Ongoing Problem Effort : Slow page loads subsequent to vBulletin 4.1.4 upgrade

• Administrator

I am working on getting our page load times back down to where they belong. Factors involved at the moment:

• vBulletin 4.1.4 probably buggy; they are talking about version 4.1.5 soon to "correct" things
  • Our forum database is close to one gigabyte in size. TGO's data is huge. Ask anyone what 1GB of text looks like. I could hardly believe we have that much stored.
  • We may be sharing resources with others on our host and may need to upgrade servers again. I'll keep an eye on this as it's the trickiest.

The bottom line is that things are not running as smoothly as I'd like, post upgrade. This is in addition to the quirks that the new editor has brought in respect to posting images and such. Further, I remain unimpressed with vBulletin software and am still considering all options, up to and including moving to another software package.

Your patience is appreciated. B)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Thanks. These problems cause everyone a lot of frustration and I'm not immune to it either. I hate slow page loads, especially if they are on this forum since I usually can do something about it. Usually. B)

Thanks. These problems cause everyone a lot of frustration and I'm not immune to it either. I hate slow page loads, especially if they are on this forum since I usually can do something about it. Usually. :lol:
Thanks for the update. I just switched to ATT U-Verse bundle and thought that was the problem.
  • Administrator

I'm turning off a lot of the add-on features that I've installed over the months to see if maybe one of them is causing the excessive page load times due to an incompatibility with the current vBulletin software. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Administrator
This all came on fast, right around the editor upgrade. Good luck with the bug hunt. Frustrating process.

I believe the editor has a lot to do with it, to be honest. It has a much larger "footprint" in terms of calls back to the database in order to do the "auto-save" feature and things like that.

I believe the editor has a lot to do with it, to be honest. It has a much larger "footprint" in terms of calls back to the database in order to do the "auto-save" feature and things like that.

It "feels" like that from this end. Is it possible to just roll back?

It seems faster this morning, but not fixed. Still slow going to my Inbox. Could just be a small number of editor sessions running. I'm guessing there's a way tone down the interaction with the database??? If you can turn off the chatty stuff, I'm betting they get it fixed in the long run.

• Administrator
Just got another "are you sure you want to leave this page?". That's an IE thing, right?

Got it again. It's the editor chatting with IE. More autosave weirdness?

No it's related to the new editor regardless of which browser is being used.

Guest db99wj

It is running a lot faster this morning. Yesterday, was sllllloooowwwww.

Anyway, I switched about 6 months ago to Uverse, and I will never, ever go back to Comcast/Xfinity. I switched just before the "Xfinity" marketing bs came out and glad I did, I've heard nothing but complaints and how the already behind technology, went backwards. I like the technology of Uverse, the ability to record 4 shows, watch from any room, resume where I left off, the iPhone app, picture quality, on screen guide, and the other interactive features, seeing who is calling on the TV screen is cool, makes me not have to get up anymore!

During some of the heavy storms we have had, the signal did get a bit choppy, but nothing like Comcast. Comcast would do the same when it was raining, when it was cloudy, clear, warm cold, just would do it randomly with no reason.

With the UVerse I have had to reset a few times. I've found that, even against the ATT tech's advise (they want you to call them to do the same thing, but I know the trick), when I go to the online control deal and reboot, things will go a lot faster after that. TV box has a reset right on the box, hold the power down for 10 seconds. Any issues that I have had, that is fixed them. Comcast, I would have to call India, no offense to any Indians, to get my stuff working and stay on hold for two hours. ATT Uverse tech support, the couple of times I talked with them after the install, have been great.

Anyway, sorry for the Hijack, you started it!

Forum faster, not as many error messages, thanks for what your do!

• Administrator
This kinda crap is way too common these days. I hate dealing with developers. Most of them don't even care if they broke your business. They'll probably fix it. Welcome to the field test team.

Which is one of the reasons why Invision Power Board is attractive to me. Their development staff truly seems to care.

• Moderators
It is running a lot faster this morning. Yesterday, was sllllloooowwwww.

Anyway, I switched about 6 months ago to Uverse, and I will never, ever go back to Comcast/Xfinity. I switched just before the "Xfinity" marketing bs came out and glad I did, I've heard nothing but complaints and how the already behind technology, went backwards. I like the technology of Uverse, the ability to record 4 shows, watch from any room, resume where I left off, the iPhone app, picture quality, on screen guide, and the other interactive features, seeing who is calling on the TV screen is cool, makes me not have to get up anymore!

During some of the heavy storms we have had, the signal did get a bit choppy, but nothing like Comcast. Comcast would do the same when it was raining, when it was cloudy, clear, warm cold, just would do it randomly with no reason.

With the UVerse I have had to reset a few times. I've found that, even against the ATT tech's advise (they want you to call them to do the same thing, but I know the trick), when I go to the online control deal and reboot, things will go a lot faster after that. TV box has a reset right on the box, hold the power down for 10 seconds. Any issues that I have had, that is fixed them. Comcast, I would have to call India, no offense to any Indians, to get my stuff working and stay on hold for two hours. ATT Uverse tech support, the couple of times I talked with them after the install, have been great.

Anyway, sorry for the Hijack, you started it!

Forum faster, not as many error messages, thanks for what your do!

I've had Uverse for about 4 months, this has pretty much summed up my experiences as well. I will NEVER go back to Comcast.