Around MTSU

Guest UberDuper

Guest UberDuper

Are there any carry restrictions in the areas around MTSU?

Out in AZ there was a lot of debate about some of the areas surrounding ASU.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest UberDuper

That wasn't what I was asking.

In Arizona there are several areas that are owned by ASU that just appear to be public areas with no connection to ASU. It's generally believed that these areas fall into the Gun Free Zone™ even though they're not generally thought of as ASU campus.

I drove by the school today down Rutherford Blvd and on over to the slick pig (no comment) and it got me wondering if it's okay to carry in that area.

Guest kickstand
If it's part of the university it is illegal to carry.

+1 Those buildings (and parking lots) owned/used for classes across the street from "campus" are part of the university. The rest of the Boro is good to go, and as far as driving down the main roads on the border of main campus (like Mid TN Blvd or Main St), that's fine, it's a public road.

+1 Those buildings (and parking lots) owned/used for classes across the street from "campus" are part of the university. The rest of the Boro is good to go, and as far as driving down the main roads on the border of main campus (like Mid TN Blvd or Main St), that's fine, it's a public road.

Don't know about MTSU, but at UTK all the through streets and sidewalks on those streets are Knoxville City property. Doesn't figure in much for students/staff/faculty, but significant distinction if one is just walking around or through campus.

- OS

Guest 73challenger

Does anyone know if the streets that go through ETSU are ETSU or city property? I'm guessing ETSU property. Also, I think the BP on campus must not be or they could not sell alcohol there?

Does anyone know if the streets that go through ETSU are ETSU or city property? I'm guessing ETSU property. Also, I think the BP on campus must not be or they could not sell alcohol there?

Go to the city hall/county admin building... ask for a map of city and state roads in that section of town... they're required by law to allow you to review that map for free if it's for personal use.

Ever seen them being worked on? Who was working on them?

Are there any parking meters? If so, are they city ones?

Those are clues. Or do some research as per JayC's suggestion.

Almost certainly, any of the through streets are owned and maintained by the city. If you think about it, would just about have to be, since all the main water/electrical/sewer/storm drains, etc. are under them.

Again, this doesn't help someone who has to actually step off the street-side sidewalks to interact with the campus, though. And I certainly don't tempt fate by open carrying on those streets, either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have always had that question I go back to my alma mater from time to time several streets run throw campus and are city streets. So would it be legal to carry or leave a gun locked in my car while parked on one of the streets, I don't want to get into a discussion on "why would you leave a gun in your car to steal" but if they are city streets shouldn't it be legal?

I have always had that question I go back to my alma mater from time to time several streets run throw campus and are city streets. So would it be legal to carry or leave a gun locked in my car while parked on one of the streets, I don't want to get into a discussion on "why would you leave a gun in your car to steal" but if they are city streets shouldn't it be legal?

There's never been case law on it to my knowledge.

Likely our seemingly anti-gun AG would opine that it's not.

But logically, if it's unposted city property, it would be legal. (my opinion, IANAL).

- OS