Woman is thinking of carrying

Guest nancy

I have my Handgun Carry Permit, and have used small pistols and a rifle(both 22's)for years, to dispatch small critters on the farm. For personal self-defense my husband got me a 38 special last year, he said as it was hammerless I could carry it in my jacket pocket or jeans pocket if I felt uncomfortable when someone drove to the house. I used this 38 for target practice a few weeks ago and it was quite the pistol. So my husband let me use his Glock 26 9mm and it did not hurt my hand at all, so I have claimed this as my pistol(I may keep the 38 special upstairs next to the bed, just in case). He is getting a Glock 34 9mm, he needed a lighter triggerpull.

My question: would a calf or ankle holster be practical for the Glock 26? I do not believe carrying the pistol in my purse would be practical, in the case of an emergency.

I read the thread What Would you Do in the Mall, if there was a shooter. This was VERY informative and my husband and I had a long discussion on the recommended course of action.

Nancy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think ankle holsters are better than leaving the gun at home. But not by much. They are uncomfortable, awkward, and put the gun out of immediate reach, especially for us fat guys.

There are any number of better options, from undershirts with holsters in them (Kramer), underwear with a holster in it (thunderwear), belly bands, cross draws, etc etc.

Nancy,

Take a look at a fanny pack holster as well. They make them in lots of sizes for lots of guns and they offer a lot of security for your pistol. They're a very good alternative to a holstered pistol out on the farm where it's dusty and dirty as well.

Optics Planet.com has every Bianchi leather or nylon holster ever made for decent prices, and the Bianchi Accumold units are super holsters. In fact anything with Bianchi on it is a quality product IMHO. If you order one from them make sure you call their 800 number first and get an assurance it's in stock. If you order over the Internet and it's out of stock you won't be notified for about three days after you've ordered it, so give them a call if ordering from them. Hope you find what you're looking for.

JayPee

"Take a look at a fanny pack holster as well."

Yes, we were thinking of that also. Would the Glock 26 be too large for that? My husband just ordered a 17 round magazine for me.

I was thinking of an ankle/calf holster as I just saw a series of carjackings in Florida and thought, if one was not overweight, this could be easy to get at.

Most would recommend against an ankle holster for your primary weapon... simply because accessing it will require significant motion.

If a conventional holster on or inside the waist wouldn't be feasible for you, I'd suggest considering SmartCarry, or perhaps a belly-band/holster-shirt.

This would be a good read for you: http://www.firearmsinstitute.com/women.htm

This article has a paragraph dedicated to womens' concealment: http://www.policeone.com/police-products/duty-gear/holsters/articles/1229386/

And Galco has a selection of holsters which has been listed with women in mind: http://www.usgalco.com/Women.asp

You won't find the perfect method which suits you immediately, so don't get discouraged... it takes patience and repeated trial (for all of us).

Thanks for the many links. I have been wearing my Glock 26 on my belt(under a baggy sweater) all day now, I thought I would be more aware of it. I did remove the extra clip from the holster, so I have 11 in the pistol, with no extras. I can see that while driving with the seatbelt attached it would be impossible to access unless I wore it on the left side which I will try next. Wearing on this side may give better access anyway as it seems the pistol is too high and too far back as it is worn on the righthand side.

N

It is an UncleMikes Sidekick(not leather), size 15, made for the Glock 26, and has a sidepouch for an extra clip. I do not like it, as the place to put the belt through is MUCH too tight and I have to put something through first to make a pathway for the belt.

Also, when wearing a pistol on a belt in a holster, what is the trick to keeping the pistol from falling off when you unclasp the belt?

A paddle holster would do a better job of staying in place when removing a belt... but the best option is to simply hold the holster & gun as you remove the belt. If the holster flops over when the belt is simply loosened, but not removed, that's an indication that you need a stiffer belt (or a paddle holster).

Not with this holster, to put the belt through the holster loops is a major project, so if one unclasps the belt(mainly a ladies concern) the holsterw/pistol about falls to the ground. Very awkward.

that uncle mikes is an ok holster. i have one, but the retention factor sucks. that holster will fit the G26,27,33,36.......you get my point.

if your a well-endowed lady, you could always look for the bras that have holsters too. they make them. there is also a line of shirts that can be worn as an undershirt, and they have a place for a firearm too.

Guest nancy

I have a gentleman friend who carries all the time and he says that in the spring/summer he wears a baggy tropical-print shirt over his main clothes if he must be in a public place. That sounds doable to me.

I did a quick check on the above link,masterofconcealment, I would still like to try an ankle holster but at $80, that is an expensive Tried it and Don't Like it investment.

Hi Nancy, I am a lady and have gotten a few different types of holsters already so I have a little experience with different types. I have never used an ankle holster but I think the Glock 26 which I also have btw would be way to much for my ankle. After trying several types I finaly got the bellyband and love it (I can even powder my nose in the ladys room without worrying my gun is going to fall out of the holster). I also got a fanny pack which will be nice when I am walking my dogs or busy with my hands and need the pack for gun and wallet etc.

My only concern is in the summer months the belly band will be hot, so I am not sure yet what I will do then. I am thinking of getting the Uncle Mikes inside the waist holster for it and put a velcro strap on it to make sure it stays in. I have an Uncle Mikes inside the waist for my S&W Jframe and I like it alot but I feel like the gun is going to fall out if I bend over LOL. I don't think it will but I love having a little peace of mind in knowing that it is pretty much gonna stay where I put it until I need it.

Guest Bronker

Nancy

For what it is worth, I'd have to say to consider the www.smartcarry.com

My wife plans to carry her .38spl revolver in this holster, and I already carry my XD .40 cal automatic in a smartcarry. It is much easier for her than it is for me to wear. When you see the design, you'll know why:blush::woohoo:.

I carry it summer, winter, in all clothes, etc. So will she.

I too could not feel good at all about sending my wife out in an ankle holster. Way too difficult to drop everything (maybe a kid??), crouch, pull the pants leg up, draw, aim and shoot. The distance alone that you go from threat to trigger pull is costly. Takes way too long.

Just a husband's perspective. Worth two pennies.

Good luck, be safe.