? on my move to TN

Guest Larry

It will be to Sumner County. I am in Texas now, just wondering if TN is NFA friendly, I have surpressed and F/A.

thanks to all------------------

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get used to the way TN weapon stuff works.

Damn near everything is against the law, but there are exceptions.

NFA stuff is illegal, EXCEPT if you are federally licensed.

Handgun carry is illegal, EXCEPT if you have carry permit.

Loaded long gun in car is illegal, EXCEPT if you have carry permit.

Over 4" knife is illegal, EXCEPT if you are hunting, camping, fishing, etc.

Like that. One diff tween here and Texas, you can conceal or open carry with permit.

- OS

Guest brandon_pitt

Its only the sheepish people that would give you funny looks for open carrying. Watch at for those gunbuster signs!!!

You will have not problem getting a CLEO sign off in Sumner county. If you live in one of the cities like White House or Hendersonville you get the city police chief to sign off, if you are outside the city limits like I am you will get the county sheriff to sign your forms. If you have any other questions just let me know. I am on the western Sumner/Robertson County border.

Guest moreland281

OhShoot you are wrong on the NFA stuff, TN is NFA friendly and no Federal License is required.

Now if you are talking about the Form 4 Tax Stamp to own a NFA item, you have to do that everywhere unless you are a FFL with a SOT Stamp.

You'll get used to the way TN weapon stuff works.

Damn near everything is against the law, but there are exceptions.

NFA stuff is illegal, EXCEPT if you are federally licensed.

Handgun carry is illegal, EXCEPT if you have carry permit.

Loaded long gun in car is illegal, EXCEPT if you have carry permit.

Over 4" knife is illegal, EXCEPT if you are hunting, camping, fishing, etc.

Like that. One diff tween here and Texas, you can conceal or open carry with permit.

- OS

OhShoot you are wrong on the NFA stuff, TN is NFA friendly and no Federal License is required.

Now if you are talking about the Form 4 Tax Stamp to own a NFA item, you have to do that everywhere unless you are a FFL with a SOT Stamp.

That's all I meant. "license"="stamp", sorry to have been on wrong side of split hairs. :stare:

However, notice that it is also a state offense in addition to federal to have "unstamped" NFA items such as short barreled rifles/shotguns, silencers, etc. It may be that way by statute in all other states, too, I don't know.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest moreland281

No problem, just some people tend to think that NFA stuff is illegal unless you are a dealer or have a special license and I try to inform those that anyone can own a NFA item in TN without those special licnese lol

File your 5320.20 for a permanent change of address and you'll be good to go.

When you want to buy additional NFA items, you'll find that TN is a 'must sign' state for Form 4s. Send it to the county sheriff, and they 'must sign' unless they have knowledge that they should not.

All NFA items are legal to own in TN with no additional requirements above the Federal ones.

Guest Larry

Thank you, I will wait until I move in then the 2nd day! do it, I have several NFA items I have bought over the yrs, where I live in Texas I can shoot in my back yard, thats going to be hard to loose. AR7 surpressed,10-22 surpessed,45 cal supressed SMG,1918BAR and Colt m16 A1. it took yrs to get them.

Thank you, I will wait until I move in then the 2nd day! do it, I have several NFA items I have bought over the yrs, where I live in Texas I can shoot in my back yard, thats going to be hard to loose. AR7 surpressed,10-22 surpessed,45 cal supressed SMG,1918BAR and Colt m16 A1. it took yrs to get them.

Dang, I think I need to be your friend! LOL

Guest Larry

Yes I do its made by Royal typewriter, a model 1918 not select fire but a fast and a slow Full Auto, wood forearm and a black plastic stock.

Guest Larry

I am currently in NE Texas planning a later year move to the Hendersinville area as soon as I put all the pieces together. I was wanting to meet other shooters in the area. I used to take my shooting very serious, but now it just fun, I once said "Shooting took my life and family and gave me a new one." or hope it will do so. The competetive end of it got to me and I just had to back off it for awhile, but always went back to it. I will probably sell some of my NFA items when my ammo supply runs low, I dont see how they can afford it these days. I have a bad knee and I am not competetive moving anymore but its sure fun trying. I did a live fire demo for our club some months back with a gallon can of gasoline mixed with dawn and sugar in it, shot with a BAR with tracers, it was very impressive shot at dusk. I take some of the kids in the orphan home close to here shooting all the time with me, they love it. We put on a IDPA match in wheelchairs for all to make if fair to all last year, it was great.

• 1 month later...
Guest Larry

Several yrs ago I asked my police chief to sign off for a NFA weapon before I moved here, he refused as no civilian needed that! He said I could legally force him to do so but would not advise it! I went to the county sherriff and no problems. Some are just not worth the effort to speak to !

Guest coldblackwind

On the 2nd day after you move deal, I hope you plan on doing the paperwork before then... Pretty sure you have to have the paperwork in and approved BEFORE you cross state lines with NFA items. At least thats what I've heard in the past, never taken mine across state lines.