Guest Oaklands

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
we are on full zombie alert at the house

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm 50 miles west of your position. Power flickering. Nothing moving....yet.....

Guest tnfireman

What part of Morristown are you in? I have been listening to the scanner and it sounds like I may have to head to the Rescue Squad to help out tonight.

Guest Mr.26

Power is out

and code-red is in full affect at my house!!!

Knoxville whittle springs area

Side note;

Tree fell on the wifes car:death:

Edited by Mr.26

Hmph. Can't even get much more than scattered showers here. It's rained more today than in quite some time. The garden sure us thankful.

Sorry about the power. If the walkers become a problem, don't hog the fun. Do get a message out.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Here on the West end we have had the rumblings most all day but not a drop.

I hope you get your power back soon before the Zombies can organize, they are slow to do so but can cause major problems once they do.

FWIW radar for the whole state looks clear for now.

We are apparently in the middle of it. It went out at 2045 or so and is still off. G/f thinks storm lantern and multiple flashlights excellent idea, not that she has been that critical of then to begin with. Was fun reading my kindle by storm lantern last night, although the battery powered light on the case for it was easier on the eyes.

BTW: heavy tree damage and traffic lights out throughout Knoxville according to what I saw and heard on the radio this morning. Clinton Highway is all kit up from Metler Drive to Edgemoore.

Edited by Paladin132

The power flickered a bit last night, howling wind (50+ mph), and torrential rain for a good 20 minutes. No damage at my house, but a neighbor has a tree down. Several more trees down on the way to work, though none appeared to have done significant damage to houses.

We sure do need the rain, but I'm beginning to think drought is better than repeated damaging storms.

I left work (Lovell Road area) at 8pm last night - just in time that the full weight of the storm hit just after I got in the truck. I have an '01 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD and the wind was rocking it like a matchbox car. Lightning was striking so close that the thunder was coming simultaneously with the lightning strikes. There were trees and parts of trees and other debris in the road. The construction barrels on Lovell Road were blowing around like aluminum cola cans.

By the time I got home (Loudon), things had settled down. The power might have flickered or been off earlier but it didn't go off after I got home.

I did take out several zombies after I got home. That wasn't surprising, though as I had fired up 'Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare'.

Edited by JAB
Guest Lester Weevils

Power only went down less than an hour here right at nightfall.

Another tree took out a part of the fence in the back woods. Limbs and trees bend a piece of the fence at least once a year. They don't call em storm fences for nothin. I keep several spare top-rails and repair splices to minimize trips to the hardware store. It is nice having some fenced woods for the dogs to play in, but there are disadvantages.

It is not bad at all compared to what some areas are having to put up with.

Guest UberDuper

I've had more power outages at this house in the last 2 weeks then I had the entire 6 years in my Avondale, AZ home. I suppose I should have expected it.

Need to scrape together the money to buy a UPS and expand the capacity for 30 min to an hour of runtime on my computers. 55+ Ah deep cycle SLA batteries are not cheap. B)

Just got Comcast TV/Net back since 8:30 last night.

Some 50,000 customers in KUB area still without power, 125,000 locations out at max last night, which pretty much equaled Hamilton County count during the tornadoes in May.

- OS

Just got Comcast TV/Net back since 8:30 last night.

Some 50,000 customers in KUB area still without power, 125,000 locations out at max last night, which pretty much equaled Hamilton County count during the tornadoes in May.

- OS

Did you know Ruger came out with a .357 magnum bolt rifle during the outage?

Biggest outage in KUB history and they don't even cover all of Knox County. Most of West Knox is LCUB. Many outages there too.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Lester Weevils
I've had more power outages at this house in the last 2 weeks then I had the entire 6 years in my Avondale, AZ home. I suppose I should have expected it.

Need to scrape together the money to buy a UPS and expand the capacity for 30 min to an hour of runtime on my computers. 55+ Ah deep cycle SLA batteries are not cheap. :D

Hi UberDuper

Dunno if that is common in Murfreesboro, but this year in Chatt we have had more power outages in this half-year than several years previously. So this spate of bad weather may go away and go back to normal.

My street had power poles down in two different wind storms generating two different longish outages this year. High wind but luckily not a whole bunch of property damage in the immediate neighborhood.

Usually in Chatt if we have a good ice storm every year it keeps the deadwood cleared out. But if it goes several years without a good ice storm, then the next one drops limbs on powerlines all over town and makes a general problem.

This thread discusses the backup power issue a bit. There are also several threads about generators.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/survival-skills/56704-tornado-chattanooga-area.html

A decade ago, after a long outage from a winter storm, I built a big long term UPS. But outages have been so rare in the decade since, it didn't get hardly exercised and the 100 AH guardian AGM battery bank went so bad they didn't do me any good this year. Am deliberating whether it makes a lick of sense to buy hundreds of dollars more batteries and get the thing back operational.

I did go get a honda small quiet lightweight 2000 watt inverter generator. It ain't much power, but it is about as convenient as it gets and makes pretty clean power. The big portable generators are heavy and a lot of trouble to get going, even if they do deliver more power. And a lot of the big ones are incredibly loud.

A built-in whole house propane-powered backup genny would be great. Maybe it will make sense to buy one if this keeps up into the future. But if I had installed a built-in backup genny ten years ago, it wouldn't have got much use until this year and would probably be in worn-out bad shape just from sitting there for 10 years.

Runingfree, I am not that far from you but ours came on before noon. We are up central avenue pike about a mile south of Callahan Drive. Hope yours is up by now.

Oh, and an update: it was off long enough we ha to go to the store again. Eggs, milk, yogurt, and meat were all bad. Dang it!