Can't see second page of thread

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Possible additional info--

Maybe an admin just repaired whatever was wrong with the above thread, or it may be cookie or cache related.

I just deleted all temp internet files and now that thread shows in its entirety.

When the bug was happening, and I would click on the "last page" button, the entire internet explorer window frame would flash momentarily. Not just the content of the window. The entire window would briefly vanish then re-draw (and load the page 2 rather than the mystery page 3).

Maybe the forum software uses cookies to remember browsing details that got corrupted. Or maybe this instance is a problem with IE 9 rather than the forum software.

I'm seeing similar trouble with page 3 of this thread--

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/59244-scout-rifle-recommendations-2.html

It would be interesting if the bug only affects the person who last-posted a reply on a thread, but other people can see the rest of the thread.

Can ya'll get to page 3 of that thread and read the last 2 messages?

Back home on broadband.

Lester, I have TGO option for 30 posts per page, so all on that page show on the one page.

Also, I can see second page on the Hi-Point thread I started this about, on this box. Other one, dunno yet. This one is XP, other one is Win 7, cable vs. dialup, too many variables to suss out tonight.

- OS

Very weird. As of right now, this thread has 10 posts, with oh shoot being the last poster, but shows there is a second page which is inaccessible.

Even weirder is it shows 9 posts on the main page with ll duce as the last poster.

SC001.jpg

Edited by strickj
Guest Lester Weevils

Yes I have very rarely seen that problem a couple of times in the past on earlier versions of the TGO software.

The software is very intelligent about remembering what threads we have read and what threads have not been read or are new. That is one of the very good features of this software.

Maybe it keeps a lot of that data on the client in the form of cookies? If a forum had a large number of members, maybe it would be a storage problem to keep all that member-specific data on the server?

Or it could be a problem with Internet Explorer rather than the software in this case?

Anyway, clearing the caches seems to fix something.

Maybe it keeps a lot of that data on the client in the form of cookies? ...

Cookies are client side; they interact with the TGO database where all the major settings are saved. That's why your settings, read threads, etc are always the same if you access TGO from a different computer.

Here are all the cookies that TGO puts on my end, as viewed in Firefox. As I understand them, they are all "interactive" in nature, basically supply a few basics to TGO database queries to display your particular TGO server side information.

I deleted them all, didn't change any of the probs. Firefox lets you delete selected cookies, rather than have to zap them all and lose all cookie based settings, logins, etc from all sites. IE allow that yet?

TGOcookies.gif

(I'm posting a lot fewer pics lately, since still have to do them longhand) :(

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks, those are excellent points, Mac.

It may have been sheer coincidence that wiping all the caches in IE 9 caused the thread to display correctly.

I have got security conscious to the point that I have the browsers set to only accept a limited set of cookies, and to wipe all cookies and history every time the browser quits. So every time I launch the browser I have to sign in to forums of interest. I ought to see if there is a way to tell Safari and IE to also wipe caches on every exit.

Silly, perhaps.

Next time if a thread display problem happens, will try to view the thread from another computer and see if whatever the problem is, is local to one machine.

====

I wasn't aware that the message page size could be adjusted, so went into General Settings and set mine to 60 messages per page.

While there, noticed that there are three available message editors available--

- Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

- Basic Editor - A simple text box

- Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

I set mine to "Basic Editor" and tested a few picture URL's, and they seemed to paste in and show the picture properly. Maybe it was only accidental coincidence that it was behaving better that day. Maybe the selected editor really doesn't make a difference on picture url's. It requires more than one test session to judge such things.

Or maybe the new "Enhanced Interface" editor is what mucks up pasted-in picture URL's?

It's doing it again. This thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/59462-child-killer.html

Can't see second page. It says "1 of 29", but there are 33 posts. Set for 20 or 30 per page, still can't see second page. Set for 40 per page, can see them, but it still says only 29 posts there at top.

2 diff puters, one with XP, one with Win7, Firefox 5.

edit: wow, whole site went down for 15 min after my post. Sorry.

Anyway, I logged out to see if were something about a thread where I posted near the end. But no, same results as non-member, same wrong count of threads at top of page.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18
It's doing it again. This thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/59462-child-killer.html

Can't see second page. It says "1 of 29", but there are 33 posts. Set for 20 or 30 per page, still can't see second page. Set for 40 per page, can see them, but it still says only 29 posts there at top.

2 diff puters, one with XP, one with Win7, Firefox 5.

edit: wow, whole site went down for 15 min after my post. Sorry.

Anyway, I logged out to see if were something about a thread where I posted near the end. But no, same results as non-member, same wrong count of threads at top of page.

- OS

It's doing the same for me only I can't load the 4th page of that thread.

Read the announcements, folks. Nothing is going to improve until I get us moved to the new server.

Saw announcement, David, didn't see how this was a server issue.

Nor this format layout wackiness in the Handgun Carry forum only:

layout.gif

Then again, if you dump vBulletin altogether with hosting change, I see it will be eventually moot. In meantime, thought you might want to have all the software glitches "on file".

Like others, I certainly express my gratitude for your ongoing efforts!

And I just re-upped Benefactor Status to help support it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot