.....but I ain't on Facebook!

Every day it seems friends and family ask me for my facebook account or want me to "friend" them on Facebook. ".....but I don't have a Facebook page."

so they say, "you can get in contact with people you waven't seen in 30 years!"

I say, "Well maybe there's reason I ain't seen'em in 30 years and I can probably go another 30 years without seeing them."

I have lived my life under the radar. I have a small group of trusted friends and my family and don't feel the need to go global.

If family and friends want to contact me, they can call me one the telephone or write me a letter. I am not going to have my personal profile displayed on the world wide web....dang it!

Somebody slap some sense into me!

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Every day it seems friends and family ask me for my facebook account or want me to "friend" them on Facebook. ".....but I don't have a Facebook page."

I say, "Well maybe there's reason I ain't seen'em in 30 years and I can probably go another 30 years without seeing them."

I have lived my life under the radar. I have a small group of trusted friends and my family and don't feel the need to go global.

If family and friends want to contact me, they can call me one the telephone or write me a letter. I am not going to have my personal profile displayed on the world wide web....dang it!

Amen, brother.

See I Thessalonians 4:11-12 "...and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

I know a lot of folks. They're scattered all over the US. A few are outside the US. The reason I haven't stayed in touch is that it's impossible thru conventional means. Facebook solves that problem. It's not for everybody, but it works for me. You can control what people see.

I'm with ya!

I am on facebook, but just to keep track of my kids and to get pictures of my grandkids. My profile is private - only my friends can see it, and I have darn few friends on facebook.

Ditto!

I tired it a year ago, after a few months I suspended it.

I still from time to time have people ask if I am on there and to friend them. When I tell them I am not there they look at me like I am out of my mind.

I am in the phone book, if people want to friend me they can pick up the phone and call.

I with you. I don't want anyone minding my business, therefore I don't post it on facebook. I can't believe all the people who post on there saying "We're going on vacation next week", etc. It's like saying..."Somebody come rob me! I'm not home!!!"

I with you. I don't want anyone minding my business, therefore I don't post it on facebook. I can't believe all the people who post on there saying "We're going on vacation next week", etc. It's like saying..."Somebody come rob me! I'm not home!!!"

Facebook ain't the cause of stupid acts like that. I use it kinda like I use TGO. Big discussion board.

once a blue moon do i post on mine. I use it for the chat function on my phone

I probably post about the same amount as you, unless I'm on a tirade against anti's or something. I usually don't post gun pics. Too many libtards on my list :-)

Amen, brother.

See I Thessalonians 4:11-12 "...and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

Great verse. :D

AMEN, AND AMEN, AND AMEN! If someone wants to "friend" me, they can do it in person. A friend of mine (one of the three I have purposely whittled the list down to) and his wife have facebook accounts, then complain to me about all the trouble they have with each other. "Here's your sign." I use a telephone. But of course, I even hate texting.:D

I'm on it rarely ever post usually a select few of my high school friends , but do lurk to see what people post. I'm amazed at how people air their dirty laundry on there for every body to see and show the stupid things they do. If you post it its out there for everybody. My wife checks facebook to see a little history when someone applys for a job and I'm sure shes not the only one. I agree with gregintenn what are you thinking when you tell everyone your 500 miles away having fun for a week. Come rob my empty house?

Tried it, didn't like it. I told "friends" to e-mail or call.... and don't e-mail me with a stupid Facebook comment like, "I just went to Starbucks and had a latte." I could care less. Don't like how Facebook defaults to zero privacy when you sign up, or when they roll out new updates. In case any users didn't hear about the new facial recognition, might want to read this: Facebook Turns On Facial Recognition, Prompting Concern | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Apparently it's turned on... they just "forgot" to tell you! :D

Guest iScream
I probably post about the same amount as you, unless I'm on a tirade against anti's or something. I usually don't post gun pics. Too many libtards on my list :-)

I do post my gun pics just for that reason. Got several friends from the california bay area.

Guest Synghyn

Right there with you. I have never had any real interest in it. And every time I hear of some new "added" or "updated" "feature" that is just another way to in vade your privacy I am that much less interested.

What drives me nuts is that people constantly talk about it and just put in little needling hints. "well if you were on Facebook...." or "you WOULD have heard about it if you had Facebook!". Ya know what folks, not everybody is into it, if something comes up drop an e-mail at least, or I'm actually fine with texts, or even better give me a call. I was using a computer daily for a decade before my mother ever used one at all, but she's acting like I'm behind the times because I don't care to pay that much day to day attention to a "service" that makes me re-check my setting every week for some new "added feature" they slipped in unannounced.

Give me a break.

Jon

Guest mikedwood

I have a facebook account. Mainly so I can monitor and help out a couple of my customers with thier facebook accounts. They don't care anything for Facebook but if you are in a small business it's almost a nessesity.

Also one of the designers I work with is in another country and he posts a lot of stuff and pictures so it has been really neat getting to know him, what his area is like and such.

A few friends from highschool are friends on there. I'd have never seen them ever again if it weren't for facebook. It's neat to see what they are doing now and how they have changed.

As for robbery from Facebook, this lady came into one of my real life friends computer stores and they had went on vacation, when they got back they had been robbed, computers, TVs, electronics, even furniture and bed linens. It was like the robbers knew they had a week.

Turns out she posted that they were going out of town and then posted trip updates. I think whoever did it was one of her "friends" on facebook.

So if you are on facebook don't post or mentions about your wonderful trip until you get back.

Guest iScream
As for robbery from Facebook, this lady came into one of my real life friends computer stores and they had went on vacation, when they got back they had been robbed, computers, TVs, electronics, even furniture and bed linens. It was like the robbers knew they had a week.

Turns out she posted that they were going out of town and then posted trip updates. I think whoever did it was one of her "friends" on facebook.

So if you are on facebook don't post or mentions about your wonderful trip until you get back.

Or, even better, don't friend people you don't actually know and trust. There isn't anyone on Facebook seeing my vacation or gun pics that I wouldn't tell about that stuff in person.

That's what I really don't get, people who seem to think it's some kind of competition to see who has the most "friends". If you friend a bunch of people you don't actually know and then start posting stuff like when you're going to be out of town, you pretty much deserve what ever happens to you. Might as well just park your car out on the street with the windows down, doors unlocked and valuables laying in the seat.

-Chris