sanding/smoothing out a RTF Glock

tercel89

I saw a thread on here or somewhere about someone sanding/smoothing down the RTF Glocks so that the grip wasnt so aggressive . It looked nice and made it alot smoother .

Does anyone know or seen that thread ? I ask because I just scored a G22 RTF with gills . I got it on a trade for my XD-9 .

I am happy!!!

Anyone know what I am talking about on the sanding/smoothing thing ?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know what you are talking about.

In fact many have said the texture has worn spots on their clothing ect.

If you plan to ever sell the pistol, I'd go with a slip on type grip.

As sanding will more than likely devalue the pistol.

Other wise, I'd use a maybe 600 grit sand paper and go at it slow.

Sean,

I have never messed with an RTF or Gen 4. I like the RTF rough finish. The Gen 4 is OK but if I had a Gen 4 9mm I would convert it to a single spring recoil rod.

If your RTF were mine I would take some 600 grit with a sanding block like "Patton" said to do and hit it a couple of light licks where you think it needs it most. Then see if you like it, then hit it a lick or two again if you don't until you are satisfied or disgusted. If you get disgusted with it you could give it to me and I'll take it down all the way and stipple it. I'll charge you the same as I do Dave, Rowdy, Lew and Richard. However, as one poster said you may want to just slip an inner tube over it.

I just traded for a Gen 3 G19 I have to strip and stipple. I've been eyeballing a very nice condition Gen 2 G17 also, but have sort of deal brewing for a S&W revolver. If the S&W deal goes south I probably will get the Gen 2 G17 if it is still available. I am through trading Glock 9mms for other plastic guns after my latest debacle. A fella can't have too many 9mm Glocks in case of a "zombie apocolypse."

Craig

Sean,

I have never messed with an RTF or Gen 4. I like the RTF rough finish. The Gen 4 is OK but if I had a Gen 4 9mm I would convert it to a single spring recoil rod.

If your RTF were mine I would take some 600 grit with a sanding block like "Patton" said to do and hit it a couple of light licks where you think it needs it most. Then see if you like it, then hit it a lick or two again if you don't until you are satisfied or disgusted. If you get disgusted with it you could give it to me and I'll take it down all the way and stipple it. I'll charge you the same as I do Dave, Rowdy, Lew and Richard. However, as one poster said you may want to just slip an inner tube over it.

I just traded for a Gen 3 G19 I have to strip and stipple. I've been eyeballing a very nice condition Gen 2 G17 also, but have sort of deal brewing for a S&W revolver. If the S&W deal goes south I probably will get the Gen 2 G17 if it is still available. I am through trading Glock 9mms for other plastic guns after my latest debacle. A fella can't have too many 9mm Glocks in case of a "zombie apocolypse."

Craig

AHHH and the great ole mighty Graycrait appears !!! ha ha ha

I think I'll try the 600 grain sandpaper . So far that is what most have done . I was thinking of doing it too but just wanted a little reassurance . I am gonna keep this dude so I am not worried about resale value . I kinda even thought about doing a grip-reduction to make the grip like a G23 , but I think I'll stick with the first modification I had set in mind .

Tercel, you might have been referring to a comment I made previously. I have 3 Glocks and 2 of them are Gen 4's. I have Talon Grips on all of them and find that I have a much better grip on the gun with them. However, the Talon's are a little aggressive for CCW so I have sanded them down slightly so that my shirt doesn't get caught on the grip. Absolutely perfect now.

Anyone got any pictures of this ? I will post pics when I do the sanding . I was gonna do it today but had to put in an AC blower motor and duct work on my wifes car and watch 2 crazy kids and a wild jack-a-lab all at the same time .

Guest xlearguy

400 grit sandpaper does a nice job on Talon grips. Also rubbing a candle across the Talon Grip surface after smoothing it out slightly makes it pretty kind to your skin if using an IWB holster.

Buy a 3rd gen instead. Problem solved.

No , I got this on a trades so I couldnt be picky , I wanted a G22 but if I sand this down some , it may turn out better than a regular Gen 3 . I do like the "fish gill" serrations on the slide , they are definitley cool looking and functional .

I just got mine done . It may not look good because the sanding leaves it a little grayish , but it is the best feeling Glock I have ever felt . I have the smoothness of a Gen 1 with the finger grooves of a Gen 3 . I used 320 grit sandpaper on it . I love its feel . Like I said , it may not look good , but it sure feels great ! This gun is purely function over fashion . It is gonna be my "work horse" gun .

006-2.jpg