Who are Top 5 Gunsmith in the Middle Tennessee Area?

Guest Rysaber

Guest Rysaber

Hello all, got a new 1911 45ACP from Iver Johnson. I am thinking I need the ramp buffed and shined as with in the frist 50 rounds of ammo I put through it, and I had 15 FTF issues. I also had another five of them I need to finish pushing the slide forward. I am first going to try different ammo company but I was wondering about gunsmiths if I need one.

So send suggestions this way.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try guns and leather or Uselton Arms. Both stores have amazing gunsmiths. Also, you may want to put a few more rounds through your gun before you get the ramp buffed. i recommend shooting 230 grain to break the gun in and most manufacturers recommend atleast 500 rounds if not 2000 rounds before you consider it broken-in.

Try different ammo (not hollow points), and compress your mag springs, store them loaded for a week or two first. Clean and lube the pistol, and look for any excessive burrs or scratching on the moving parts. If you find anything, try the smith if you are not into polishing stuff yourself. Don't be afraid to polish off a burr on the slide or the ramp yourself though, it takes time but its easy to do and a lot of info online on what to use and how to do it -- just be sure to understand the difference between the words "polish" and "grind" before you go at it!

Not closing fully on a round means something is either tight and unlubed or something is binding up (burr, possibly, though it could be a badly fitted piece which will require a smith). Lube the front of the barrel that slides thru the bushing and the exposed part of the barrel seen thru the ejection port as well as the usual areas (slide rails, etc). Could be the chamber needs a polish which is doable yourself but I prefer a smith for that one.

In no ranking order, these are the 3 that I have used (and continue to use) in Middle Tennessee.

Sam Hoster

Complete Gun Shop

Chad Kandros

Kandros Custom Gunworks - Nashville's Premiere Custom Colt 1911 gunsmith

Jeff Walle

Gunsmithing

Sam is the 1911 Old School Master.

Chad is the up and coming gifted 1911smith.

Jeff is a Master Class shooter whose 1911s have won championships.