Wife new to firearms

Guest 808-South

Guest 808-South

I took my wife with me to a gunshop while I went to get my finger printing done. My wife never fired a firearm in her life. And she walks up to the counter and notices a ar15. She tells me "I want one of those". The salesman hands her the rifle and her eyes got big and began to sparkle. She says again, "I want it". We decided after a safety class and some handgun & smaller rifle cartidge range time. She wants more training and experience first. Then We would come back to get the ar15. After being married for 10 years. I just fell deeper in Love with this woman.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 808-South
You're lucky 808...mine runs and hides from the likes of evil black rifles.
Thats funny. She moved to TN 3mons after me. And was afraid of the fire arms I had collected. I taught her the basics. Safety and proper handling. So now she starting to come around and be more comfortable around firearms. When she pointed to the AR and wanted one. My knees got weak. Inside I said YES!!! With a huge smile on my face...

sounds great! my wife was the same way, people who know her would never know now how she was at first.

from what i learn when you get her to the 9mm try to stay away at first from any plastic gun. go with a heavier metal gun, less recoil and easier for to control. trying a glock first was a mistake, she hates them to this day. just like my youngest son. the glock easly stove pipes. the XD only stove pipe about 1 out of 500 rounds. the 92 vortex (i think it was) never. then she really got going with springfield full size steel 1911 in 9mm. now she has shot almost all calibers in semi pistol. 44 mag desert eagle, bren ten etc.

she also has a AR, the TAC-2 brief case AR the cool facter was just to much for her not to have.

IMHO the AR is a fine starting rifle, a little expensive but that would be the only drawback. It has almost no recoil, is accurate, and perfect for starting out. You could start with a 10-22 or something to save a little money (more if she hates it and you never buy the AR), but there is nothing she could learn with a 22 LR that cannot be done with a 223 just as easily. Of course, every gun owner should have a 22 LR anyway, so if you do not, the money and effort will not be wasted.

Guest 808-South

I planned on a 10/22 to teach her the basics. And a 22 pistol. Slowly moving up in calibers handguns & rifles. Then eventually after some experience & training her HCP. The cool thing about moving up in calibers slowly. Gives me an great reason to build my collection......Winning!!!

Guest ab28
the glock easly stove pipes. the XD only stove pipe about 1 out of 500 rounds. the 92 vortex (i think it was) never.

I've put thousands of rounds through Glocks and never had this issue. This does happen with "limp wristing" the weapon though, as the energy that is used to cycle the slide is absorbed by the wrist. This is physics though, and more of an issue with polymer framed handguns.

I've put thousands of rounds through Glocks and never had this issue. This does happen with "limp wristing" the weapon though, as the energy that is used to cycle the slide is absorbed by the wrist. This is physics though, and more of an issue with polymer framed handguns.

My wife loved her glock until she tried drills with multiple targets. Moving the gun from side to side had the same effect as limp wristing, and does not have the muscle to prevent it in that scenario. We tried everything but it just wouldnt stop jamming under those conditions. If the shooter is not built like a construction worker, glocks may not be the best choice; or any of the light weight plastic guns (its not glock's fault, its just physics vs the shooter's capability). For folks who are not very strong, a heavy gun may be more awkward to carry but will not jam as easily. She cannot jam my 9mms at all, even when trying to do so (I have several but think old model beretta 92 and similar large heavy guns). The plastic pistol problem is even worse when you do a one handed shooting drill, for those with weak arms/wrists. Not only does it cause jams, but the recoil also makes it nearly impossible to keep the gun on target for the same weak shooters. BTW the glock IS the worst about this because it has stouter springs as the gun is designed to fire hot ammo all day long -- the springs can be reduced for target loads/ practice but shooting practice ammo on the range makes the problem worse (+p rated springs on weak ammo so *any* loss of recoil energy can jam it).

As with anything, try before you buy can prevent the purchase of a gun that the shooter cannot handle. I am not ashamed to say I cannot handle a glock either -- I don't jam them up but I cannot keep them on target under the recoil, by the third shot I am lucky to still be on paper if trying to shoot rapid defensive style.

As with anything, try before you buy can prevent the purchase of a gun that the shooter cannot handle. I am not ashamed to say I cannot handle a glock either -- I don't jam them up but I cannot keep them on target under the recoil, by the third shot I am lucky to still be on paper if trying to shoot rapid defensive style.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but it is refreshing to read from someone making an honest assessment of their abilities. The way a lot of people talk when it comes to firearms and shooting you would think they are in the league of Sevigny and Leatham. When you get them on the range, the excuses fly about as fast as the bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anadais

I think the more appropriate question is what girl wouldn't want an ar15?

Wait, I keep forgetting i'm the exception, not the rule.... still though... at least i'm not alone.

Guest 808-South
I think the more appropriate question is what girl wouldn't want an ar15?Wait, I keep forgetting i'm the exception, not the rule.... still though... at least i'm not alone.
SWEET!!!!