My opinion where need not carry

Guest 808-South

I was taught that no one should EVER know you're carrying until it becomes a necessity to draw your weapon - and then it is because it is a life and death situation. I have been criticized for carrying in certain "family" places but no one would never know I am and those are just the places that might be the target for some "shock" attack. Personally, I don't believe you should be prohibited ANYWHERE. Where legal carry is prohibited only the bad guys have guns. Just my take on this.............

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick around 808. You'll learn the ways of TN and the ratioanle behind carrying. You're about half way there. Just a little more de-programming that "HI logic" out of ya. Seriously, in a few months of being on here, going to gun stores and ranges, and you'll be talking just like the rest of us. Chin up.

Guest nashvegas

808... Ive read several of your posts over the last few weeks.

First, welcome to TN and to TGO.

Second, You will learn a lot on this board.

I know that being from Hawaii, the right to carry is new to you. There is a definite adjustment period and learning process involved. It will take time to fully grasp the responsibility that you take on when you carry. It will take time for you to be completely comfortable carrying. You will likely eventually carry everywhere you are legally allowed to do so, and you will be uncomfortable when you cannot be armed.

There are several posts in this thread with good info for you. There are also several posts with... well, pointless crap. Sort through it.

It seems to me that you have a good head on your shoulders and here to learn... kudos.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

When you think about it, most of the time if you are carrying a weapon you really should be a "coward" in one sense of the word.

More than likely anything that happens you will need to just turn around & walk away from. If you get into an altercation over a spot in a parking lot or something like that, the LAST thing you would need to do would be to escalate it. If the other guy calls you a p***y & wants to fight, you should just turn & walk away. This would probably be seen as "cowardly" in a lot of people's eyes, but when you have a HCP & are carrying you have to think about things differently. You cant get drawn into silly squabbles.

My mind keeps going back to that incident in Ashland City a few weeks ago that was probably road rage. If that one guy would have just kept on driving instead of getting all hot & bothered he would probably still be alive today.

The only reason you would EVER draw your weapon would be as an ABSOLUTE last resort. If you are in a fairly closed in area with nowhere to run & someone attempts to rob you or something like that, or pulls a gun on you, etc.

Also, in regards to the original post, I dont see how not agreeing to "take an ass whoopin'" means that someone is a coward though. In my mind, the bigger man is always the one who can walk away.

When you think about it, most of the time if you are carrying a weapon you really should be a "coward" in one sense of the word.

More than likely anything that happens you will need to just turn around & walk away from. If you get into an altercation over a spot in a parking lot or something like that, the LAST thing you would need to do would be to escalate it. If the other guy calls you a p***y & wants to fight, you should just turn & walk away. This would probably be seen as "cowardly" in a lot of people's eyes, but when you have a HCP & are carrying you have to think about things differently. You cant get drawn into silly squabbles.

My mind keeps going back to that incident in Ashland City a few weeks ago that was probably road rage. If that one guy would have just kept on driving instead of getting all hot & bothered he would probably still be alive today.

The only reason you would EVER draw your weapon would be as an ABSOLUTE last resort. If you are in a fairly closed in area with nowhere to run & someone attempts to rob you or something like that, or pulls a gun on you, etc.

Also, in regards to the original post, I dont see how not agreeing to "take an ass whoopin'" means that someone is a coward though. In my mind, the bigger man is always the one who can walk away.

THis^

Carrying my weapon means to me: Consciously seeking out threats and actively making adjustments to avoid them. Cross the street and walk on the other side instead of walking through a mob of drinkers when you're downtown. Get in the vehicle as quickly as one reasonably [without acting stupid] can and immediately lock your doors. ....on and on. It's not cowardice and it's not paranoia, heck it's just good sense.

Edited by Caster
Guest 808-South
Stick around 808. You'll learn the ways of TN and the ratioanle behind carrying. You're about half way there. Just a little more de-programming that "HI logic" out of ya. Seriously, in a few months of being on here, going to gun stores and ranges, and you'll be talking just like the rest of us. Chin up.
Thats cool.
Guest 808-South
808... Ive read several of your posts over the last few weeks. First, welcome to TN and to TGO.Second, You will learn a lot on this board. I know that being from Hawaii, the right to carry is new to you. There is a definite adjustment period and learning process involved. It will take time to fully grasp the responsibility that you take on when you carry. It will take time for you to be completely comfortable carrying. You will likely eventually carry everywhere you are legally allowed to do so, and you will be uncomfortable when you cannot be armed.There are several posts in this thread with good info for you. There are also several posts with... well, pointless crap. Sort through it.It seems to me that you have a good head on your shoulders and here to learn... kudos.
Appreciated
Um... yeah... I'm going to go ahead and agree with you here, 808.No terrorist would ever choose such a populated venue to carry out murderous fantasies.You know, because it's a family place.
Yeah, I agree no bad guy would want to disturb such a unsuspecting target rich environment. Ego is a hell of a thing.
Guest 73challenger

I have no problem with anyone carrying at Dollywood as long as it isn't posted. I am actually going there tomorrow and was thinking about carrying. However, going upside down on a roller coaster with a firearm worries me.

• Admin Team

This thread has been covered enough. The OP and others have plenty to think about without continuing to pile on. I would encourage each of you to take this opportunity to really think about how and why you carry. If you really take those answers seriously then I would argue there are a lot of things we need to think about, learn and practice to really be an asset to society when you strap on that weapon. Your gun is just a tool. Your mindset, training, equipment and practice comprise the weapon system.