being a newbie

and having my hcp on the way, do you start to tend to look at other people and notice other people carrying more? I havent been around guns too too much through out my life, but a little here and there. When in the other hands of other people they have always kind of made me nervous, because you dont know other peoples intentions, nor how well they are mentally :P

Anyways, I was getting gas a moment ago, and saw a guy get out of his car, and notice I saw him pull his shirt over one that he had IWB on his back hip. I hardly ever notice this...is it just me with about to be a carrier as well??

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I've never noticed anyone carrying around here. I've never seen anyone open carry, & I havent noticed any bulges that could be a concealed weapon since I started really kind of looking a couple months ago when I started thinking about getting my HCP. I dont know if people around here just dont carry much, or if they are all pretty well concealed, or if I just dont get out much...... :P

Guest 808-South

I try to notice any possible weapons on any person. Knife, gun bulge....etc Now Im in TN, I try to be more aware of my surroundings and the people in it. Possible threats , possible situations....etc

Call me paranoid or prepared....what ever you call it.

Guest nysos

The only time I really notice people carrying is when I am in the fun err gun store. Aside from that I rarely see other people carrying. I tend to notice sketchy body language before I notice something like a weapon, but I guess this is good anyways because I have always been able to tell when a fight is about to break out in a bar long before it happens and point out who would start it. Weapon or not, at least I can spot aggressors.

When you start paying attention to the laws, your rights and becoming more alert you may notice others a bit more.

I see a few people carrying, maybe it is because more people carry now then they did years ago.

When I go out to eat is normally when I spot someone else carrying.

The other morning I took my wife out for breakfast and I will leave the restaurant out but we were having a nice breakfast and I for some reason I didn't carry that morning

Sitting there almost done, a customer got into a dispute with the manager and then with outside a little angry. He was outside at his car, could see him out the window. I seemed to be the only one that paid attrition to that. Since we were done I was trying to hurry my wife up to leave just in case. ( I was not armed and if trouble arose I didn't want to be in the middle of it) Could not get her moving and he came back, I was on high alert, as he walked back, hand in his front right pocket as he entered the building. He just went back to his party and nothing happened. However he didn't seem to be on anyone else's radar.

It is strange, how something can happen, then everyone goes back to normal right after.

Guest clownsdd
I try to notice any possible weapons on any person. Knife, gun bulge....etc Now Im in TN, I try to be more aware of my surroundings and the people in it. Possible threats , possible situations....etc

Call me paranoid or prepared....what ever you call it.

What has being in TN have to do with it? Were you somewhere before that there was totally safe?

Guest 808-South
What has being in TN have to do with it? Were you somewhere before that there was totally safe?

I grew up in Hawaii. And guns are not around as much as in TN, almost no one carries a gun in HI, only the law. Carry permits are not available to citizens, and for personal own it is very difficult to attain a firearm.

To carry a gun in HI it is thought of by the locals as, you being a coward if you need a gun to fight. Skin on skin Fights. Its a different way of life there.

And in Hawaii Im not hated or discriminated against due to my brown skin. I need to be more aware here of my surroundings in TN.

Guest SUNTZU

You will notice those who are carrying more. Those who don't carry will rarely notice you carrying. Sometimes I think you could carry a rifle over your shoulder and most people wouldn't notice.

Guest 808-South
You will notice those who are carrying more. Those who don't carry will rarely notice you carrying. Sometimes I think you could carry a rifle over your shoulder and most people wouldn't notice.

Its sad that many will never notice a situation happening and until they become victims.

When I first started carrying I would look for others who carried. Saw some I may not have seen before but not many.

I live near the Tennessee/Kentucky border and go to Kentucky quite often and see more there but about half are carrying openly.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
I live near the Tennessee/Kentucky border and go to Kentucky quite often and see more there but about half are carrying openly.

I've seen several people carrying openly in Kentucky too. Probably cause they dont have a permit yet.

i'm not sure if it is legal anywhere but i consider it a bad idea everywhere. Holsters were invented for a reason. But to the orginal thread....i still look for people carrying. I see it from time to time. I consider then friendlies til they do something stupid to change my way of thinking

lol, is that legal in some places to just lay your arms around in the open?

not sure... found the pic online. notice he has an alcoholic beverage... thats not legal when carrying a gun anywhere as far as i know. i think it was from an article on alcohol and guns

not sure... found the pic online. notice he has an alcoholic beverage... thats not legal when carrying a gun anywhere as far as i know. ..

Depends on the state.

Not illegal to drink and carry in TN necessarily either, as long as you didn't do it in a commercial establishment open to the public.

- OS

I haven't noticed anyone carrying since I got my HCP, but lots of people wear really baggy clothes so they could be carrying anything really.

I assume either the majority of people just aren't carrying anything, or those that do are concealing them reasonably well. Only place I see OC is in gun stores, by the employees.

i tried to find the alc beverage at first too, but I couldnt....i took it for a water with lemon or lime.

I just noticed that he was at a bar, dude next to him with a beer. I saw the lime, and the drink looked a little darker so i was thinking tequila. That was just my perception of it...

Awareness thru exposure perhaps. You may notice it more now but I wouldn't concern myself with the intentions of everyone you notice that conceals a handgun unless they draw it or it's your job and you risk dying before the end of your shift. All types of people carry handguns for whatever reason they choose but it's a lot easier to spot the bulge on the hip of the guy carrying a glock 21 under a dillon tshirt than it is a little old lady with a hammerless j frame in a supertuck. It will take some time for it to feel normal for you to carry a concealed handgun and be confident that not everyone is staring at you and trying to figure out if you are. That's normal at first. Just do it lawfully and with a little thought toward concealment. Lucky for most of us the latter has been figured out for what most of us carry.