ridge man, 64, reports home invasion by 2 men, 1 woman » Knoxville News Sentinel) . I feel it is not enough to have just a pistol on my night stand.

I want to find a 12 ga pump to full primary roll to live beside my bed to be at the ready.

I will list my idea. Let me know of any cons that go with my ideas and if you have a better idea let me know as well.

I am not ready to ready for Class 3 yet shorty yet. So I want to look at as close to Class 3 as I can go with out stepping over the line, just to see what is available.

So What is available in 12 ga pump, that has at least 18 inch barrel and at least 26 inches long but not much more?

I also need price ranges.

(Might have to use it in a phone booth so to speak some day)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeeroyNWH

I picked up my mossberg 500 persuader at academy sports for $325 out the door. Barrel length is 18 inches, and overall length is just over 3 ft. I love this gun and find that it fits perfectly in my hands. Hope this helps

Guest 556or762

I have a wanna be 870 imported by New England Firearms from academy it has an18.5in barrel and takes 870 parts it was $185 and shoots just like my 870 oh and if it gets stolen I just dont care it only cost $185 dollars its been behind the door for a year or better and it still shoots every time I pull the trigger. I mounted a side saddle made for an 870 on it it fit perfect I had to notch the forend but hey thats just because I didnt want to change it out, I was going cheap on that one.

Guest bkelm18

If you want short, you can't get much shorter than an 18" pump with a pistol grip, but pistol grips suck as far as accuracy and comfort are concerned. I'd recommend just getting a Mossy 500 or Remmy 870, 18" with a stock. Mossberg 500s can be found under $300. Remmington 870s can be found a bit over $300 and are a bit better made IMO but both will do fine in a home defense role. I plan on picking one up real soon.

I wonder if I could get something that I could get something with a changeable Stock, Pistol grip/stand stock option, where as the pistol grip would still be in the legal 26 inches?

Also when it comes to Shot guns I have only ever had what dad gave me growing up, should I worry about Chokes or just shoot as it.

What rounds would use use for home Defense in a 12 ga? (considering chokes here as well)

I might want a place for a optional light, plus ported barrel.(I know the barrel can be ported later)

seems to me every single incident of a home invasion in OR deals with skeevy people. If you are not a pillhead or into shady dealings I don't think you have to much to worry about.

Aside from all that BK said all thats needs to be said on this subject.

Guest bkelm18
I wonder if I could get something that I could get something with a changeable Stock, Pistol grip/stand stock option, where as the pistol grip would still be in the legal 26 inches?

Also when it comes to Shot guns I have only ever had what dad gave me growing up, should I worry about Chokes or just shoot as it.

What rounds would use use for home Defense in a 12 ga? (considering chokes here as well)

I might want a place for a optional light, plus ported barrel.(I know the barrel can be ported later)

It would still be legal with a pistol grip only. There are folding stocks like this: Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Reducing Folding Stock Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, 590, 590A1, 835 12 Gauge Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA. Never tried them though. Knoxx does make some pretty sweet recoil reducing stocks that are collapsible like an AR15 stock: Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable Length of Pull Recoil Reducing Buttstock and Forend Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, 590, 590A1, 835 12 Gauge Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA. As far as what loads to use, 00 Buck is the gold standard. Federal has some low recoil 00 Buck that a lot of people like. #4 Buck is popular if you're concerned with over penetration. Do not use birdshot. It will only cause superficial wounds. There are options for lights that are inexpensive such as clamps that go on the barrel, to lights built into the pump forend made by Surefire (expensive). Don't worry about chokes. At household distances, a choke really wouldn't make much difference.

I picked up my mossberg 500 persuader at academy sports for $325 out the door. Barrel length is 18 inches, and overall length is just over 3 ft. I love this gun and find that it fits perfectly in my hands. Hope this helps

I also have the Persuader. It's a great gun for the money.

Guest LeeroyNWH

The mossberg I mentioned also comes with a pistol grip attachment that eliminates the butt stock altogether

Sent from my Droid

You might also consider the Benelli Nova. They offer a model that includes a pretty nice set of ghost ring sights. It is a pretty sweet setup, for a few dollars more than a similar Remington 870. The Ithaca 37s are also really good guns.

If you are looking to customize, you can't beat the 870 or the Mossberg (especially the 500) for parts and accessories.

I think the biggest consideration is finding a platform that feels natural to you. I prefer the 870 to the Benelli and Mossbergs, but that is because I have hunted and shot clays with one for 25 years. Familiarity is extremely important, especially in high-stress low-light situations. I bought a couple of police barrels a and use them on my hunting guns. Really the only modification I made was to add tritium front sights. I don't even mess with the mag extensions, but do remove the plug.

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably opt for the Mossberg 500s. The Mossy safety is probably in a little more natural location for most people (at least that has been my experience) and they are generally a little cheaper.

If the overall length is important, you may also want to consider a coach gun. You are limited in firepower, but they are considerably more compact than a pump action. I also think they are a little easier for a new shooter to learn.

• Moderators

My setup is that same Mossberg 500A Persuader that has been mentioned, I have added the Knoxx Recoil reducing stock, an Ergo railed forend and a shellholder sling. This particular model has a cylinder bore, so couldn't even mess with chokes if ya wanted to.

The next items to be added to the setup are a light and ghost rings.

For home defense I bought a Police trade in Remington 870 for something like $175. It's not pretty, but it is very functional.

I would caution you against the pistol grip only shotguns. When I was an instructor, we used to hold shotgun and home defense classes. One of the most memorable was when a guy brought in a pistol grip shotgun, and fired FIVE rounds and the web of his hand was bleeding. After 20 rounds, I had to scrounge up a stock to put on his shotgun so he could complete the course.

There are various techniques that allow you to manuever a stocked shotgun through your house with the same efficiency has a pistol grip gun, but without the negative affects.

OK, I have allot of information to go though and that is what I wanted. This is why I didn't just rush out and buy the first one I saw.

Mike, you are right, most of the break ins are probably want you stated but I have the green light from my wife to add a firearm because of them so I am. I don't believe am not a shady person but that last one was about 5 blocks away from us, and others have been about 5 blocks in another direction.

I am going to look at the Moss 500 and Rem 870.

Which every I get I Will probably end up with accessories down the road.

I will need to put some in my hand and see how they feel before I made a decision. Check how many rounds they hold, price, maybe check for used. I believe there is gun show this weekend as well.

Edited by vontar

For years our go to gun for home defense was a coach gun. It has served well in this roll for my father, my mother and for a long time, me. It is compact and comfortable, easy to swing and probably the long gun I have to most experience with period. I love it.

A handful of years ago I bought an NEF Pardner Pump Protector, a Chinese knock-off of an 870. It is a great gun, I have put several hundred rounds down range with it, from light birdshot, to high brass buck. It eats it all and doesn't complain. It is now the gun that fills the home defense roll.

I keep it filled with #4 Buck and it stays right where I need it.

However, if it ever came down to the point where I needed a go to gun for something a little more ambitious than running those damn kids off my grass, I would probably go back the my coach gun. There is something simple and lovely about it. It might not hold as many rounds, but it is faster to reload if you know what you are doing, and you can get that second shot off faster than anything else out there. Mine is a Rossi, 20" barrels and it is still nearly a foot shorter than my NEF with an 18.5" barrel.

Guest frank318

Mossberg 500 Persuader is an excellent shotgun. Shot the Remington 870, its ok but I like my 500 better. Maverick 88 is identical to a 500 except for the safety position and alot cheaper. Really just depends on what you think feels good and your budget.

Cant wait for the Kel-Tec KSG to come out either.

I have a wanna be 870 imported by New England Firearms from academy it has an18.5in barrel and takes 870 parts it was $185 and shoots just like my 870 oh and if it gets stolen I just dont care it only cost $185 dollars its been behind the door for a year or better and it still shoots every time I pull the trigger. I mounted a side saddle made for an 870 on it it fit perfect I had to notch the forend but hey thats just because I didnt want to change it out, I was going cheap on that one.

+1 on the NEF Pardner Protector. I have one sitting in the corner between the wall and my dresser, and it goes boom every time. And, I don't have a lot of money tied up in it.

Guest bkelm18
Mossberg 500 Persuader is an excellent shotgun. Shot the Remington 870, its ok but I like my 500 better. Maverick 88 is identical to a 500 except for the safety position and alot cheaper. Really just depends on what you think feels good and your budget.

Cant wait for the Kel-Tec KSG to come out either.

Well, there are reasons the Maverick is cheaper than the 500 aside from the position of the safety, but I'd say it's just as reliable as a home defense weapon.