Isn't this taking it a little too far?

mav

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this earlier today and can only come to one conclusion: somebody dropped a dime after loosing. Bexhill is a fairly nice middle-class subdivision. The kind of place you NEVER see cops because there is rarely a need.

There is alot more to this story that of course will never be reported.

That happened years ago on the department I was on when the guys running the game thought it would be a good idea to invite the Chief of Police and a shift Commander.

They have to either have cops inside or have a warrant. Some people are just dumber than chit. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

Long ago in my little burg I played piano for awhile at a private club which specialized in card-game gambling, along with superlative food and drink. The joint seemed to be "bust-proof" due to fiduciary arrangements with the police. But that was long ago. I'm certain that such corruption would never be tolerated in my burg nowadays. :panic:

Guest mosinon
Look at the asset forfeiture laws sometimes. You might get angry.

If you don't get angry about forfeiture laws you need to reread them until you do. That crap is insane.

Guest HankRearden
I am curious as to why there has been this series of raids going on but no one gets cuffed and stuffed. Money is confiscated and information is taken, but no arrests.

The money was confiscated. No mention of whether it was seized under civil asset forfeiture or whether it was seized as evidence.

According to the article the case was referred the DA's office. This is quite common in cases involving multiple suspects. Charges may be brought by Grand Jury indictment or a Grand Jury informational indictment or the DA's office may want warrants taken for some people and not others. Arresting everyone that night could have compromised a source before LE or the DA's office wanted that source outed.

As far as asset forfeiture laws are concerned in TN they could use some work and I am certain that is going to happen sooner than later.

Hmm, some people need to read a book or watch a movie, because even I know that you don't keep money at the table when a decent set of poker chips only cost $40. Players buy in when they arrive and money is kept NOWHERE EVEN NEAR the game and NEVER even in the same room as the chips.

For starters, this removes the emotional attachment we all have for cash, making it easier to say the words "I'm all in."

Additionally, if John Q. Law shows up, there's no cash in sight, making it appear to be a friendly game for fun. No laws appear to have been broken and to go searching for that money would require a warrant.

at least that's what I've heard :panic:

I’ve only seen a problem with the forfeiture laws when they are applied to innocent people. Are these guys innocent?

A $1000 was seized as evidence at a poker game; no big deal. As BigK stated, you don’t have cash in the open at an illegal poker game. But I’m guessing that isn’t the biggest mistake they made. :panic:

Could be worse, if it was drugs instead of gambling the state could seize the house.

Illegal poker games are busted all the time, usually when the players think they are above the law and don’t worry about discretion.

Government just making sure they get to wet their beak. They don't seem to mind that the average person gambles their very life every time they get behind the wheel of their vehicles to travel down the road a la the Deer Hunter, as the drivers (most anyway) are paying the vig for license, government getting their taste.

Guest Bluemax

This is the fourth gambling raid in a few weeks but the first at a private residence. I'm guessing somebody got arrested for something and started singing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gambler, but isn't there more significant crime to focus on than poker ??? One more thing your gonna love...this made the Drudge Report. Where's a good chicken fight when you need one ?

One last thought...if gambling is such a threat to the upstanding citizens of Knox County, why is the state lottery or the Rubber Duck Race allowed ??? This stinks !!

Edited by Bluemax
I'm guessing somebody got arrested for something and started singing.

I would bet money :panic: that when this all shakes out it is the arrogance of the people putting on the games that caused this. It’s kinda like running a firearms business without an FFL and then acting stunned that you got arrested and went to jail. :D

One last thought...if gambling is such a threat to the upstanding citizens of Knox County, why is the state lottery or the Rubber Duck Race allowed ??? This stinks !!

You are absolutely correct. This has nothing to do with protecting the poor from themselves (as was always claimed about gambling) and everything to do with money. If people are going to waste their paychecks and take food money away from their kids…. The state feels they need to reap the benefits. :shrug:

Dumb laws :shrug:

You are absolutely correct. This has nothing to do with protecting the poor from themselves (as was always claimed about gambling) and everything to do with money. If people are going to waste their paychecks and take food money away from their kids…. The state feels they need to reap the benefits. :panic:

The churches have to get their cut too.

Guest Bluemax

Just read a post on the KNS website. These guys apparently were playing with chips and the money that was seized came out of their wallets and their vehicles parked outside.

Guest 6.8 AR
I’ve only seen a problem with the forfeiture laws when they are applied to innocent people. Are these guys innocent?

A $1000 was seized as evidence at a poker game; no big deal. As BigK stated, you don’t have cash in the open at an illegal poker game. But I’m guessing that isn’t the biggest mistake they made. :shrug:

Could be worse, if it was drugs instead of gambling the state could seize the house.

Illegal poker games are busted all the time, usually when the players think they are above the law and don’t worry about discretion.

The state and federal asset forfeiture apply to everyone, regardless of innocence or guilt. Even if you

are guilty, why is it the state or federal government's property? It's a bull**** law that funds things

for government and is punishment before trial. Should have never been allowed to happen.

Guest mikedwood
The state and federal asset forfeiture apply to everyone, regardless of innocence or guilt. Even if you

are guilty, why is it the state or federal government's property? It's a bull**** law that funds things

for government and is punishment before trial. Should have never been allowed to happen.

The obivious answer is you must be into drugs and or gambling or you would fully support the law that gives the government the right to willy nilly seize assets. It's for your own good! No better yet it's for the children! :shrug:

Don’t sell drugs…. It’s just that simple.

We had some nice surveillance cars and some houses used for training or safe houses that we wouldn’t have had otherwise.

After conviction take everything… houses, cars, jewelry, guns, bank accounts, and then put their azz in prison.

People need to know that if they decide to sell drugs they could find themselves standing on the corner with the clothes on their back.

But none of that should happen without a conviction or a plea agreement.

Guest Oaklands
Hmm, some people need to read a book or watch a movie, because even I know that you don't keep money at the table when a decent set of poker chips only cost $40. Players buy in when they arrive and money is kept NOWHERE EVEN NEAR the game and NEVER even in the same room as the chips.

For starters, this removes the emotional attachment we all have for cash, making it easier to say the words "I'm all in."

Additionally, if John Q. Law shows up, there's no cash in sight, making it appear to be a friendly game for fun. No laws appear to have been broken and to go searching for that money would require a warrant.

at least that's what I've heard :shrug:

I'm pretty sure you are 100% correct. No money on the table, no gambling.

Guest HankRearden
Dont sell drugs. Its just that simple.

We had some nice surveillance cars and some houses used for training or safe houses that we wouldnt have had otherwise.

After conviction take everything houses, cars, jewelry, guns, bank accounts, and then put their azz in prison.

People need to know that if they decide to sell drugs they could find themselves standing on the corner with the clothes on their back.

But none of that should happen without a conviction or a plea agreement.

I think the last part of your statement is spot on. The current system in TN has asset forfeiture as a completely separate hearing in front of an adminstrative judge (if you seize it through the DOS route) my only issue is there are some prosecutors who do not believe in asset forfeiture in any manner.

Why should a drug dealer or pimp be allowed to keep every dime of his money proven to be obtained through illegal activity? Especially when that person has absolutely no identifiable legitimate source of income.

I'm pretty sure you are 100% correct. No money on the table, no gambling.

I guess that would depend. If you have a cop or an informant sitting in on the

game; a conviction would be pretty easy.

This is 2011…. Video…. Audio. :shrug:

Guest Bluemax
I guess that would depend. If you have a cop or an informant sitting in on the

game; a conviction would be pretty easy.

This is 2011…. Video…. Audio. :confused:

All True, but thousands of dollars seized and no arrests???